Australian RC Forums banner

Swamp style boat

10K views 63 replies 14 participants last post by  HoldenV8Ute1 
#1 ·
Hi,
i have these following parts from an old crappy toy plane and i want to make a swamp boat, like the ones with the fan on the back.
here is the stuff i can use:
Corded phone Telephone Telephony Gadget Electricity

Any tips or ideas?
cheers

See less See more
#3 ·
Grab some balsa wood and make a flat bottom boat, build a light 1mm aluminium frame at the back to house the air rudder and mount the motors in front of it.

Make sure you seal the balsa with a good coat of epoxy to make it water tight. Place a small plastic lunchbox/project box in the centre to mount the radio gear and battery, put a seal around the hatch that will cover it.

Find the centre balance point and then gently weight the rear of the boat to help keep the nose up in the water, charge the battery and take it for a run.

I made one of these with a .46 Leo Nitro motor many years ago, used to take it down to the ripples at sandgate to run it, looked awesome coming in over the waves, spray coming off the prop as it screamed about, sadly a big wave swamped it one afternoon and it died. Nitro and electrics dont like salt water much.

#4 · (Edited)
that is an awesome airboat. i just want to make somthing cheap that i can use when i go down to my yacht at the bay. there is no waves other than tiny ones on the shore. as long as it can turn which my system can already do. i can use my accucel 6 on the yact to charge up a nihm or nicd with the aligator clips or just plug it in. want somthing with good runtime. these motors i have would not use much juice they are tiny.
cheers guys

imagine if i had somthing like this in it:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/11000KV-...Radio_Controlled_Vehicles&hash=item460114dedf
!!!

#5 ·
Get one of those kiddy foam paddle boards and mount your motors on that. It won't look all that flash but it will work ok, cheap too!

#6 · (Edited)
PC WIZ i was thinking the same thing. i dont care how it looks. i will have to buy one of the little things and then glue a water tight container on it for the battery and little electronics.
cheers mate

somthing like this:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Children...s_Outdoor_Toys_Structures&hash=item2a1c19a3c7
really cheap, free postage and an awesome design on it lol.
i might even just cut a chunk off my big old bodyboard

#7 ·
Yeah, that's the stuff! Bring it on! :cheer2:

#8 · (Edited)
im going to use the ones that i have in the pic at the top and if it is really really slow then i might by a brushless motor. i know with those little ones it is going to be slow it pushed a foam plane at like 10kph before it took off. you are supposed to through it

then again it might go alright becasuse it used to run off that little pack in the picture. what do you say aboout a 12v lead acib battery? or will it be dangerous if it flips over. it is not one of those big 1kg batterys it is smaller

#10 ·
should i use a lead acid battery?

#11 ·
im thinking about doing a similiar thing, i have heaps of spares but absolutely no room to build it, so im going to do something incredibly basic using plastic bottles, lego and my spare electronics. if i decide to make it look a bit nicer i can cover it with cardboard/balsa and coat it in pva mixed with water

#39 ·
im thinking about doing a similiar thing, i have heaps of spares but absolutely no room to build it, so im going to do something incredibly basic using plastic bottles, lego and my spare electronics. if i decide to make it look a bit nicer i can cover it with cardboard/balsa and coat it in pva mixed with water
That will end in tears, pva melts in water. :D

#12 · (Edited)
keep us posted mate. I will be buying a little kids boogy board soon and putting my motors on it.

#13 ·
I want to know if i should use a little nicd pack or lead acid? I can charge them on my big boat ;)
all opinions accepted!
Cheers

#14 ·
Anybody, guess everyone is mainly into planes and trucks

#15 ·
Why would you use a Lead Acid battery? are you talking like a 1:1 car/bike battery?

why not use a Lipo? what charger do you have?

IMO - most on here would have moved away from Nimh and Nicd

also this is a forum, members who have actual knowledge and valuable input may not log on within 12 hours at that within a week so just because there is no response doesn't mean that nobody can answer

#16 · (Edited)
#17 ·
if you have all the electronics in a waterproof box and securely strapped you shouldn't have to worry.

be patient somebody who knows more about it will provide feedback when they have time. i'd keep it simple and go with a Lipo and brushless set up

#18 ·
the photos up the top is what i have got. it put one in reverse on in forward to turn. both to go foward, both to go back. im going to mount it on a little kids boogy board. and if it is too slow i might go brushless

#20 ·
the motors both used to run off that little battery pack in the photo. i think it would only be like 3v so should i get 1s or just get a 7.4v lipo? will it blow up if i put that much through it?
cheers

#22 ·
You need to know what voltage is used to run off and use the same. If it was 3v, a 1S lipo @3.7v might be ok but 7.4v or that lead acid 12v will most likely blow it up. It might just go real good for about 5 secs then need a paddle!!

If that little battery pack does not say what voltage, cut off any heatshrink, identify and count the cells. Look or post photo's to se if the cells are parallel or series to get the voltage.

#25 ·
i have bought a little kids boogy board. It is not that type of foam it is like that meshy stuff on the outside. I will need help identifying how manny cells and what voltage this pack is as im going to charge it with my accucel 6. Im not home for a week nealy now so i cant do much but look at the picture.
Cheers

#26 ·
Ive got one of the hobbyking ones.. they work.. ok... and for what you pay, good value.
I say 'work.. ok...' because it only takes a slight chop in the water's surface and theyre next to useless. and wind affects them too.
If you've got somewhere with a flat surface, and no wind, then theyre a lot of fun...

only suggestion is to use a car esc. you'll find having reverse handy.......and threadlock everything!!!

as for that 1.2AH SLA Battery, well... your better off with lipo. they weigh heaps less than lead acid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.