Australian RC Forums banner

FlyFly F-100 Super Sabre

18K views 84 replies 10 participants last post by  little_drifter 
#1 · (Edited)
Here is my latest plank. The Flyfly F-100 Super Sabre. I got mine from HK, others are selling it for twice the price.

I wanted another EDF and I wanted a huge one so this fill the description. It was only $115 in kit form.

Packing materials Shipping box Package delivery Wood Floor

It came double boxed and the box was friggen huge.

Wood Fish Toy airplane Aircraft Flooring

HK dont advertised that it is a FlyFly model but as the box says it clearly is.

Hood Toy airplane Aircraft Vehicle Airplane

I trial fitted all the bits straight outta the box just to see how big it would be!! Damn it is huge!

Here are the specs on the plane:

Specification:
Material: Styrofoam (EPO)
Wingspan: 1220mm(48")
Length : 1520mm(59.8")
Wing Area: 32dm sq.
Height : 440mm
Airfoil : Semi-symmetrical
Flying weight: 2700g (with air retract landing gear, 6 cells)
Fan unit: 92mm
Landing gear: Fixed

Required:
Radio : 4-5ch
Recommended power system: Not included (TBA)
Motor: 1500-1800kv (Outrunner)
ESC: 60A w/BEC
Battery : 18.5v~22.2v 5~6 cells 3600mAh 20C
Servo: Micro servo (9g) x 3, torque > 2.2kg

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
So the build has begun. I have spent about 5 hours so far and there isnt much to show for it. Mainly because i am taking my time. I dont want to rush this and screw it up. I am using 30min epoxy on every thing and not hot glue this time.

The qulity of the parts is very good and every thing has been lining up and joining together well.

Missile Aircraft Wood Aviation Flooring

Drop tanks/bombs they are huge but dont weight much at all. I might add magnets so they are removeable, they will have to be super strong magnets but. Otherwise Ill glue them in.

Toy Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive exterior

The canopy had to be cut out. I havnt glued the two pieces together yet as I might had some detail and a pilot.

Wood Automotive exterior Composite material Tints and shades Road surface

Wood Triangle Cone Line Road surface

Elevators, they dont have control surfaces, they whole elevator moves like a real jet which is cool.

#4 · (Edited)
The fuse is actually 4 pieces. I havnt glued any of them together yet as I am waiting for my package from HK which should be here monday. I need the servos to be installed and route the wires befor I glue the fuse together.

Vehicle Aircraft Airplane Missile Aviation

Aircraft Monoplane Plant Airplane Window

I had to buy 4x 900mm servo extensions, bloody hell this thing is big. I know I keep saying it but...........IT IS!

#8 · (Edited)
nah its not that big L_D, wait till the p-51 turns up, the wingspan is wider than the f-100 is long ;)

Looks like a nice plank mate, you'll have to make sure that you take a camera kid with you to get some footage of the maiden ;) Are you going to put retracts on it or leave the landing gear fixed?

I still cant bring myself to get an EDF, i like the idea of the prop wash over the control surfaces still to help me stay in control (plus lower landing speed) although i have been practicing bringing the AXN down at 1/2 throttle and cutting it 1-2' of the deck just before i land for WHEN i get an edf.

#9 ·
This will be my most powerful EDF.

This is what I will be using to get this baby off the ground...

Automotive lighting Engineering Cylinder Office supplies Audio equipment

Specs:
EDF Rotor Diameter: 86mm
Outer Diameter: 94mm
Construction: Alloy
Weight: 657g (complete unit with 4mm connectors)Motor Type: 4074 1000kv
Max Power: 4000w
Max Voltage: 37v (10S)
Max Amps: 99A
Max Thrust: 4.65kg

Power / Thrust Data:
Power: 8S / 29.6V
Max Watt: 2800W
Cont.Watt: 2550W
Amps: 82A
Thrust: 3.6kg

Power: 9S / 33.3V
Max Watt: 3300W
Cont.Watt: 3100W
Amps: 89A
Thrust: 4.1kg

Power: 10S / 37V
Max Watt: 4000W
Cont.Watt: 3850W
Amps: 99A
Thrust: 4.65kg

Attachments

#12 ·
Looking good mate. The elevators are nifty. I believe that design was one of the things that took Chuck Jager to the sound barrier all those years ago. Regular flaps wouldn't move at those speeds.

I can't wait to hear it in person one day ;)

#13 ·
The fan unit is a 12 blade, which apparently means it sounds quiter and more like a real jet which is cool.

Once it is ready, hopefully during the week we will make a day for sure to maiden both our EDF jets!!

#14 ·
Roger that! ;)

I went to Model Flight today and bought some control rods with clevis's for the Vampire. I'll have to cut them to size and do some fresh z-bends, but I'm almost there!

How do you do your z-bends?.....a vice or the specific tool?

#15 ·
for z-bends i use a pair of needle nose pliers, i find it the easiest way without the proper bending pliers. Using a vice will make it hard to get 90 degree angles into the control rod, as you cant support the wire where it has already been bent when doing the second bend while using a vice.

#16 ·
I was at model flight today at about 10:30am! I got 4x 900mm servo extensions and 30min epoxy....$60 later. Servo extensions are expensive.

I just use 2 pairs of long nose pliers or one pair and one pair of diagonal cutters. Works for me.

#18 ·
I did another hour or so on the jet last night. I honestly didnt think that it would take so long.

I just wish I had the bloody servos as I would have had the whole thing finished by now.

If HK didnt take 2 days to ship my order, the 3 day UPS postage would have made it to me in time. :(

After reading a massive thread of RCG last night on this plane, I have decided I will def get retracts for this bird. I think Ill just get the eflite one which I think are about $150. The plane looks so much better with the landing gear tucked away.

A lot of guys have also sanded and painted there Super Sabres different colours, many have also filled in the panel lines and glassed there plane with great results. I dont think Id ever do that. Although I would like to try glassing another plane just to see the results.

#19 ·
I hope that edf has enough power..that's gona be a bloody heavy plane

Ps Rambro is on the take

#20 ·
So 10s L_D...you know you want to...7 or 8 sounds a little reserved : )

Good Luck on the maiden....remember....vids & pickies will be required

#22 ·
I have taken two servos out of a plane that has been sitting around for a while so I was able to continue with the F-100 today. I have done all teh glueing except the two halfs together. I have chosed to glue the bombs on for now. If it slows the plane down too much Ill just chop em off.

I have Thursday off work and I believe that the parts should be here by tomorrow so if the weather does the right thing Ill be maidening this big beast then!

Cant wait

#23 ·
I have just glued the two halfs of the fuse together. It its as straight in the morning as I have just left it ;)

So thats all of the glueing done.

All I need to do is install ESC, EDF, 2 aileron servos, bind the rx and then spin her up to make sure she sings and then hit the run way.

These pics were befor I had glued the fuse together.

Plant Sky Aircraft Vehicle Tire

Vehicle Aircraft Airplane Aerospace manufacturer Flap

Aircraft Sky Airplane Aviation Aerospace manufacturer

#24 ·
looking the goods mate ;)

It is friggin huge! cant wait for the p-51 to get here, although i think it may take me a while to work up the balls to put it in the sky! I have just found out that there is another flying club that is close to me (3 within 100k's) only about 20-25k's to this one, and i have met the president and their fee's are reasonable so i think i may join up so that i have a decent runway to use, as well as having some experienced people on hand for the maiden to make sure that i have the retracts and flaps set right, may even get someone on the buddy box with me just incase i get dumb thumbs in the air, not to mention i havnt had to use any of the aux switches and knobs on my 9X while i am flying

#25 ·
My DSX9 has heaps of knobs and switches and it can be tricky to flick switches while flying.

Joining a club is a good idea, I am still umming and arring about joining one. For me its just for location as its only 10ks from home and on the way to and from work so i could fly straight after work.

The plane should be done by the end of today if my parts arrive and I dont have to pick them up after work.

I cant wait to fire up this EDF, should sound sweet. I'll take a vid of it.

#26 ·
the only reason i am thinking o joining this club is that membership is only $50 per annum + insurance where as the other clubs around are asking $200+ per annum + insurance. The other clubs dont allow heli's either and would like to learn how to fly them from an accomplished pilot as every heli i have had has bitten the dust no more than 30secs into the maiden.

Its not so much the switches that are making me edgy about the maiden, its more the knobs as i am going to have the flaps adjustable so i can adjust it to suit in the air.

No excuses, if the parts arrive today i expect to see vid of you spooling up the EDF tonight ;)

#27 ·
I have just spent several more hours on this big mumma.

Stickers on: check

Aileron servos installed and working: check

Align bolts to secure wing and glue in place: check

Calibrate new ESC: check

Spool up new EDF on 8s: check = 1900 watts (could be a lot higher with higher C rated lipos, these were 20c)

I forgot to take the vid and will do that tomorrow.

I must say this EDF unit is very impressive. Its very well made, very well balanced and has massive power. It uses a 4074 1000kv motor, other 90mm EDF's use much smaller motors.

On 8s this EDF unit litterally almost pulled out of my hand, if I gave it to a noob to hold and would pull straight out of there hand no worries. It has massive power and should have no problem getting this plane in the air!

All I need to do now is mount the EDF and mount the ESC. The ESC is actually huge too and I have now idea where I am going to mount it. The origianl mount is tiny.

I could mount the ESC in teh canopy but it will get zero airflow. I really dont want to have to cut into the intake tube for airlfow, but if temps are an issue I will. The ESC is rated for 10s and Ill only be running 8s so it should be ok.

I must say now the plane is completely assembled and stickers are on, IT LOOSK FRIGGEN AWESOME!

#28 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.