Australian RC Forums banner

Whats a good esc for a 6cell power boat

5K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  Grazacind 
#1 ·
Hi all.....had a Swordfish 200a esc and has fried, i'm running a Leopard 2650 kv and running 6 cell 50c rating with 100c continuous.
Could anyone steer me in the right dirrection for a good speedy brand to suit please?

Thanks
Scott

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey Scott! What size prop are you running, what is the dry weight and length of the boat? I will do some searching for you.

Cheers, Brett.

#3 ·
Hi Brett......thanks
its just over two kg gross.......its 880mm long....prop 45mm....1/4 pitch.
hope this helps

Thanks
Scott

#4 · (Edited)
I think it was covered in the other thread. Drop down the KV rating of the motor, you should still be able to use 6s.. The swordfish 200 is a good ESC, but they are rated to a max of 6s and may not do it in reality. If you want to have the best you could spend up to $450. (see link) Up to 12s@50V.

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=cas-010-0087-00

Check out some of their other ESC's while your there.

#5 ·
I think it was covered in the other thread. Drop down the KV rating of the motor, you should still be able to use 6s.. The swordfish 200 is a good ESC, but they are rated to a max of 6s and may not do it in reality. If you want to have the best you could spend up to $450. (see link) Up to 12s@50V.

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=cas-010-0087-00

Check out some of their other ESC's while your there.
I have to agree with The Wiz, my rule of thumb is if you need 100amps, get a 150+ amp ESC, if you need it to work with 6S, get one rated to 8S+. That way you are not using the ESC at its maximum working range and is less likely to ever get stressed when you hit peak loads.

#7 ·
Excellent work guys.....thankyou for your imput, Wiz/Roger and Mr Baja.......ill do some more research

Cheeers guys and thanks again

Scott

#10 ·
Hey nsp001...... No I bought it private but it is actually a Vantec from fuyan Rc in China
It's glass and sits handles very well

#11 ·
Hi all ........I ended up buying a 200amp 50v Castle 12s Hydra ice 2 for the speedy. Then a Castle cc bec pro 20amp peak 50v max ...
So these should give me less trouble than the previous speedy....should be going this week.

Thanks again for the help

Scott

#13 ·
Hi Grazacind..........yeh have been there before,thats the one out the back next to the brown lake that new ?
when are u going there next?.......ill be keen as

Scott

#15 ·
hey Andrew..........ran the boat today and smoked the speedy on 6s.......so thats it for the moment, i've had a gut full of electric....may have to go petrol.

#16 ·
Never give up mate there is always a solution. Need to sort your setup thats all. You need a lower kv motor around 1600 on 6s. The high kv you are running I would run in SAW racing. I would look to be pulling around the 400amps constant at that rpm. So you need to get that . Your esc can be repaired also. Just need to send it to castle.

Cheers
Andrew

#17 ·
Cheers Andrew.........the guys sugested that to.......also it was playing up with running 4s just before i swaped it over to 6s. Any way will have to look into sending it to be repaired to Castle.

Cheers
Scott

PS.....do you still have the petrol boat 4sale?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.