Australian RC Forums banner

Swamp Dawg Air Boat

14K views 42 replies 9 participants last post by  little_drifter 
#1 · (Edited)
The Hobbyking Swamp Dawg Air Boat finally tuned up from the Aus warehouse. They are getting slack with there turn around time. Anyway............

It has been out for a while and the last couple of times I went to buy one they were soldout. So this time I bought one. I am prob going to buy my son one also.

So here it is, the build didnt take too long at all. The kit is very simple to put together and dosnt come with instructions.

Mine out of the box had terrible ripplies in the two piece hull. Ill have to silicone or glue the two pieces together befor it goes in the water. Its annoying to have to do it but what can you really expect for a $40 boat.

Here are some pics.

Shipping box Packing materials Packaging and labeling Carton Box

The un-boxing, it came double boxed which was good. Thats somthing Hobbyking are very good at. I have never had a damaged item from trasnport.

Table Tool Desk Automotive design Bumper

The two piece hull. Have a look at the poor quality of their attempt to join the two hull pieces together.

Finger Wood Gas Engineering Household hardware

Not the normal kind of outrunner youd expect. It comes with a funny motor mount two. But I have sussed out a way to fit my turnigy motor for some more speed.

Also the prop and prop adapter are weird. Not your normal type. I have read that the prop is usually out of balance.

Bumper Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive exterior Office equipment

Not finished but quickly put it together befor I left for work this afternoon.

Not the front of the hull. Ill have to fix that befor it scoopes up the water and sinks my dawg.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Automotive exterior Electrical wiring Gas Cable Auto part

Stock motor with 25A ESC. I had to lengthen the ESC leads to reach the motor.

Rectangle Computer hardware Electrical wiring Gas Office equipment

This is how I will have the rc and ESC mounted. Not much room for the lipo. Ill be using a 3s 1300mah turnigy.

Electrical wiring Cable Hood Wire Automotive exterior

Like this one :)

Wood Bumper Automotive tire Workbench Automotive exterior

Ill have to glue the hull befor it goes in the water.

Computer Personal computer Desk Office equipment Computer hardware

Carbon and alloy motor mount.

Automotive tire Wood Motor vehicle Engineering Bumper

#4 ·
The kit requires a ESC and a rx to be added.

I am using the 25A ESC that came in my AXN Clouds Fly.

I have finished soldering the motor leads to the ESC and have turned it on.

My prop is out of balance also, sounds loud. I even think that the motor might be out of balance too!!

I have given the swamp dawg a spin on the carpet and it is fun.

I am using my DSX9 transmitter with the rudder of the boat controlled by the aileron ch. I mixed the rudder with aileron to use the rudder as it seems more natural. Ill see which I prefer.

#7 ·
Nah no way the surface is too shiny,
Maybe sikaflex or a polyurethane would be better ,
Or an epoxy
I use a hobbywing esc so I have reverse,and the stock servo died on me,my props noisy too

#9 ·
I have noticed that the stock servo dosnt centre well.

I think Ill use epoxy to glue the two halfs together. Then mightrun some silicone around just to make sure its waterproof.

My inlaws have a swimming pool and I am dying to take it around to get it wet!

#10 ·
My plan was to swap the crap motor and prop set up for somthing faster.

So this is what I did to make it work.

Circuit component Amber Hardware programmer Cable Electronic component

Turnigy 2836 - 2350KV motor.....

Blade Wood Toy Metal Event

APC prop with 4mm adapter. This prop is a 5.25x6.25

Hood Finger Electrical wiring Nail Cable

This is the size comparison to the stock motor.

Kitchen utensil Finger Wood Cutlery Tableware

The motor mount is weird....

Wood Road surface Asphalt Line Flooring

So I had to drill some holes for the motor.

Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle handlebar Automotive tire Bicycle wheel

And this is what it looks like. Now to mount it :)

#11 ·
So this is what I had to do....

Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Motor vehicle

Turn these around as the motor mount and motor shaft would allow for enough clearance.

Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle

This is what I mean...

Bicycle tire Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Bumper

Ready for action, this prop is a 5.25x6.25

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive exterior

And I just wanted to see how a 6x4 would fit. I had to file a mm or 2 off the end but it fits. :)

Now so power figures.....

Stock prop
14A
151 watts

5.25x6.25 prop
30A
306 watts

6x4 prop
35A
405 watts!!

So for now Ill stick with the faster 6x4 prop. he he he

#14 · (Edited)
Here is the first test run! 405 watts of pure airboat power!

I have to add, that this is only about 1/2 throttle.

I am not sure if it will be an overkill or not, but who cares.

When my son has his boat mine will kill his, thats all that matters! he he

#16 · (Edited)
Yeah its so much more powerful. Now sure how it will be on the water.

I have mounted the plush 60A under the deck now.

Plus I have added the stickers.

I will take it to the inlaws tomorrow after the morning shift and give it a little test.

i still havnt glued the two piece hull together. I need some G clamps. I wonder if 30 min epoxy will do the trick? should do I hope!??

#19 ·
Cheeky bugger. Aint nuffin wrong with ugg's!

I wear them every where in winter. The missus told me off for wearing them to the shops. I dont see the problem.

I just put the swampy in the bath, it took in lots of water which is annoying as I still havnt glued the hull together. I was hoping I could go for a quick spin in my inlaws pool but I think Id be going to a swim once it does the titanic on me.

Ill have to get some G clamps and 30 min epoxy the biatch together.

#21 ·
wrong way round wobbly, the slower the cure the more rock hard it gets, the faster the cure the more flexible/rubbery it is

line up 2 coke lines worth of epoxy, one with 24hour and one with 5 minute, let both cure and you will be able to stick a scraper under the 5 minute epoxy and get it off in 1 peice, the 24 hour once fully curely youll need a chisel and hammer to get it off

#23 ·
I tried using 30min epoxy to glue the two piece hull together. It looked like it was working, I left it over night to find it didnt work at all.

This is really frustrating as I still havnt put it in the water yet, and still cant until the hull is waterproof.

I think I might have to try silicone, although this surely wont hold the 2 pieces together.

Hmm any suggestions..........?

#24 ·
It's a plasic hull isn't it. I'm pretty sure it would be ABS plastic, Thick Zap Cyno should do the trick.

#28 ·
sikaflex 227 same stuff holding ur windscreen in....ull never get it off

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.