Australian RC Forums banner

Help with a Supervee 27

4K views 29 replies 8 participants last post by  RogerDaShrubber 
#1 ·
G'day all, I am in the process of getting all my RC gear going or upgraded. So far all going well untill I took out my Aquacraft Supervee 27 and fitted my batteries. I got the batteries hooked up, the speedie made all the appropriate beeps to arm it and then I hit the throttle. At first the motor revved up nicely a couple of times and after about 3 times doing this it just stopped, so I disconnected the batteries and reconnected them and tried again. It made the correct beeping noises again but when I pulled the trigger the motor just cut out. Now the last I had it out, it flipped, I left it to dry out and hadn't run it since. So I am thinking that the speedie has shat itself so I am up for a new speedie. The trouble is that I think it is a 45a speedie but I am not sure what size the motor is (no markings on the motor). Does anybody have one of these, and if so what size speedie should I get, or should I just an equilevalant motor speedie combo ?
Any help or advice would be great.

Cheers
Tony

#2 · (Edited)
Try the motor with a working ESC, that will tell you if the motor is ok. If the motor doesn't work, try a working motor on your boat ESC. That will tell you if the ESC is ok or not.

The motor in the Supervee27 is a 1550KV and the ESC is a 45amp. I hope this helps you get it going!

BTW: It's never a good idea to rev the motor out of water with no load.

You can get a better ESC from HK http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__19438__Birdie_100A_Brushless_Boat_ESC_w_5A_BEC.html only $28.

Cheers, Brett. :yo:

#5 ·
Yeah it will be ok, it just means you can put a better motor and dual batteries in your boat down the track and it's less expensive than getting the original ESC that came with the boat.

#6 ·
I would be a little hesitant with the Birdie ESCs. Bit of a hit and miss. A friend bought two. One smoked on power up and the other only moved three foot through water (just enough so that he had to get wet). Some people have had good luck with them but if you ask around you will generally hear more bad than good. The Turnigy range of ESC from Hobbyking are pretty sound. I would rather opt for one of them. What ever you do don't go buying the stock one again. It will cost more than half of what the SV27 costs. Also, like PCW pointed out, go for a higher rated ESC. No dramas there. Motor and load placed on it determines amp draw. Also gives you the option of going with a more powerful motor down the track. Just make sure you consider the dimensions of the ESC before you buy. Some can be very chunky indeed.

#7 · (Edited)
Big-Block is right about the ESC, it is a bit hit and miss with the Birdie esc's, but when they work they do a good job cheap as. For me it would be worth a go but if you can afford a Turnigy go for one of these. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__8946__Turnigy_Marine_120A_Brushless_Boat_ESC.html

They are $49 if you want to spend that much on an ESC for your SuperVee, go for it!

I hope we get to see a few pics of your boat!

Did you buy it new? They are a pretty fast boat when trimmed right.

#8 ·
Thanks fella's, I will have a look. I bought it brand new about 4 years ago. It goes really well on Nimh, I have been told they are much better on lipo's. It already is dual battery so the higher amp rate won't go astray. I will get some photo's up when I get some time.

#10 ·
It's still not going, I have ordered the 120A Turnigy and I am just waiting for it to get here. It would be good to catch up scott, whether with the crawler or boat. I don't get days off during the week but we should try after Easter. What boat do you have ?

#12 ·
yeh that will be fine if my boats going again too....as yesterday i melted another speedy.
A 200a swordfish running 6 cell. the boat is a vantex Flame057 mono hull 9 (chinise fibreglass).....but it has a very nice line and it rides very well on the plane.....its 900mm long. So now i need to find a better speedy that will handle the 6cell and not over heat.
i was going to ask PC WIZ for his advice.......oh im running a Leapard 2650 kv motor

Cheers for now

Scott

#13 ·
Hey Scott, I'm not very brushless savvy but I would have thought the 200A swordfish would be plenty good enough.

I run Nitros here and haven't moved over to brushless yet. You could try a PM to "tiny", I'm sure he could help.

#14 ·
2650kv sounds pretty high on 6S to me. Especially in a boat where the loads are pretty high and constant. I think your motor would be drawing mega current and possibly that would be the cause of your ESC failure. Lower kv motor or dropping down to 5S or 4S might help.

#15 ·
Yeh you sound exactly on the money Big Block.......ill have to most prob nock it back down to a 4 cell(14.8v)........but i luv the 6cell power n speed.
Whats another good brand of esc or is swordfish ok?

Cheers Scott

#16 ·
Not a boat expert but from what I have heard most people that own or have owned the Sowrdfish were pretty happy with it. If you really want to step it up a bit I would go with one of the Castle ESC but the price will jump substantially. If I were you I would just go with this Turnigy one. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__8937__Turnigy_Marine_180A_Brushless_Boat_ESC.html

Also I would recommend a different motor. Try to get something in the range of 2000 to 2200 kv max and even that might be a little on the high side. If the boat feels a bit too slow after dropping the motor kv then maybe you could go to a more aggressive prop to get some of the speed back. Either way I would take reliability over speed any day unless we are talking about a boat that out right speed is it's purpose. What size is your current motor size?

#17 ·
Well I finally got the 120a turnigy speedy in the boat. Set it all up, put a couple of lipo's in and off I went. I launched it at a rowing lake just off the Coomera river near my house. I took it pretty easy for 5 mins as I havent run this boat for about 2 years and I was a bit nervous as to how it would run with lipo's in it, after a while I started getting into it, it's not stupid fast but still enough to keep me on my toes, and I had a ball. I have 2 x 2 cells 4000mah in series and it hammers. Once I started making some waves from my wake things started getting interesting,, but that just made it more fun. All was going well until I was about 2 mins from running out of batteries when I hit the only stick in the whole damn lake, chewed the crap out of my prop and cracked the transom where the rudder attaches, no real damage, just cracked the paint work, I will have to get a sacrificial brass screw for the bottom attachment screw so it shears before anything else breaks when I hit something. Anyway had a ball, I just have to find a place to get props for it now. Is there anywhere in Aus to get them or do I have to get them at Kintec.

#18 ·
#19 ·
Hey Tony.........bit of bad luck with the stick, ive got my new parts and presently fitting them up.
We should hook up and run the boats........i usually run at Tygum Lake Waterford or i can come down to Coomera.

Scott

#22 ·
My gear from Kintec arrived on Thursday I have a 2 blade prop and a 3 blade standard prop, I have fitted the 2 blade one for now to see how it goes. Ive also fitted a nylon screw in the bottom hole of the rudder for anymore sticks, and a port side turn fin. Fitted it all this arvo so after I go flying in the morning I should be able to go play with the boat. I'm looking forward to see ow it goes with 2 blade prop.

#23 ·
Damn, I just replied asking about the SuperVee in the other thread about the Riviera Cat.

I hope it all goes well.

#24 ·
Let me know how you go.. How many pole and what kv motor are you running.. Seaking,turnigy 120 or 180 is the same thing.. Make sure you under prop to start and prop up after checking temps... Always use octura twin grub collets and keep the flex well lubed... Never give it WOT from a standing start unless you have a massive CAP bank..... Esc will fry.. 15 degree advance on stock setup... Hope it helps... most times people think bigger prop pitch Bigger speed...... Wrong, bigger bill. Walk before you run bro...

#29 ·
It's the standard motor that it came with, like I said before, not super quick but enough to keep me on my toes. The speedy is a turnigy 120amp and I run 2 x2s 4000mah lipo's in series and it runs great, I fitted the 2 blade prop and it went well, nice long rooster tail. I couldn't wind it right out because it was a bit choppy for it.

#28 · (Edited)
White lithium grease is ok, it won't melt, doesn't freeze and is waterproof. I used it in a K&B outboard engine that has a 90 degree bend in the flex and I never had a problem.

It comes in a spray can and I preferred to spray a thick line of it on a dry clean rag and let it sit for a while before re-greasing the shaft. It hardens it up a bit when the propellant from the can disperses into the rag.

The main things to keep in mind are that the shaft has to be cleaned really well and make sure the grease is covering it well.

Ideally, you would clean and lube it after each run. Overkill, maybe, but it is the ideal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.