Australian RC Forums banner

Osprey

32K views 314 replies 16 participants last post by  little_drifter 
#1 ·
My Osprey arrived 2 days ago but I had no servo for it. Now I do, so here's the thread!

It was $325 from Hobbyking.

Spec.

Length: 1075mm

Width: 310mm

Height: 120mm

Weight : 2780g

Motor: 4074 size 2200kv Watercooled brusless

ESC: 180A watercooled (required)

Drive system: 4mm

Required.
Radio System (2ch) & Receiver
1 x 3kg standard size servo
1 x 5300mah 6S 40C Lipo
1 x 180A ESC Watercooled

And some pics........

Plant Sky Boat Vehicle Automotive design

Water Boat Watercraft Naval architecture Drag boat racing

Gas Auto part Plastic Bag Electric blue

Cable Wire Electric blue Electrical wiring Ingredient

Circuit component Passive circuit component Hardware programmer Electrical wiring Electricity

See less See more
#2 ·
Here is a vid from my first run with it today.

I am a boating noob, so here's a question. It seems to take a little while to get onto a plane. Is this becasue its under powered only being run on 4s, or should I adjust the trim tabs, or the COG?

Any advice would be apprecaited!

#4 ·
No programming card, is there one for this esc?

Yeah it is def under powered.

I could run 2x3s in series to make 6s but my 3s packs are only 2200mah.

I'll get a couple of 6s packs very soon, just bought a DX3R Pro so wallett is empty again.

#5 ·
Pretty sure there will be a programming card for it. Drop the 2x3S in and see how it spins up, should give it all the power it needs.

From HK websire, Timing Mode Setting (1 / 7 / 15 / 30) should be a card for it then, to change the timing.

#6 ·
Yes I just noticed that, however it didnt come with any instructions so I dont even know how to program the ESC with teh transmitter.

I'll bung the 2x3s in there and see how we go, the run time will be about 2 mins ha ha

#7 ·
Yeah run time will suck, but you will know if you are going in the right direction with it then. I did some googeling to see what card that uses and TBH there is Sweet FA in the way of information. You might need to try suport to see if they know, most likely it is the HKSS card.

#8 ·
be careful running 6s mate it will put you into the 48000rpm range. We owuld only run that high for straight line speed runs. This is a pic of mynew 2200kv on 6s setup for saw racing. I expect to pull between 350 and 400 amps. Circuit component Table Passive circuit component Desk Audio equipment

So please try a larger prop on 4s before going to 6s. Big boats need a big prop to get them up and moving.

#11 ·
be careful running 6s mate it will put you into the 48000rpm range. We owuld only run that high for straight line speed runs. This is a pic of mynew 2200kv on 6s setup for saw racing. I expect to pull between 350 and 400 amps. View attachment 15388

So please try a larger prop on 4s before going to 6s. Big boats need a big prop to get them up and moving.
Can you suggest a bigger prop mate. I don't even no the specs of the stock prop. If you even have one I'll send ya some coin for it.

#15 ·
It's a bit misleading seeing as H/K recommend a 6S for it also...... Looks great Matt. Did you get the boat from the aus store? :D

#20 ·
Looking good LD! It looks like a nice clean boat.

#24 · (Edited)
measure total length of boat and find what 25 and 30% of that figure is. In your case it is 260mm to 315mm from the transom put 2 pencil marks. Find a piece of tube to lay the boat on 1 side. roll the boat back and forth until you find the balance point. Then see if it lines up with your marks. If it doesnt move some weight (batteries ) around to suit. We always build a boat from scratch with this in mind and mock the setup till we find the right positioning for everything. You can afford to be under 30% in the Osprey
Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Wood Automotive exterior

#27 ·
Ok so tell me if I got this right.

I just marked two lines on the bottom of the hull, one at 260mm and one at 315mm. So my COG should be in the middle of these lines???

I then put the boat on its side on a broom handle and moved the lipo around until the hull balances in between these lines?? if so then my COG is now correct and was WAY OUT! :)

My cog was too far back! for the maiden today.

#29 ·
When I took the Osprey out today (with incorrect COG) I added positive angle to the strut which to me, helped with the plane.

But now I have CORRECT COG, should I put the strut back to neutral and make adjustments if required?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.