Australian RC Forums banner

29" hydro brushless setup?

2K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  SIKKO_X2 
#1 ·
I have decided to get my hydro going and would like to use the clean electric option.
Any advice as to what size brushless motor, esc, prop and batteries to use!

It has a fixed strut and a 3/16 solid shaft, here are some pics of what I have to work with.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Depending on 4s or 6s. Classes ea or eb. for 4's i'd use the Neu 1515 1.5y and 5 to 6s go the 1521 1600kv.. These motors are the closest your gonna get without breaking the bank. Run a seaking t180. Best esc for the money and will easily handle 6s and dont go up in smoke as the Swordfish200amp. I have several of both trust me..
Run your batts in series, if you wanna go 6s i have a heap of nano tech 3s batts new sitting collecting dust you can have for super cheap..

Run an octura coupler with the twin grub screws, you will need to dremel or file a flat spot on the neu shaft as they dont come with one. (5mm shaft)
The reason i say neu is because they are amazingly efficent, leopard quote up to 95% but thats a joke.. Our club has tested..
This means you can prop up without fear of frying your esc.
On that size hydro 4s would get you 60 to 70kph, 6s somewhere near 100ish.
Your gonna need to do some glassing and pull out the old stuffer tube and flatten out the rear out let, then run a surface drive from the rudder mounts using a rudder offset bracket or make your own moving it to the right so the prop doesnt sit directly behind the rudder. Your motor will sit much further forward and look at modifing the sponsons to take the batts. Install a safty loop on one of your batt leads so you can connenct it all up then tape the hatch before connecting power.
On 6s youd run an octura x455, have it detounged,balanced and sharpened for maximun, but that would be the limit on amp draw. Or be safe and run a x447 to x452.. ( i have a used balanced and sharpened 450 that would make that hum..)

I'll post up some pics of my 4s hydro and 6s rigger so you get a better idea..

Ps, got your pm the wife is going to play with the mono...( hydro is much better anyway..lol)

justin

#3 · (Edited)
$260 for an electric motor? Can't I just use a total overkill Leopard motor?

The rudder is already offset 20mm, the pic tells lies.

In what way do I have to modify the sponsons? Can't I just mount the batts in the front of the cowl where the fuel tank use to be?

I thought the solid skeg was going to hurt me, I'm so glad I kept my rotory tool.

Looking forward to seeing your hydro Justin!

I just noticed you hav'nt used boats for that long, your first boat was bought around 27-08-2011. Are you a club racer?

#4 ·
Well the Neu are the ducks nuts when it comes to super efficient high voltage engines. What tiny said would equate to the best of the best setup you could go for, from there you have to start to look at budget and work down to what you can afford.

#5 ·
How about a really angry mouse in a wheel? lol

Yeah I have checked out some boats with neu motors on you tube and there's no doubt they can make a boat go fast.

My budget won't cater for such an expensive motor, I'm not going to race it, I just want a reasonably fast reliable boat.

#8 ·
Should I ask for a Leopard motor?

#9 ·
Brett i'm a club racer at pine hills qld. I also am a member of AMPBA and am currently building a saw boat with MHZ, Lehner, Shultze and steve ballinger our vice president, It should hit the mark..

Used to have gassers for years (actually nitro, cause gassers weren't around..

Joe from boat bitz is a good guy but you pay retail... PM Grazacind he will back up my suggestions..

Leopard is ok but if you want to move an ex gasser that is glass not cf, your gonna need efficentcy,power and balance..

Gassers have alot of forward weight, you need to get your cog right and squeezing packs up the front is a hand brake..

I originally bought from joe and bought a big glass cat with twin leopards on 12s... Paid over 1k and just sold on ebay for 355.00

If your after a bit of fun buy some turnigy batts, a leopard but at least go for the 5 series and run a t1810 with a few extra caps..

Enjoy, but don't think fast FE is anything like gassers, different world bud... Learn from me, if you want to keep your budget down i can suggest a good combo after you strip it and give me the weight.. pm me if you like.

justin

#11 ·
Yeah, I here you. I saw a .21 GO Marine engine on RC Hobbies for $220, that might be the right way to GO! I can get a second hand OPS .41 with pipe and engine mount for $80, but I'm pretty sure that size engine is total over kill.

#13 ·
I would but I'm all out of nitro fuel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.