Australian RC Forums banner

Building a boat

16K views 129 replies 16 participants last post by  PC WIZ 
#1 · (Edited)
I just put in a firm order for a hand laid fiberglass 700mm Jet Boat hull. (See Pics)

I'm fitting it out with a 29mm Graupner jet drive, driven by a .25 GO Marine nitro engine so far, but that may change. I could go brushless instead.

The hull should be finished in a fortnight, I'm going to paint it the same color scheme as the HiTech Oils boat in the top 10 jet boats at the moment.

I will post more pics as I go. The last pic is how I want it to look. I hope to have it ready for the last round of the V8 Super Boats at Temora in November.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
I want to build it up identical to the HiTech oils boat, complete with roll cage, decals, cockpit details and simulated V8 engine.
The hull is being made by a guy in Falls Creek, N.S.W. He is charging me $100 for the bare hull in white gel coat so I will have to paint it red and black.
The Jet Pump will set me back about $100 with reverse and steering options added. I should have the hull in a week or so.
I'm so looking forward to seeing it in real life! MMM, Jet boats!

#6 ·
I found him on RC Universe while doing research for the build. He's not a shop, he just made a mould for his own personal use and will do a hull if you ask him nicely.
I doubt he will do it as cheap for just anyone though. I have spoken to him on the phone and corresponded via the forums with him many times over the past week and he is well aware of my situation, hence the good price.

#9 ·
Yeah I will definitely post up pics as I go, it's just a waiting game at the moment for the hull.

I asked him to make it in red gel coat, he said that would bump the price up so I left him to do it how he likes.

Cheers for the replies guys, I will update as I go.

#15 · (Edited)
Nice one Ghost! When did you order yours? We should swap adeas and share our knowledge as we do our builds. What size and type of drive are you using?

Hey Jeff, I have already talked to the girls, they are really nice. Neither one is married, one is from Wagga, just up the road.

The Barby dolls sound like a good idea Matt, I wonder if they will look scale. Both the girls have blond hair as well!

I haven't made a final decision on the jet drive yet, I'm still researching them. The guy that I'm getting the hull off suggested the graupner over the KMB but I will look into it further.

#17 · (Edited)
Nice one Ghost! When did you order yours? We should swap adeas and share our knowledge as we do our builds. What size and type of drive are you using?
PC,
Just been up to mick's place. Picked up the jet hull. I will be using a drive from Hobby City(given to me from a friend) Now to start the measuring, still waiting on parts for my other projects.
Forgot to add, it's the 900mm version for 26/30cc gas engines.
Cheers

Attachments

#16 ·
The hull is ready and I just have to find the funds for it, shouldn't be too hard. I am currently building two boats and paying off a nitro road car. My wallet is totally empty but my face has a huge smile!

Happy Easter all! Keep smiling!

#19 ·
Looks good! I guess it's your thread now, mine is on the back burner for a while till I finish my Nitro Hydro build, that could be some time away.

Keep up the good work, I'm watching it like a hawk!

Cheers, Brett.

PS: Is that a MHZ drive?

#22 ·
Na, Didn't happen. I have enough on my plate at the moment.

#23 ·
Update
I have been doing a little bit during times I am waiting on parts or bad weather. Have the drive mounted and the engine sorted, just waiting on mounts and some linkages, should have been here yesterday:confused:(aussie post) Hope they will be here this week.

Cheers

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.