Australian RC Forums banner

One Angry Boat!!

2K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  truckzilla355 
#1 · (Edited)
I have had this boat in the cupboard for a little while now and only got round to setting it up this week, due to lots of free time at the moment due to workplace accident.

I think I need to revise my KV this one is too hot I think.

It ended up snapping the motor shaft any way.

This is the boat in question. http://www.r2hobbies.com/eng/proddetail.php?prod=rcbt0401005

Thanks for looking

#3 ·
I know it can Sink! Gona get in going soon, just go t to get it all set up, Once I have fully functioning hands. Also need to find a pond with no reeds on its edges, Last time I took a boat out a reed got caught around the rudder and prop and caused a hard turn and no power circle in the pond. One disgusting swim later I had the boat back.

#6 ·
It's not very good for the drive train throttling up out of water with no load. I wouldn't recommend doing that too often.

#8 ·
Yeah, bearings on the entry point to the stuffing tube are a must have item. I thought it sounded a bit noisy.

#10 ·
??????????????????????????????? Thought you knew boats.....FE is different brett..
Not one 100mph saw boat has a bearing on the entry to stuffing tube????? What diameter flex and what diameter stuffer, you do know that high rpm binds up the flex and if there isn't enough gap between drive and drive dog (5mm min) not a stupid teflon washer the dog will load and you just made a handbrake with your throttle....

Never high rev dry unless its a low pole motor, you sounded well over 40000 rpm...asking for smoke..

Your motor is very basic too, forget teflon and run 3/16 flex greased.. Pull down and regrease after every run. You had no load so amp draw?esc fault is not the problem. Cheap motors are lucky to live over 35000 rpm, a 500 dollar Lehner doesn't like 50000rpm..

It can be an easy fix for less than $150 brand new plus your labour..
cheers, pm if you want help

#9 ·
ive never seen that before....EVER

#11 ·
Silly old goat, I'm still thinking old school solid shafts (slaps forehead). Doh! At least I was 1/2 right!

#13 ·
When you get older, you learn how to turn the other cheek. I never take anything too serious, seriously!

#15 ·
To much info needed! Leave my cheeks alone!

#16 ·
I was pretty much checking the rotation direction of the shaft. It sounded fast so I grabbed the camera to film it letting go. It is a cheap c**p boat, the tube drive cable has a small peice of fuel tube to stop vibrations (thats how it came.) I bought it at the end of my interest of boating a few years back. Don't think I will get it going for another few.

I know I have had El'chepo motors running at well over 35000rpm. I once put 5S throught a Hsp 550 brushless with a hobbywing 75A ESC. The hsp buggy went like a shower of sh*t for about 30 seconds the ESC smoked but the motor still works fine.
May as well test things till they break, then you know how far you can push them.

#17 ·
I do plan to rig up a support bearing for that adaptor. Not on the cable, The motor needs to have a 2mm shaft to fit the coupler. The motor shaft wont have the strength to cope with any flex that may occure. 100mph boats may not use a support bearing, but they also use slightly bigger motors with stronger shafts.

For the moment its going back in the cupboard, untill I get bored of learning the effects of gravety on all the flying toys I have bought recentlly, and the time comes to rediscover the effects of water on electrical components again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.