Australian RC Forums banner

new pilot - thinking of trex 450

10K views 55 replies 10 participants last post by  Peter 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, im new here and new to RC helis in general.

I have been playing with a few differnt co-axle RC helis and now want to move onto something proper.

I have been doing alot of reading and think I have narrowed it down to a few options/ choices.

i would like some advise, or maby i just want people to tell me to just buy it already, hah

current choices -
trex 450 pro dfc supercombo
trex 450 pro dfc 6s super combo
trex 450 sport v2 combo

EDIT: and i see i can get the T-REX 500E Super Combo for about the same price as the 450 pro, would that be a better option?

I did put alot of thought into the 500 size, i have several places close by to me where I want to fly the heli, and think the 450 would be the perfect size. Im not keen on having to drive any distance to fly it. I want to be able to go 5 mins down the road and fly it.

I guess what i really want to know is if i should get the PRO DFC or PRO DFC 6S.
I can get the 6S kit cheaper then the other, should i get it? what are the advantages / disadvantages of the 6S?
Assuming I dont care about battery costs?

I have read all about the pro stripping the rear gears and how its not good for a beginner due to that fact, but i think im willing to put up with that to end up with the better heli.

Also from what i have read, replacement parts are cheap anynway, and the belt can sometimes be a pain to get it right anyway.

the kits im looking at are also flybarless...just to make things even less beginner friendly.

so, what are the pros and cons of 6S?
Im sure ill also get many people telling me what a stupid choice it is for a first real heli...so yeah, what do you all think =D?

ps i want something good, im not going to buy a cheap piece of junk, even if i am just learning.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey, I was in a similar situation not too long ago, the only difference is I was moving on from a Fixed Pitch heli, not from a Co-axial heli. Just wondering if you have a sim already? If not, definitely buy a sim as it will teach you a lot and gives you a taste of what it is really like to fly a CP heli. Going from a FP to a CP was quite a step up for me, so I think a sim is even more important when going from a co-axial to a CP.

I looked into building a T-Rex 450 as well, but I didn't go down the path in the end as I was concerned that it will be hard to diagnose a build or setup issue if I wasn't already competent with flying. From the ones you have listed however, I would probably suggest the trex 450 sport v2 combo as it uses a belt driven tail as opposed to shaft, and everything I have read suggest belt drive to be better for beginners as they are a bit more resistant to hard landing with the tail slapping into the ground, which I think is likely to be more beginner friendly. Another thing to consider is FB vs FBL, from my research, it appears that FBL can be a bit tricky to setup for a beginner, but of course if you have mates that can help you out, that might not be an issue.

As for 3S vs 6S, 6S will give you more power and longer flight time, this thread has a lot of information

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=163375

Hope that helps, cheers!

#3 · (Edited)
thanks for the reply!
how about the "T-REX 500E Super Combo"? thats pretty much the same price as the 450 pro - and about the max of my budget.

im now thinking the 500 may be a better option as from what i have read, its bigger - therefore more stable. Its also got a belt drive so may be good in that respect to. and its the same price as the 450 pro.
i know im getting WAY ahead of myself here, but i assume the 500E will have whats needed for when, if ever i do become a more advanced pilot?

EDIT: and no flight sim as yet. will look into that now, thanks =)

#4 ·
Go the 500 mate.

Easier to learn on....more stable...and repair cost are only marginally more than the 450.

Cheers,

Steve

#5 · (Edited)
Agree with what Steve said, if cost is not an issue, get the 500. I went with a 450 sized heli as I was on a bit of a budget.

Edit: The only other thing you should think about is if you have someone to help you out with the build and the learning process, if not, you might be better off with a RTF or BNF model from Blade, instead of building it yourself and trying to find and fix potential faults during the setup process

#6 ·
Consider 2nd hand aswell, there's plenty of loonys with more helis than brains lol....like me

Sent from my HTC Sensation XL with Beats Audio X315b using Tapatalk 2

#7 ·
Well here's my 2 cents - I did exactly what you want to do about 2 months ago. I was moving from co-ax helis upto CP but i did spend a fare bit of time stuck to a simulator on the PC using my actual remote for the heli which has taugh me heaps so step one go buy yourself Phoenix V3 and Radio gear to suit and this was first stepping stone for me.

I did heaps of looking and reading also and ended up getting a Trex 500 Pro FBL if cost isnt a issue then i highly reccomend it. You do have to build it but its a very satisfying procedure when you spend a hour or so after work each night crafting your own bird and seeing it come to life and also you learn alot from it for future repairs.

So cut a long story short it fly's awesome i have not been game to get it upside down or 3D but im not that game as i am on the sim but the weather in melb is crap also so i haven't had a good go at keeping it up for a long time so i highly reccomend a 500 Trex if you need a link for a cheap site to buy from ill PM you !

#8 ·
I must be the only bloke that bought a sim 6 months after buying a 550 a mini Titan and 3 mcpxs LOL

#11 ·
Trex 500E is on its way! got a free extra canopy to.

Thanks for all the offers and advice guys, im sure i wont regrest getting the bigger bird. Am really looking forward to putting it together. Thats half the fun.

Hopefully it gets here before the weekend.

Any suggeststions on a good yet reasonably priced radio & transmitter?

#13 ·
Trex 500E is on its way! got a free extra canopy to.

Thanks for all the offers and advice guys, im sure i wont regrest getting the bigger bird. Am really looking forward to putting it together. Thats half the fun.

Hopefully it gets here before the weekend.

Any suggeststions on a good yet reasonably priced radio & transmitter?
Good choice mate, you can get the DXS9 from Hobbyking also.

#12 ·
Have a look if u can pickup a 11x or dsx9, I've had both n they ate the best radios I've ever used, they go for about 350 to 600 second hand and between 450 to 1000 bucks new

#15 ·
Is there anything around the $200 mark that will work, or am i dreaming? (i had randomly put that number in my head with zero prior research)

Would any of those Dx6 radios be ok?
I will spend more if i need to (dx7 looks to be around $300 from inital search), but i still have to get batteries, charger and pitch gauge and am trying to keep things reasonable.

thanks

#16 ·
Mate for a charger, I've got an Imax b6 duo forsale, $140 posted, its 2 chargers in 1 unit that'll charge 2 6s 3000mah comfortabley at 1 time, can chuck in a pitch gauge as I have a few lying around,

As for batts, the turnigys are ok for learning and even mild 3D flying

As for transmitter, if your realy realy on a budget, a dx6i will get you in the air, but I wouldn't recommend them as they're pretty much only good for a doorstop

Your probs looking at another $300 with a 2nd hand dx6i and batteries and the charger

#17 · (Edited)
As for transmitter, if your realy realy on a budget, a dx6i will get you in the air, but I wouldn't recommend them as they're pretty much only good for a doorstop
I really dont need a door stop, my house has a ranch slider =D
I guess ill have to up the budget - so this will be a good choice?

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/dx7s-7-channel-radio-with-ar8000-no-servos-md2-SPM7800

also re the charger, im in NZ, is that a problem?

EDIT, now after more reading i found this:

http://www.ausrc.com/forum/showthread.php?29339-Why-more-than-6ch-transmitter

and it has me thinking...

what makes the 7 actually better then the 6? i have no use for the extra channel? (at least i think i dont) is there more to it then that?

#19 ·
By the way, for chargers, make sure you spend a bit of money on a quality charger. The 500E uses 6S 2500mah batteries, so if you are charging at 1C (2.5A) you will be drawing 4.2x6x2.5 = 63W of power. Most cheap chargers can only put out 50-60W of power and that would not be enough. If you want to parallel charge, you will need even more power again. E.g. parallel charging 4 batteries will require 63x4 = 252W of power output and will required 4x2.5 = 10A of capacity. With that in mind, look at something from iCharger, they can be found for around the $80-120 mark on Hobbyking, and many reviews I have read highly recommend that brand.

Another thing to note is you will also need a power supply unit, and don't cheap out on it either. Since there's a bit of inefficiency in the PSU (I think around 80% efficiency, but correct me if I'm wrong), you will need to account for that inefficiency when picking a PSU. E.g. in the above example, for 252W of power output, you will probably want to get a PSU with at least 252/0.8 = 315W

This is not a cheap hobby, and beyond the helicopter itself the tools, electronics all add up to quite a bit of money. But my believe is that starting out doesn't require a top of the line heli as I'll likely upgrade down the track, but getting good electronics will last you for awhile.

#20 ·
Charger I have needs a power supply, the $30 will get you a 350w power supply off Hobbyking, I'm using one for bout a year now with no problems and its actually made by skyrc, same brand as the charger
Sent from my HTC Sensation XL with Beats Audio X315b atalk 2

#23 ·
#22 ·
I've found hk chargers to be pretty crapola....don't balance properly

#25 ·
Haha, no worries. For the parallel charging board, make sure you pick one with the correct power plug. The one that I linked you with is for EC3 plugs which is what I use on my heli. I can't comment much on what plugs to use, but I use EC3 because my heli came with them

#30 ·
I ended up ordering the "Spektrum DX6i full range radio system with AR6200 receiver"..
I did more reading and really couldent justify spending the extra, this is my first real RC heli after all. its got the training port as well which i need.
I will upgrade in the future if i ever need to.
Now i just need to finalise batteries, charger and PSU

#31 ·
U want my charger or not?? More people interested ya know

#32 ·
hey pal, dont worry about it if you have others interested. thanks very much for the offer though, it is much appreciated, as is your advice =)

im still unsure what im going to do re charger, is there any reason why i shoudlent just buy two (or more) single chargers? looks like it may be cheaper, and local?

#33 ·
Single 200w chargers are worth more than what I got LOL

#34 · (Edited)
whatever dude, sell your thing to someone else who is interested. i PMd you asking if it was 140 deliverd to new zealand, you said it would be a bit more and never got back to me with a shipped price.
you dont need to LOL at whatever i say because it does not include buying your charger or helis

maby ill just buy a new one of those duo chargers.
thanks again for you help.

would anyone else like to comment on why not just get two chargers?

oh and is this the same? just a single charger? about $50

http://www.trademe.co.nz/toys-models/radio-control/parts-accessories/chargers/auction-489207356.htm

thanks

#35 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.