Australian RC Forums banner

Anyone run Boats in SE Melbourne

25K views 38 replies 13 participants last post by  millesm 
#1 ·
Hi All,

New guy to this forum.

I'm having trouble finding places to run my Nitro Airboat. Some parks and lakes have signs specifically saying no RC, and others limit RC to Electric (Lillydale Lake)

I get the boat out on the local cricket ground occasionally, but the Cricketers and footballers limit the times I can get out there.

so, where do boaters run in SE Melbourne ? Any help appreciated! Would be keen to meetup for a run one weekend.

Have pics and vids if people are interested in my body board Airboat.

Altered1

#2 · (Edited)
Hey Altered1, welcome aboard bloke. I believe they race boats at Carribean Gardens in Knox (if that's right) otherwise I can't help ya. Sandman is out your way along with a couple others maybe they can help. :D

#3 ·
Hi All,

New guy to this forum.

I'm having trouble finding places to run my Nitro Airboat. Some parks and lakes have signs specifically saying no RC, and others limit RC to Electric (Lillydale Lake)

I get the boat out on the local cricket ground occasionally, but the Cricketers and footballers limit the times I can get out there.

so, where do boaters run in SE Melbourne ? Any help appreciated! Would be keen to meetup for a run one weekend.

Have pics and vids if people are interested in my body board Airboat.

Altered1
Yes please. :D

#4 ·
Cheers Wobbly !

I knew there was a lake at carribean gardens - not too far for me, and I know there was a rc car track out there.... but this confirms boats - thanks. I'll lookup Sandman, thanks again.

Airboat vid:

FF to about 40 secs.... and I prang it at the end too ! :)

#6 · (Edited)
Looks like their site is down Wobbly, but thanks! I think I'll go for a drive this afternoon and see whats up at Carribean Gardens.

[edit] 65Kph winds gusting to 85Kph..... not a day for boating ! Staying at home

a few more pics:

#7 ·
Present:thumb:

Carribeans good for boats apparently, its a nice big lake there. Although I've never been there when theres been boats there. There also a couple of smaller lakes in Rowville just near stud park that may be alright. But theres houses on the edge so they may not like the sound.
Also it may be to choppy but you could try Lysterfield lake, don't think theres any restriction and its at least the size of Lillydale Lake if not bigger.

#8 ·
Thanks Sandman!

I can pretty much guarantee home owners will not like my Enya 60 :p The old girls got a fair scream on her. I do run her at the local park, but only for one tank of fuel at a time. Will have to check out lysterfield.

#13 ·
I think Lysterfield Lake is out as I don't think your allowed any powered craft. You could check with Parks Victoria as they look after Lysterfield Lake.
There is a Melbourne Water retarding basin in liverpool Rd The Basin. Not sure if there is any restrictions in there, but a lot of people walk dogs there that may like to chase your boat.
I don't know dates that boats run at Carribean but it used to alternate each 2 weeks between sail and power boats or something like that.

#17 · (Edited)
#19 ·
I got these dates from the AMPBA forum :thumb:

Date Event Location
January 22 Club Day Caribbean Gardens
February 12 Club Day Caribbean Gardens
February 26 Club Racing, Rd 1 Caribbean Gardens
March 9/10/11 Caribbean Oval Masters Caribbean Gardens
March 25 Club Day Caribbean Gardens
April 8 Easter, Club Day Caribbean Gardens
April 22 Club Racing, Rd 2 Caribbean Gardens
April 22-28 AMPBA Nationals Queensland
May 13 Club Day Caribbean Gardens
May 26/27 AMPBA Straight-line Speed (TBC) Caribbean Gardens
June 10 Club Day Caribbean Gardens
June 24 Club Racing, Rd 3 Caribbean Gardens
July 7/8 AMPBA 1/2 k Oval Speed (TBC) Caribbean Gardens
July 22 Club Day Caribbean Gardens
August 12 Club FUN Day, Stay tuned !!! Caribbean Gardens
August 26 Club Racing, Rd 4 Caribbean Gardens
September 9 Club Day Caribbean Gardens
September 23 Club Day Caribbean Gardens
October 5/6/7 Victoria State Titles TBC
October 21 Club Racing, Rd 5 Caribbean Gardens
November 11 Club Day Caribbean Gardens
November 25 Club Day Caribbean Gardens
December 9 Club Day / Christmas Party Caribbean Gardens

#20 ·
Thanks Stuart, mouse

Drifter - there is only one way to turn corners with the flat bottomed airboat and that's with the back end hanging out :) cheers!

#21 ·
Went down to Carribean Gardens today for a look at the AMPBA guys running their boats. I don't think there was a boat there that did not have a massive tuned pipe hanging off the back of it :) You could hear these boats running from the other side of the market.

I only got to see 3 boats run in the time I had. There seemed to be quite a few guys there with more than one boat a piece, and it looked like a good club turnout.

I was tight for time, so didn't stop to talk to anyone.... I'll give the club secretary a call or email during the week.

I've had a look at the AMPBA website, and I can find no reference to air propped boats. I wonder if they'd even let my abomination anywhere near their boats :)

#24 ·
If you have a place to run Mouse, I'll join you one weekend.
I think the only place near me is the one in The Basin. I haven't been in there for probably 6 or 8 years so not sure what it is like at the moment, also the boat needs some work and hasn't been started for many many years. Busy with work at the moment and trying to get two cars going and one body painted so my son and I can get back to the Geelong track again.

I will keep it in mined, I will try to go into The Basin to have a look see.

#25 ·
I think that Craig991 is on here Al, he runs some mighty impressive boats at c/gardens from what I have just seen. :D

#26 ·
Nothing wrong with air boats, I doub't you will ever see them racing in Australia though. They are more of an American thing.

#27 ·
That's for sure. There are quite a few up in the NT running around as tour operators during the wet season.

for sure - no racing, not even RC - there aren't enough people doing it.

To show what an air propped boat can do:
FF to about 3.00

#29 ·
This is the crup that annoy's me and gets newbies thinking this is the way to go...

80 someting miles for 3 minutes and it is far from on rails.. At pine hills oval Fast elec club we do 120 kph in a 200metre oval passining eachother like F1 cars..

That thing would slide metres upon metre and have no pick up from start speed..

I could lap it twice in a 5 lap race and he's got a nitro engine, custom build and launch ramp.......lol

For the same money he spent you could have a boat with a boat prop and rudder and do 80 mph on rails for 15 mins...

#30 ·
Telling a newbie that a particular way of doing RC boating (or any vehicle - be it air, water or land) is not the way to go is poor form. If someone wants to use an air propped boat, why would you talk them out of it ? There are as many different ways of playing around in this hobby as I've had hot dinners, none are "the right way" and none are "wrong".

What ever floats your boat.

Reactions: millesm
#31 ·
Not a new thread but I found it on google and this is my first reply. I am from Melbourne East too and I want to get my Kyosho Cat out on the water. I took it up to Lillydale once and raced it around. Nobody seemed to care. The little .18cc nitro motor attracted the attention of the kids on the playground :) I needed to find tune it again to get it back out but I have a new racing prop for it I want to try. I'm also looking for more local places to race. I saw some of the ones up at Caribean market but they are pretty hardcore boats. Mine's not that big and I don't wanna pay to join a club as I wouldn't have time to commit to doing it all the time. your air boat sounds good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.