Australian RC Forums banner

Boats

3K views 19 replies 5 participants last post by  PC WIZ 
#1 ·
This is not an RC boat but when he said he had a 10mph increase when he shortened the pipes, it got my attention. I wonder if this could be implemented in RC boats.

#2 ·
Changing the length of the pipe on any engine will change the way the power is produced in the engine. Generally shorter pipe = more top end, longer pipe = more bottom end. Of course the design and shape of the pipe comes into play as well.

I cant see this being easily adapted to nitro rc , that hydro would run an external fuel pump or other system, not rely on the pressure from the exhaust to push the fuel to the engine. Having a sliding exhaust on a nitro would wear gaskets quickly causing turning issues, as well as changing the fuel pressure at the carb making it run rich/lean.

It may work with a gasser, but you will also face mounting issues to stop the pipe bouncing around, extra servo to move the pipe, another channel on the tx/rx, weight transfer as the size of the pipes that are used for rc's are proportionally bigger than the ones used on 1:1 boats as well as some other things i probably cant think of off the top of my head

#4 ·
No, no turn fin yet. I'm flat out just getting it going at the moment. I hate being poor, the guy I did 5 10 hour days work for hasn't paid me yet. He lives accross the road from me and is never home.

#6 ·
X440 Octura prop with 3/16 sleeve, 4mm solid prop shaft and I have to make up a bracket for the pipe. I have a HiTech servo on the way for the rudder.
I can get a 4mm solid prop shaft from X-Cell products at Morebank, I just have to pull my finger out and send them some money.

I will have to get a RX hump pack and charger as well.

#7 ·
Watch my thread after melboure SAW Nationals..

Running 6s Carbon Kevla with neu 1527 1d prop is confidetial

Running Fightercat Shocker Twin Lehner 2250 on 12s...

Been months in the build and both well over 60mph....just how much is the magic question???

Hobbies can become very time consuming...lol

#8 ·
What your fastest straight rum now tiny?

#9 ·
On the rigger its 163.2kph
No data on cat yet as it's still tuning...

Getting blooby sick of spending money on props!!!!!! Most boaties dont know how much it makes for the package.. Sick of the balance wheel

#10 ·
Ive done props before, they can be a pain. $35 start and unknown hours preping. Not to mention the loss of a few tossed shafts and props.

163,2kph is great.

#11 ·
yeah the rigger is great, dont even think the sponsons get wet on wot...lol

The cat is giving me headaches, getting the cog and air dams under the tunnel is a labour of love.. So much in it just so damn hard to plant it down befofe flip over..

Rigger just sits on the prop all day with a smile.... sh..ts me to tears...

#12 ·
Prop angle down a degree or further out of the water maybe on the cat. Or maybe a slight lifter prop.
At least you have some nice running boats, Keep it up, more boaters the better.

#13 ·
Any more lift itll need wings, my builder is onto it but we are trying to knock off the 1150 and 1300 cats on 12s, so its alot of rnd..
Have a a Drambuie on ice and a mystic mhz if we cant sort it..
but i wanna be the bloke who turns up with a 37" cat and scares the ****e out of the saw crew....lol

#14 ·
Shake em up Tiny, knock em down a peg or two. You can do it!

#18 ·
Is that a car engine? I guess it will be out in the open so cooling won't be a problem.
If you want to put a marine head on it, one off an 0.S 18CV-RMX would fit.
(Stock number OSMG5190).

Is the carby a slide or rotary type?

#20 ·
What linkage system do you use on the slide carb? I have used the flexible airplane type cables fixed at both ends with success. It's a lot easier and more reliable to use a rotary with a solid wire link. You could also use a simple "L" shaped servo arm, mounted on a stand off close the the carb will do the trick.

I wish I could pull engines out of cats, I would have lots of pets and breed them too! Ha Ha!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.