: Possible Closure of BLSO

fossil056
23-04-2012, 09:14 PM
Dear All
Over the past few months (possibly even longer) the BLSO committe & others have been trying to get the club going by organising open days , family days, practice days & on the rare occasion - race days.
Unfortunately - without much sucess - it seems tyhat the numbers are no longer there. This has meant that the funds available to us to make sure we can maintain the facility at Wacol have dwindled to the extent that the club is no longer viable. Gary & I can no longer aford ( & refuse) to use any more of own personal money to maintain the track just to have a few people turn up.
Unless we can find a generous benifactor to inject some money into the club in the next week or two - we will have no option to close it down.
This a great disapointment as I beleive we have a fantastic facility at Wacol but unfortunately we can not generate the numbers necessary to make it work.
A big thankyou to Gary & Matt & to all other people (past & present) who have supported us.
I will make a final post next week letting the QLD 1/5th community know the final outcome
Marty

towie964
23-04-2012, 09:28 PM
This is Sad News indeed....Common Guys, if you know anyone looking to invest in a Community Sporting Organization, or have a Boss the needs to make some charitible donations in this current tax year, now is the time to put it on them.

Support a local club that needs it before we lose it.

All the best to the club.

BigKev aka The Frog
23-04-2012, 09:56 PM
That is sad news..

You qld guys need to get behind the BLSO and keep it viable.
Nothing worse than trying to find a venue for a race track.
You guys have got 1 and should be working hard to keep it.

pbnz
23-04-2012, 10:39 PM
Is it possible to give us an idea of what sort of recurring funding is needed to keep the track going each year?

rasigs
23-04-2012, 10:39 PM
i hope this turns into good news and fast

Lepto
23-04-2012, 11:05 PM
That is pretty bad news! I hope you guys can turn it around!

towie964
24-04-2012, 12:23 AM
One of the largest problems as I see it, the weather up here has been diabolicle, it has rained so many week ends over the last few months that track use has been next to impossible. That alone must have had a huge impact on the clubs income and finances.

fossil056
24-04-2012, 06:58 AM
One of the largest problems as I see it, the weather up here has been diabolicle, it has rained so many week ends over the last few months that track use has been next to impossible. That alone must have had a huge impact on the clubs income and finances.

Guys
I guess it has been a combination of things that has caused us to come to this point.
I won't go into too much detail as a lot of you already know some of the reasons but the weather in the past 12 mths certainly has been a contributing factor.
Its the nature of the beast I guess.
We had the floods in Jan last year which caused a lot of damage. We managed to get the track to a reasonable condition but as Towie said it seemed to rain every W/E we tried to plan an event - this meant that we couldn't get into the track to maintain it
I also put it down to that fact that people have other priorities in life these days & as everyone knows - it's not a cheap hobby.
I accept some of the blame as I haven't been able to give the club my full attention it needs & deserves due to the need to run & operate my business (which sometimes is 24/7) & the back up & numbers needed just isn't there anymore (no offence to those who have tried to help). The club can't survive with just few members.
If anyone has any suguestions - we welcome the input but we have to be honest with ourselves & the viability of the club as it stands at the moment is such that it we have no other options.
Marty

someguy
24-04-2012, 11:08 AM
Just a sign of the times and how the economy controls the outcome.

The poor attendances at most clubs around AUST are down so don’t go hard on yourselves thinking where did we go wrong.
When a family has financial commitments and for some job security is looming, or the work load has lessened then worrying times and less spending.So some things you have to be let go like hobbies.

RogerDaShrubber
24-04-2012, 11:27 AM
Is it possible to give us an idea of what sort of recurring funding is needed to keep the track going each year?

So, how much money does the club need to keep its doors open?

fossil056
24-04-2012, 01:06 PM
So, how much money does the club need to keep its doors open?
It's hard to put a real $ value on whats required at the monment but I would estimate at least $5-8K.
The tracks needs a rebuild (due to the floods & rains washing a lot of the topsoil away) - lots of weeds & overgrown grasses need attending to.
I had it slashed last week but as Queenslanders know with the rains and humidity - it will need doing again very soon. We poisioned the weeds / grasses about a month ago but the buggers still managed to grow back
We also need new drainage system & the infrastucture (fences, drivers stand, silt fences etc) need some work.
As you can see that is quite a bit of money.
Regular upkeeps costs are about $500-600 every couple of months- slashing/track prep and toping up the water tank for race meetings. And that is only if we can get people to help with working bees.

bajamad
24-04-2012, 01:32 PM
People love to us the track when covenant for them, but when it comes to working Bee's, Oh sorry but i am going away that weekend it happens all the time, money for the up keep of the track is the easy part getting everyone to help out at the same time with the track up keep is the hard part, Good luck i hope you can work thing's out.

someguy
24-04-2012, 04:15 PM
Edenhope track would have been one of the best tracks in Australia,now id say it would be overgrown with weeds.People just lost interest.

PC WIZ
24-04-2012, 05:19 PM
In the US they sometimes have trouble giving all the drivers a run in one day and there are hundreds of spectators. In Australia there would be lucky to be 20 drivers and a hand full of familly members as spectators at a meeting. I don't know how Australian tracks survive as long as they do.

Good luck saving the track, there should be more of them and better media coverage to bring in the crowds.

I wish the RC distributors would advertise there products on TV.

someguy
24-04-2012, 06:53 PM
It's a good point you raised there WIZ.Kinda get the feeling no one cares or could be bothered.

Lepto
24-04-2012, 07:28 PM
Is part of the problem that you only run 1/5th scale? (sorry i'm not all that familiar with BLSO - just throwing ideas out there...) Could you open up to other scales (ie. larger audience/less specialized?) to improve viability?

BenV.2
24-04-2012, 08:11 PM
A 1:8 scale would be cool. Rheres already a tenth scale off-road track not that far away. Problem is it would also increase the maintainence costs too.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2

Godles
24-04-2012, 08:45 PM
I've tried a 1/10 on a 1/5 track, it's like trying a pee wee 50 on a full size mx track lol looks funny but just struggles all round

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

someguy
24-04-2012, 08:56 PM
Couldn't the track be designed to suite most scales,i think it can if it's thought out sensibly.
The club doesn't have to throw in the towel yet.

fwzflqwer
24-04-2012, 11:44 PM
I even dont know what should i say. this is the worst news ever

mouse
25-04-2012, 12:03 AM
I don't like hearing that anything to do with the hobby may close down. Hope things improve and you don't need to close, good luck.
Hearing something like this makes me wounder if it worth while to keep chasing/working on land to build a new track????

xr8ute
25-04-2012, 12:12 AM
This is not good at all, I do know how much it costs to keep a track going and without the generosity of members and businesses it's damn near impossible.!

I really hope you can avoid the closure

in rod we trust
25-04-2012, 12:32 AM
that's not good news, 1 thing i think that would be popular would be corperate events, but that would also need some investment of a few baja's even clones with just enough done to them to be able to handle the track..and the money can go into the track etc, you may even get a sponsor from it as well..

leebrushless
25-04-2012, 08:38 AM
Can you apply to the state gov for flood funding to repair the damage? While it wont solve all the financial problems ,it may help. Leigh

fossil056
25-04-2012, 10:09 AM
Is part of the problem that you only run 1/5th scale? (sorry i'm not all that familiar with BLSO - just throwing ideas out there...) Could you open up to other scales (ie. larger audience/less specialized?) to improve viability?

The track is designed for 1/5th - I also have run my HPI Vorza for Sh*ts & giggles one day - not much fun. The track can get rough. It is is not really smooth like Pine Hills or Meakin Pk.
Thanks for the idea - but the cost of trying to cater for all classess would be prohibitive

fossil056
25-04-2012, 10:19 AM
Can you apply to the state gov for flood funding to repair the damage? While it wont solve all the financial problems ,it may help. Leigh

Leigh
I did look into funding but apparantly the sport/club doesn't fall into any of the categoreies that qualify for Gov funding - it has to be local community based and have some benifit to the local comunity

Keeper
25-04-2012, 12:09 PM
Leigh
I did look into funding but apparantly the sport/club doesn't fall into any of the categoreies that qualify for Gov funding - it has to be local community based and have some benifit to the local comunity

These are some thoughts I had to possibly address the above:

The community part would be that the club draws members form the local areas of Brisbane to participate. Some words like it's an inclusive club that due to the damage caused by the floods is in danger of closing and the community that has formed around the club will be lost.

The community benefit is that racing at the club means people are not racing at local parks, bmx tracks etc. This is of benefit to the community as it greatly reduces (don't say eliminates as that's impossible) disturbance to the the local parks and their environs. It's also safer at a track as it's a controlled environment with rules in place for participation.

Are the local papers interested in the story? It would be some free publicity.

If you had a list of what needed to be done and the cost then I think you'd be a long way towards an application. They can only say no.

For the long run though a healthier cash flow sounds like the answer. Sponsorship from LHS on race days may be a start. After all the club members need hops and spares from somewhere.

Good Luck. It ain't easy but I hope something good happens.

fossil056
26-04-2012, 03:53 PM
These are some thoughts I had to possibly address the above:

The community part would be that the club draws members form the local areas of Brisbane to participate. Some words like it's an inclusive club that due to the damage caused by the floods is in danger of closing and the community that has formed around the club will be lost.

The community benefit is that racing at the club means people are not racing at local parks, bmx tracks etc. This is of benefit to the community as it greatly reduces (don't say eliminates as that's impossible) disturbance to the the local parks and their environs. It's also safer at a track as it's a controlled environment with rules in place for participation.

Are the local papers interested in the story? It would be some free publicity.

If you had a list of what needed to be done and the cost then I think you'd be a long way towards an application. They can only say no.

For the long run though a healthier cash flow sounds like the answer. Sponsorship from LHS on race days may be a start. After all the club members need hops and spares from somewhere.

Good Luck. It ain't easy but I hope something good happens.
Thanks for the input - as you say - they can only say no.
I will look into it further

fwzflqwer
26-04-2012, 09:11 PM
:-( Its so sad. All my best memories with BAJA are related to BLSO. Hope I can have a last drive at BLSO before its closure

RogerDaShrubber
27-04-2012, 12:21 AM
It's hard to put a real $ value on whats required at the monment but I would estimate at least $5-8K.
The tracks needs a rebuild (due to the floods & rains washing a lot of the topsoil away) - lots of weeds & overgrown grasses need attending to.
I had it slashed last week but as Queenslanders know with the rains and humidity - it will need doing again very soon. We poisioned the weeds / grasses about a month ago but the buggers still managed to grow back
We also need new drainage system & the infrastucture (fences, drivers stand, silt fences etc) need some work.
As you can see that is quite a bit of money.
Regular upkeeps costs are about $500-600 every couple of months- slashing/track prep and toping up the water tank for race meetings. And that is only if we can get people to help with working bees.

Who owns the land that track is located on? and do you have any current pictures of the state of things that i can see.

fossil056
28-04-2012, 08:23 AM
Who owns the land that track is located on? and do you have any current pictures of the state of things that i can see.

Mate
The land is leased from the Rugby Club.
at this stage I have no photos - If you want to pm or call me (0424 134 904) to discuss

5Tom
29-04-2012, 10:47 PM
Guys, Im really sad to hear that BLSO is heading in this direction. A real damn shame.
I know that being out at wacol is a bit of a drive, but why don't you think about relocating? The northern brisbane suburbs don't have any 1/5th offroad track anywhere and the Brendale on-road club (AFAIK) haven't done anything in reguards to off road racing. In my opinion, look to relocate to the northern suburbs in/near an industrial area - If your lucky, it might save the club and bring in local membership.

MONAROMAN
29-04-2012, 11:28 PM
Guys, Im really sad to hear that BLSO is heading in this direction. A real damn shame.
I know that being out at wacol is a bit of a drive, but why don't you think about relocating? The northern brisbane suburbs don't have any 1/5th offroad track anywhere and the Brendale on-road club (AFAIK) haven't done anything in reguards to off road racing. In my opinion, look to relocate to the northern suburbs in/near an industrial area - If your lucky, it might save the club and bring in local membership.

Sad to hear the club is facing closure, as Tom suggested is relocation a possibility? I know it would be a setback in terms of rebuilding a track from scratch but at least it may mean the club can resurface for some summer racing.

Also would it be worth approaching the Brendale on road club to collaborate with them and find a location to run as an off road arm of their club?

Hope you guys find a way to keep going.

towie964
30-04-2012, 01:02 AM

I suggested this to you when you were President of QORLS, and looking for somewhere to settle, prior to getting the grounds at Belmont, back then you thought the idea was bad...I am confused as to what has changed your mind?

There is a proposed club already at the Brendale club (across the road from England Park), but for what ever reason, it has been stalled for some time. It has been due to open for a couple of years now., as far as I know some of the locals have a bash out there occassionally. There is also a group of guys that meet at the Pine Rivers Park on the flats at Bald Hills for a bash on a Sunday afternoon, I guess they could all be potential members.

fossil056
30-04-2012, 07:52 AM
Guys
All of your sugestions are really appreciated. I will look into the situation at Brendale & speak to Geoff. Iam not not sure why that never got off the ground - I heard that the Council wanted some pretty expensive infrastructure work carried out before they would consider granting approval.
I think that I need to put our situation into perspective - I dont think the issue is with the track or its location ( I could be wrong) - it is the fact that after all of our efforts in trying to attract members by having open days/family days/ practice days / fun days (call them what you will) - the numbers aren't just there.
I even tried on many occasions to organise Brisbane inter-club race meetings that would have benifitted both clubs (thanks to those who tried to help) & give people the opportunity to race on different tracks & get to meet other like minded people & have fun (isn't that is what is is really all about) & I know I will alienate some people with this statement & possabily open up another can of worms - but due to the history of the 2 clubs & ongoing shortmindedness of some people - it never got off the ground which to me personally was very dissapointing.
I will keep trying over the next week or two to take onboard some of the suguestions & you never know

5Tom
30-04-2012, 08:18 AM
Thanks for the update mate

Towie - one of the reasons for keeping Belmont in play was due to the lease conditions and easy access to the grounds due to the motorway.

The other reason was at the time, brendale was supposebly extending to offroad so having two large scale clubs within close proximity would (IMO) been pointless.

At this stage, since brendale hasn't done anything yet in such a long time (to my knowladge), BLSO would greatly benefit from the location if a spot is found.

That's one of the main reasons why QORLS is doing well. Location is important and people won't drive over 30min unless they're committed.

towie964
30-04-2012, 09:11 AM
Thanks for the update mate

Towie - one of the reasons for keeping Belmont in play was due to the lease conditions and easy access to the grounds due to the motorway.

The other reason was at the time, brendale was supposebly extending to offroad so having two large scale clubs within close proximity would (IMO) been pointless.

At this stage, since brendale hasn't done anything yet in such a long time (to my knowladge), BLSO would greatly benefit from the location if a spot is found.

That's one of the main reasons why QORLS is doing well. Location is important and people won't drive over 30min unless they're committed.

I suggested and located the land on the northside before Belmont was an option, you and kris werent interested. Belmont didnt open or go into negotiation for some weeks or months later.
I am not after an arguement, I am more interested in seeing BLSO get a fair shake and hopefully back on their feet, after all it is the club we all built in the first place.

5Tom
30-04-2012, 09:57 AM
No argument intended! Sorry.
I'd love to see BLSO recover and be more prosperous in the future.
Back before Belmont got secured, qorls had the lowest of lows with very poor numbers and dedicated commitment with numbers as low as 5, while we had no home. Stick with it because luck will come your way. Just need to knock on the right door.

steve s
30-04-2012, 11:12 PM
just an idea .... maybe qorls could hold a race day at blso and have some the funds go to them as a good will gesture it would also be a good sportsman thing to do and show no hard feelings etc etc it would also be a good change to drive on a different track / surface for the qorls members etc

like i said this is merely a suggestion and i am not a financial member of either club anymore so please do not think i am stirring up the pot and to be honest i probably wont even participate as i have another hobby now but never say never :)
steve s

westOZEbaja
01-05-2012, 12:02 AM
ow are you going now ?

5Tom
01-05-2012, 08:24 AM
I can guarantee that won't happen Steve, but it would be better if QORLS helped other clubs in need, increase inter club activity and let everyone be happy. Past is the past, look forward to the future.

I don't speak on behalf of qorls anymore, nor am I a member at this stage.

To BLSO, +1 to relocate to Brisbane. You will do better once you advertise a new location.

fossil056
01-05-2012, 09:37 AM
just an idea .... maybe qorls could hold a race day at blso and have some the funds go to them as a good will gesture it would also be a good sportsman thing to do and show no hard feelings etc etc it would also be a good change to drive on a different track / surface for the qorls members etc

like i said this is merely a suggestion and i am not a financial member of either club anymore so please do not think i am stirring up the pot and to be honest i probably wont even participate as i have another hobby now but never say never :)
steve s

Steve
Thanks for your input
As per my previous post - I had tried to organise a couple of times a interclub race day between the 2 clubs that would have benifitted both clubs - without sucess.
Although the membership & committee at BLSO is totally different now - It appears that the attitude of anomosity remains the same.
Personnaly - I couldn't give a fat rats right testicle - I don't judge people or hold grudges - I just want to race my car & have fun & help others to do the same - To have the oportunity to race on different tracks & to associate with a variety of people that have a common interest of 1/5th off road cars . Sure there always will be a differance of opinion between a group of people - everyone is entitled to that - otherwise we become just a bunch of sheep - I just find it hard to accept that the previous issues continue to fester. I would think that being grown men - we could get past all of this.

fossil056
01-05-2012, 09:39 AM
I can guarantee that won't happen Steve, but it would be better if QORLS helped other clubs in need, increase inter club activity and let everyone be happy. Past is the past, look forward to the future.

I don't speak on behalf of qorls anymore, nor am I a member at this stage.

To BLSO, +1 to relocate to Brisbane. You will do better once you advertise a new location.
Thanks Tom
I am going to see Trackside today & find out the background as to why the track never got off the ground

PC WIZ
01-05-2012, 09:59 AM
I can't believe one club won't interact with the other, it's just so petty and against the very nature of the RC community.
I'de love to know the reason, but I doubt anyone one would even remember now. It's childish behavior.

RogerDaShrubber
01-05-2012, 10:29 AM
I can't believe one club won't interact with the other, it's just so petty and against the very nature of the RC community.
I'de love to know the reason, but I doubt anyone one would remember now. It's childish behavior.

There are a lot of reasons why that might happen, but, when you consider the numbers involved in 1/5th racing in Brisbane, its just plain stupid to not do it. There are at best maybe 40-50 drivers split between these 2 clubs, it makes pure business sense and for the health of the sport, to not have such fragmentation. Which leaves amalgamation or an interclub series as the only viable options to keep two tracks up and running.

So, when i win the 50mil lotto tonight, I will build an RC Super Center in Brisbane, With 1/12, 1/10 and 1/8 off road and on road all weather tracks, rock crawling course and drag strip and hobby shop all under one roof.

PC WIZ
01-05-2012, 10:50 AM
Hey Roger, you forgot about the 1/5 content. :whistle:

fossil056
01-05-2012, 10:56 AM
There are a lot of reasons why that might happen, but, when you consider the numbers involved in 1/5th racing in Brisbane, its just plain stupid to not do it. There are at best maybe 40-50 drivers split between these 2 clubs, it makes pure business sense and for the health of the sport, to not have such fragmentation. Which leaves amalgamation or an interclub series as the only viable options to keep two tracks up and running.

So, when i win the 50mil lotto tonight, I will build an RC Super Center in Brisbane, With 1/12, 1/10 and 1/8 off road and on road all weather tracks, rock crawling course and drag strip and hobby shop all under one roof.
Mate
When you do win the $50M you will have so many friends crawl out the woodwork - you wont have time to build the Brisbane RC Super Centre - but if by some act of God you do - I am there with you
On a personal note - I wish to remind people that I was not a member of BLSO when the rift happened - I have just inherited the baggage - I just wish we could get over the hurrdles - life is too short for the BS

RogerDaShrubber
01-05-2012, 11:12 AM
Hey Roger, you forgot about the 1/5 content. :whistle:

I would prolly toss the money at the Brendale guys, it makes sense to have a northside track and a southside track for 1/5th off road. But on that note, i would be interested to see where they would put it, its not like there is much vacant land there. Unless it where where the car park is currently.

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&q=strathwyn+st+brendale&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x6b93fcfce5203f49:0xc31d1a434362cf07,Strathwyn+St,+Brendale+QLD+4500&gl=au&ei=3CmfT-2oEaW4iAeM9LXLDw&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CCIQ8gEwAA

fossil056
01-05-2012, 01:13 PM
I would prolly toss the money at the Brendale guys, it makes sense to have a northside track and a southside track for 1/5th off road. But on that note, i would be interested to see where they would put it, its not like there is much vacant land there. Unless it where where the car park is currently.

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&q=strathwyn+st+brendale&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x6b93fcfce5203f49:0xc31d1a434362cf07,Strathwyn+St,+Brendale+QLD+4500&gl=au&ei=3CmfT-2oEaW4iAeM9LXLDw&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CCIQ8gEwAA

Not sure either but I am going to have a look today & see if Trackside can shed some light

5Tom
01-05-2012, 01:44 PM
If the brendale club got moving, they will already have enough facilities to accommodate championship events almost straight off the bat!

I've often thought to just swap to onroad and get amongst the action, I just can't bare to split with my baja lol

Let me know if you guys want to have a run for some fun

towie964
01-05-2012, 01:58 PM

I had a similar idea, and I have 2 venues I have picked out for it as well, one is in the Geebung industrial area, meaning no parking or noise problems, and the other at Everton Park, also in a not heavily populated area, so again, noise and parking are no issues, and both venues have easy access to major arterial roads, for ease of getting there.
I had already approached a few businesses to fund this idea as a business venture but the GFC had put some strain on their finances and they turned me down at the time.
I was thinking of having 1/5, 1/8, 1/10 off road all indoors, a drift track and a 1/10 scale touring car track, and bringing a couple of catering businesses to keep the tummy's happy as well.
I had even planned a day care/child minding playground, so that even the single parents had no excuses not to get involved.

Roger, you win the lotto and I will help you get it all set up

RatsacK
01-05-2012, 03:20 PM
Towie, if you did that. I can assure you I would come once a month for racing/fun. I'm sure Rob would as well. Do it!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

PC WIZ
01-05-2012, 04:17 PM
If you built that complex, I bet RC families that lived out of the state would go there once a year for holidays, locals would be there for every race meeting and the other more dedicated out of state RC users would be there at least a few times a year.

There would need to be a camping caravan area somewhere near by as well.

RatsacK
01-05-2012, 04:36 PM
Yeah, I'll be waiting on a PM telling me it's a go ahead Towie. Don't let me down mate. ;)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

5Tom
01-05-2012, 05:09 PM
Are there any venues at the moment that could be a possibility for a 1/5th track? Something to look into.

RogerDaShrubber
01-05-2012, 08:02 PM
Reason for that: it is called “testosterone”,bunch of young guys standing there beating their chests like apes and almost as smart.

Sent from my computer using my fingers.

Who said they have to be young, from my experience, its old guy wanna be syndrome.

snap off racing
01-05-2012, 08:18 PM
Problem you will have with setting up in an industrial estate will be the dust that the 1/5ths create.
I would be confident a 1/5 track at or close to England park/trackside will not last long due to complaints from neighboring businesses.
I would bet money that a 1/5 offroad track will never get built in that location with a smash repairs within 200meters plus countless other businesses.
Imagine trying to prep a car for paint with a constant flow of dust coming in through the workshop doors. The complaints to the council will have it shut down in no time.

Also for what it's worth my opinion.
The fact that the two clubs are on the south side of Brisbane within 40km of each other, there isn't enough numbers to support the two tracks.
I think a north side track would be be your be best chance of keeping the BLSO club running. Keeping in mind there is an offroad track just outside of caboolture.
I'm pretty sure Towie alone could get 10 or more 1/5 scale north side locals down to support your club.
I have also spoken to guys that raced at wacol that refused to go back due to there pipes getting smashed in from being hacked by bashers that think they are offroad Craig Lowndes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chicko
01-05-2012, 09:10 PM
In door track would be good. Drive in any weather and probably not much water usage on the track.

Rota Mota
01-05-2012, 09:26 PM
Problem you will have with setting up in an industrial estate will be the dust that the 1/5ths create.
I would be confident a 1/5 track at or close to England park/trackside will not last long due to complaints from neighboring businesses.
I would bet money that a 1/5 offroad track will never get built in that location with a smash repairs within 200meters plus countless other businesses.
Imagine trying to prep a car for paint with a constant flow of dust coming in through the workshop doors. The complaints to the council will have it shut down in no time.

The fact that the two clubs are on the south side of Brisbane within 40km of each other, there isn't enough numbers to support the two tracks.
I think a north side track would be be your be best chance of keeping the BLSO club running. Keeping in mind there is an offroad track just outside of caboolture.
I'm pretty sure Towie alone could get 10 or more 1/5 scale north side locals down to support your club.
I have also spoken to guys that raced at wacol that refused to go back due to there pipes getting smashed in from being hacked by bashers that think they are

That easy fixed... You build a 100% clay track and a good watering system....(not that you will need to water it much.. More of a light spray.

I think relocating blso to the northside is the best idea yet.... Maybe a new venue will......

snap off racing
01-05-2012, 09:46 PM
Clay will still erode and breakdown.
It would need a really good drainage system and watering between every round.
A 1/5 will rip strips in any surface though.
Clay is also expensive and requires alot of maintenance especially with a pack of large scalers beating the crap out of it.
Maintenance also requires free help from members which is hard to come by in my experience.

Rota Mota
01-05-2012, 10:02 PM
Clay will still erode and breakdown.
It would need a really good drainage system and watering between every round.
A 1/5 will rip strips in any surface though.
Clay is also expensive and requires alot of maintenance especially with a pack of large scalers beating the crap out of it.
Maintenance also requires free help from members which is hard to come by in my experience.

Do you have a better idea?

stevoo
01-05-2012, 10:04 PM
In regards to the Brendale off road track , it is still being worked on. Occasionally we get updates on how something is done with it, last update was that a quote for the fencing had been received. A lot of work has been done over quite a few years with regards to rezoning and council. It is already budgeted to be built.

Doug Barber (QRCCRA Treasurer ) is heading up the development of it and is always looking for people who want to help in setting it up as a club. So if you want to get involved contact him.

This info really is a little Off topic and carries over from https://www.ausrc.com/forum/showthread.php?16187-New-Brisbane-large-scale-track&p=362464#post362464

This post is spot on in my eyes though. re dust/location.

The actual site is on that googlemap posted earlier. It is the dirt patch across Leitchs rd from the BMX track where the short driveway is already built for it.

I'd agree with the population of cars not big enough to support 2 clubs and QORLS really have their track and club sorted out now.

snap off racing
01-05-2012, 10:17 PM
Do you have a better idea?

Not really
But clay surface won't sold the dust problem. I'm just stating facts.
North side location, away from residential noise complaints, away from industry dust complaints. I really haven't put that much thought into a good location but I'm sure there is a spot around somewhere.

RogerDaShrubber
01-05-2012, 11:43 PM
Not really
But clay surface won't sold the dust problem. I'm just stating facts.
North side location, away from residential noise complaints, away from industry dust complaints. I really haven't put that much thought into a good location but I'm sure there is a spot around somewhere.

You know, a well packed and prepared deco track makes little dust at all as long as it is watered and is easy to prep and maintain. Its just a pity that the environmental laws are as they are, because a sump oil track would be an ideal solution for off road clubs. Every few months, plow it, oil it and roll it.

My personal preference would be towards an artificial grass and sand surface, give it a rake and a light watering and the the track is prepped. Not sure how it would last with 1/5th scale, but you would want a few years out of the rug before its replaced to make it cost effective.

snap off racing
02-05-2012, 12:05 AM
You know, a well packed and prepared deco track makes little dust at all as long as it is watered and is easy to prep and maintain. Its just a pity that the environmental laws are as they are, because a sump oil track would be an ideal solution for off road clubs. Every few months, plow it, oil it and roll it.

My personal preference would be towards an artificial grass and sand surface, give it a rake and a light watering and the the track is prepped. Not sure how it would last with 1/5th scale, but you would want a few years out of the rug before its replaced to make it cost effective.

Ye agree there Roger.
Astro track would be awesome. I would even get a Baja.
But I was trying to be realistic about what's can and can't be done.

Here's an idea.
BLSOB
Brisbane Large Scale Onroad Bajas
I won't be offended if you guys tell me that was stupid :)

5Tom
02-05-2012, 12:05 AM
Decompress Granite was used at QORLS. Because it wasn't compacted properly, the very fine granite that is designed to keep the soil together had been sprayed off the track due to premature track use, leaving the larger looser stones behind. This caused a more slippery surface and the 80mm-100mm thick surface quickly erroded back to the original surface underneith with pot-holes and rutts.

If QRCCRA is getting their **** together, I'm sure it would be a good gesture from BLSO to offer their assistance in bringing a track to life, irreguardless if the delays are due to the local council. I know it took me 11 months to negotiate with Belmont to get QORLS there, but be persistent.

5Tom
02-05-2012, 12:07 AM
Here's an idea.
BLSOB
Brisbane Large Scale Onroad Bajas
I won't be offended if you guys tell me that was stupid :)

I'm keen for a road race! I know just the place :)

RogerDaShrubber
02-05-2012, 12:26 AM
If QRCCRA is getting their **** together, I'm sure it would be a good gesture from BLSO to offer their assistance in bringing a track to life, irreguardless if the delays are due to the local council. I know it took me 11 months to negotiate with Belmont to get QORLS there, but be persistent.

I would have to agree, seems like the smart thing to do, and one thing you can be certain of, the standard of track will be high and QRCCA have money behind them to make it viable.

Rota Mota
02-05-2012, 10:02 AM

Now your talking Astro turf is the go!!!! Half of the 1/5" European tracks are astro turf. It was even thought of for the blso track. I gave a few old tennis court companies a ring a while ago, they are very keen to give away truck loads of the stuff.

RogerDaShrubber
02-05-2012, 12:06 PM
Now your talking Astro turf is the go!!!! Half of the 1/5" European tracks are astro turf. It was even thought of for the blso track. I gave a few old tennis court companies a ring a while ago, they are very keen to give away truck loads of the stuff.

Yeah if you had access to loads of free astro, buiding a track could be done very cheaply indeed and requires much less maintenance and water, weeds and rutting become non issues and builders sand is cheap for when the track needs re-dressing. This would leave more money in the coffers for foundation works.

5Tom
02-05-2012, 05:11 PM
Not to mention A consistency of high grip. I would highly prefer AstroTurf myself. Even then, a slight possibility of running a race after rain as long as drainage is thought out well.

fossil056
02-05-2012, 06:24 PM
In regards to the Brendale off road track , it is still being worked on. Occasionally we get updates on how something is done with it, last update was that a quote for the fencing had been received. A lot of work has been done over quite a few years with regards to rezoning and council. It is already budgeted to be built.

Doug Barber (QRCCRA Treasurer ) is heading up the development of it and is always looking for people who want to help in setting it up as a club. So if you want to get involved contact him.

This info really is a little Off topic and carries over from https://www.ausrc.com/forum/showthread.php?16187-New-Brisbane-large-scale-track&p=362464#post362464

This post is spot on in my eyes though. re dust/location.

The actual site is on that googlemap posted earlier. It is the dirt patch across Leitchs rd from the BMX track where the short driveway is already built for it.

I'd agree with the population of cars not big enough to support 2 clubs and QORLS really have their track and club sorted out now.
Steve
Do you have a Ph No for Doug Barber (QRCCRA Treasurer )
Thanks

RogerDaShrubber
02-05-2012, 07:18 PM

Well the good news is, I WON THE LOTTO. The bad news is it was only 3 lots of 5th division. So, not enough to build my RC Super Centre.

snap off racing
02-05-2012, 07:28 PM
Well the good news is, I WON THE LOTTO. The bad news is it was only 3 lots of 5th division. So, not enough to build my RC Super Centre.

Damn it.
I was lookin forward to your super dooper rc megaplex.
Maybe the extra 25 mil next week may allow help make it happen sooner.

RogerDaShrubber
02-05-2012, 07:36 PM
Damn it.
I was lookin forward to your super dooper rc megaplex.
Maybe the extra 25 mil next week may allow help make it happen sooner.

I am already planning on winning it.

chicko
02-05-2012, 09:46 PM
Astro turf :) would have my vote. Would have been good to try some at blso.

PC WIZ
03-05-2012, 03:16 AM
I know very short grass tracks are nice to drive on, I've made a few.

RatsacK
03-05-2012, 08:05 AM
I know very short grass tracks are nice to drive on, I've made a few.

I see a flaw in your plan...

Pro.28Avenger
03-05-2012, 10:44 AM
I see a flaw in your plan...

So do i considering the state of my backyard from one revo, let alone a class of 1:5th's ;)

PC WIZ
03-05-2012, 11:42 AM
The astro turf is like grass, just much more durable. Yes a real grass track would be no good for the 1/5 baja's, the astro turf would be great with the feel of running on grass without the damage from use.

RogerDaShrubber
03-05-2012, 11:48 AM
Yeah that's the thing with astro and something i cannot understand why we do not have more astro tracks here in Aust, because its the norm in the UK and Europe, they are much more durable and anything that means you spend less time preparing and more time driving on has to be a good thing. So what is it with Aussie clubs and the compulsion to have to build dirt tracks.

5Tom
03-05-2012, 11:52 AM
Cost to outlay the track material.

dinky
03-05-2012, 02:10 PM
maybe it's because we are Aussies.Personally I like the dirt it's not predictable.I have never driven on astro, but i think it would be similar to onroad, as in the track does'nt really change.

But in the long run,I guess there won't be a lot of track surface maintenance, with the astro. Which is what they are probably after and some members to go with it.

RogerDaShrubber
03-05-2012, 04:06 PM
Guess you have never driven on road then, the track changes often throughout the day, temperature plays a big roll in that. I doubt there is any less of a challenge dealing with an eroding surface or your tires overheating, both lead to reduced grip conditions.

And while i have not driven on road on an indoors carpet track, having seen the preparation that drivers put into these types of events, i can assure you, that evolving track conditions play a huge roll in the choices and decisions they make. Yet you would think that being indoors and on carpet that it would be the most consistent of all, but its not.

And i am sure the same can be said of astro, while the challenges might be different between astro and dirt, they are still challenges non the less, and all tracks evolve throughout the race meeting.

dawson
03-05-2012, 04:23 PM
yeah astro is the Go
first one in Oz for large scale
in europe all european championships have to be held on a surface that is not weather affected ( astro or indoor and i dont think there is a permanant indoor large enough yet in europe)
so if Australia ends up holding a Aussie title and wants to start getting serrous about this hobby and astro track would be a huge draw card for a national event
imagine travelling 1000 km for it to only be rained out over and over again due to a muddy track
astro with good drainage can still be raced on

i suppose think for the future of the hobby and evently qld could be the home of Large scale racing with some of the best tracks in australia on and off road

5Tom
03-05-2012, 06:04 PM
Marty, you need to clean up your inbox :P

fossil056
03-05-2012, 09:29 PM
Marty, you need to clean up your inbox :P
Tom
Inbox cleaned out

snap off racing
03-05-2012, 10:49 PM
Guys this is actually a bloody good idea.
If BLSO and the QRRCCA and/or third party can get together and get an Astro built in Brendale or anywhere in Brisbane to be realistic, it will draw in some big numbers.
As mentioned with correct drainage it could be used all round the year. It would near eliminate the dust issues for local business.
You would find other scales of rc would also want to have a run on this kind of surface too. I know I would in my 1/8 scalers.
If you build it they will come hahaha young uns on here may not get that ;)

RatsacK
03-05-2012, 10:57 PM
You guys build a 1/8 track, I will come once a month. ;) 6 hours each way is such a pain :(

PC WIZ
03-05-2012, 11:47 PM
Amalgamate!

5Tom
04-05-2012, 12:35 AM
the only real issue for astro turf is cost per sq meter and how durable it is. The cars will "eventually" destroy it, but the question is how long it would it last for untill a resurface (or patch work) is required. Remember we're talking about 2-stroke motors with plenty of torque and a weight of up to 18kg (losi). It will be hard on astro turf however it will elliminate most issues associated in track maintenance and no dust at all.

To be honest, I don't clean my car. I really can't be f**ked because it's only gonna get dirty again playing in mud!

tiny
04-05-2012, 01:25 AM
Had a bit to do with 5th scale tracks... will be interesting... ps baja's eat astro turf, noise restrictions and insurance,,,, other than that, easy......

RogerDaShrubber
04-05-2012, 08:19 AM
the only real issue for astro turf is cost per sq meter and how durable it is. The cars will "eventually" destroy it, but the question is how long it would it last for untill a resurface (or patch work) is required. Remember we're talking about 2-stroke motors with plenty of torque and a weight of up to 18kg (losi). It will be hard on astro turf however it will elliminate most issues associated in track maintenance and no dust at all.

To be honest, I don't clean my car. I really can't be f**ked because it's only gonna get dirty again playing in mud!

It would be pretty easy to find out how durable they are, just email a few of the UK or EU clubs who use astro and ask what kind of lifespan they get out of the rug before it requires repairs.

towie964
04-05-2012, 08:31 AM
I think the Astro idea has merit, but the club is struggling at the moment and I doubt that they will be looking to spend money they dont have on a surface they possibly wont get to use.
At the moment, the club is looking for an injection of interest, finance and members to use and maintain either their current track, and to get some support from the RC community

tiny
04-05-2012, 09:48 AM
sounds pretty doom and gloom.... i moved to boats and planes..just sick of the weather...even sold the real boat

MONAROMAN
04-05-2012, 10:37 AM
sounds pretty doom and gloom.... i moved to boats and planes..just sick of the weather...even sold the real boat

lol Tiny - so you moved north and its wetter than Sydney?? :D

towie964
04-05-2012, 10:43 AM
He couldnt have got any wetter if he had moved into the damn ocean, Queensland raining one day, piddling down the next. You would never know that we were in a drought close to the worst we had seen in 100 years only 18 months ago and were on water restrictions and the dams at near critical levels, now look at it.

This keeps up we will all need boats, cause anyhting that goes on land will need water wings:frusty:

dawson
04-05-2012, 10:59 AM
I gave a few old tennis court companies a ring a while ago, they are very keen to give away truck loads of the stuff.

^^^^^^
about the broken record of the cost of turf

the tennis court companies get charged a heap to dump the stuff they are rapt for some one to take it off there hands for free
even free delivery

99% of it is in really good condition just replaced cause of a tear or a worn spot in a high traffic area but preffect for us and for the FREEEEE price

RogerDaShrubber
04-05-2012, 11:03 AM
^^^^^^
about the broken record of the cost of turf

the tennis court companies get charged a heap to dump the stuff they are rapt for some one to take it off there hands for free
even free delivery

99% of it is in really good condition just replaced cause of a tear or a worn spot in a high traffic area but preffect for us and for the FREEEEE price

+1, it does not need to be new fancy looks like Sir Walter Buffelo grass, it just needs to be any old astro and if you can get it for free or next to nothing, then why not use it.

towie964
04-05-2012, 11:42 AM
Love the sound of the Free word.

zoomer
04-05-2012, 12:34 PM
Love the sound of the Free word.

beats the sound of SILENCE whenever there's a call of WORKING BEE to help lay the junk :P

fossil056
04-05-2012, 04:52 PM
Guys this is actually a bloody good idea.
If BLSO and the QRRCCA and/or third party can get together and get an Astro built in Brendale or anywhere in Brisbane to be realistic, it will draw in some big numbers.
As mentioned with correct drainage it could be used all round the year. It would near eliminate the dust issues for local business.
You would find other scales of rc would also want to have a run on this kind of surface too. I know I would in my 1/8 scalers.
If you build it they will come hahaha young uns on here may not get that ;)
Guys
THe amount of discussion on this thread is fantastic - but maybe a little of topic.
There are some really enthusiastic susgestions & ideas with respect to the potential of a new track - the responses are really welcomed & appreciated
However, My orginal post was to let eveyone know that due to the lack of members at BLSO - we we are forced to consider closing the Wacol facility down.
NO MEMBERS = NO MONEY - NO MONEY = NO TRACK
This is the biggest issue we have.
The idea of forming and alliance (or even just helping them) with Brendale is probably the most cost effective way to go at this stage.
I have spoken to Doug this morning & we are meeting on Wed next week.
From what I can gather - Brendale is well advanced with getting this off the ground.
I will get to everyone after the meeting to let you all know the outcome - subject to Doug's approval as there maybe some commerial in confidence issues that come into play.
Thanks everyone for your moral support - but $$$$ is what's needed for BSLO to continue & $$$$$ we don't have.
Cheers
Marty

PS - I get it - Kevin Costner Movie

dawson
04-05-2012, 05:27 PM
thanks for keeping us up to date marty
love your work mate

tiny
04-05-2012, 06:21 PM
lol Tiny - so you moved north and its wetter than Sydney?? :D

Hole lotta get fried bro.... lol