Australian RC Forums banner

Swamp Style Boat Build! Video And Pics Included

34K views 411 replies 14 participants last post by  HoldenV8Ute1 
#1 ·
Hi guys,
i was not getting much with the last thread because people thought it was just ideas and stuff do i made this new one, hopfully it will get some more advice and so on.
Here are the pics of it:

And Here is the vid:

cheers

See less See more
1 6
#3 ·
It has steering in it already! When u turn right it makes one motor go fast and one slower ect. both for forward and no reverse. How should I make the front and back not go underwater a little bit like in the video ?

Cheers

#4 ·
You won't be able to tell how it will go on open water until you try it. A 1m run in a bath tube will only show that it floats and moves forward.

Take it to the creek or somewhere and try it.

#5 ·
Her but I know it is going to get water on each end

#6 ·
You won't know how it will sit until you get the motor to speed. Only then can you consider moving the unit forward or back to get things right.... Alternative is to get a bigger bathtub!

Cheers,

Steve

#7 ·
ok i will have to take it down to a creek somwhere. it is not where the the unit is positioned, both ends are going under anyway. i will let you know when i get it in a bigger space.

cheers

#9 ·
coreflute from bunnings is your friend :D It can be hinged easily to form a water tight hull with minimal joins for minimal leaks. That design you have will work ok in a pool or other really flat water, but as soon as there are ripples in the water that "hull" will be swamped and your electrics will be toast. as ozpulse said you need a hull with a transom to stop the water flowing over the back as you slow down, which it will, and raking out the front will help it get up on a plane easier, meaning more speed, control and life from your batts ;) Also i would try to come up with a light weight way to mount your motors and house the electronics, it will make getting the cog easier than having the plane fuse to work around. If its to aft heavy it will drag the a$$ effecting the handling and wind induced stability, forward heavy will plow the bow into the water effectively sucking power from the motor as it has to work harder to push the boat

#10 ·
OK thanks for the reply mate, looks like I'll be going to bunnings or buying a hull

Cheers

#11 ·
#12 ·
i would say that it will be big enough for prob 2 hulls, you want to keep it as small and light as possible, while still having stability. the 3mm coreflute may be a little flimsy see if they have some 4 or 6mm

#13 ·
Says they only have 3mm online, so how do I make the hull? Cut it?

Cheers

#14 ·
i would cut it out, but where the sides meet i would leave it attached and fold it. im at work at the moment will draw a plan when i get home if you dont understand my idea

#15 ·
That would be great thanks, what is the advantages to corflute foam over something like styrofoam or any foam ?
Cheers

#16 · (Edited)
coreflute is pvc(?) plastic, meaning it is very flexible while retaining strength. Even though it will only be used on small ripples in the water, at speed they will hit the hull hard and probably destroy the hull if it is made from styrofoam or similar. Basically it is like corrugated cardboard, 2 layers with support ribs between, making it light but strong.

This is just a quick plan of the way i would cut the hull out. Fold along the red lines and glue then silicone the joins

Dimensions are up to you as it may be a bit of trial and error.

#17 ·
Yer I sort of get it, so you fold them in to make a rectangle sort of shape and than the 2 side parts? I have no clue of size or anything like that so I think I well be needing some help.

Cheers

#19 · (Edited)
dont do this ^^^^^ the weight of the swamp dawg based hull will be way to heavy for your little motors to push. basically strip everything you want to use from the fuse of the plane, and weigh the fuse/wings. You want to keep the weight the same OR LESS than the plane it come from. Sure use the swamp dawg as a basis, but scale it down alot. when working out the weight of the hull include all motor/esc/reciever mounts as their weight and distribution will come into play as well. Can you give me a link to the same or similar plane so that i can try and find a few specs?

#22 ·
ah ok i thought you were talking dimensions ;)

#21 ·
Well this would be the closest thing to it:
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/egrandbuy/beemybee.jpg
It looks very similar but that one looks heaps better electronics and that. Mine cost be $50 at the time which I thought was cheap it was off eBay so it was a price of crap, that was 3years ago

#24 ·
what are you planning on building it out of? That looks more like depron than styrene to me, which has different properties and strengths. Also you will need to use very thin sheets as the weight will build up very quickly, once you start using multiple pieces to strengthen the inside of the hull. Also it will be alot more fragile than a coreflute one.

#26 ·
Look what I saw at the end of my street on the construction site of a new house!!!

Next time they are up there I will ask them If I can have some, they would only be chucking it out!
So happy :)

Cheers

#27 ·
maybe add some angle to the props so they are pushing air slightly upwards, this may lift the front of the hull and possibly allow air beneath it so it will plane the top of the water instead of breaking the surface tension and causing drag. Dono if it would work....... just a thought.

#28 ·
Yeah thanks mate, I will see how it goes, hopefully I will make one out of that foam pictured, I could make a 20ft boat lol!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.