: New TA05 issues

Okkervil
29-01-2012, 06:36 PM
Hello,
I've just purchased and built the following setup, the intention was to join/race at Boronia in the novices.

I've got;
TA05 completely stock
HBX Brushed ESC 90A w/Cooling fan
Hitec 625MG Servo
Hitec Agressor SRX Pro 2.4ghz (throttle at 125%)
HPI Plazma 7.2v NiMh 4300mAh batteries

With fresh batteries, and at full beans this thing does at best 20km/h.
It can't even spin the rubber that came stock on the Traxxas Ken Block.
It doesn't sound like the engine is revving hard at all, and when it's picked up it doesn't go much harder than on the ground.

The roll is smooth with the gear disconnected, belts are tight, but not too tight, diffs are working properly...

What the ****ens could it be?

Sandman77
29-01-2012, 06:47 PM
What motor are you using?

RoBB
29-01-2012, 06:49 PM
see if u can borrow a lipo of someone, other then that i havent had much experience with brushed and nimh, but i do know that with a lipo it will make a massive difference

Okkervil
29-01-2012, 07:05 PM
I think it's a stock motor. 540 I believe.
Not sure this ESC will take a lipo, failing that I'll go to the track and beg!

RatsacK
29-01-2012, 07:08 PM
I think it's a stock motor. 540 I believe.
Not sure this ESC will take a lipo, failing that I'll go to the track and beg!

ESC should be fine with it. My nephew has a stock HBX ESC and I've let him run LiPo through it with no issues. You can't expect anything special from a silver can motor.

Okkervil
29-01-2012, 07:24 PM
I'm not familiar with them, was intending to run novice at Boronia with it.
At the track today I could take every corner with inappropriate wheels/tyres at full noise.
That can't be right.

My sig seems to have vanished, will pay helpers in Victoria with homebrew and home grown vegies. Smashing an all grain wyeast belgian triple now :D

Sandman77
29-01-2012, 07:28 PM
540's won't give heaps of power but should be a little quicker than that. Try and get a lipo into it and see how it goes.

Okkervil
29-01-2012, 07:33 PM
Yeah I'll have to track one down, the only lipos I have are for my Traxxas and they're not the right size for the TA05. Not sure you can race at Boronia with lipos either.
I'll try and upload a video, if you guys are familiar with the engines, it may make more sense to you.

Sandman77
29-01-2012, 07:48 PM
No you can certainly race at boronia with lipos, almost no one racer or basher uses anything but lipo these days.

Okkervil
30-01-2012, 06:12 AM
So I have just wasted $120 on batteries based on hobby store advice that was wrong. Awesome.

RC noob. Will happily trade RC tips for home brew, home grown veggies, wine and whisky tips.

Sandman77
30-01-2012, 03:00 PM
What store did you get advice from?

Okkervil
30-01-2012, 06:47 PM
RC Garage. They were so helpful. Just perhaps ill informed.

RC noob. Will happily trade RC tips for home brew, home grown veggies, wine and whisky tips.

Godles
30-01-2012, 06:58 PM
Okkervil, are you typing your signature each time? Lol I don't normally see them on tapatalk.

Sandman77
30-01-2012, 07:45 PM
RC Garage. They were so helpful. Just perhaps ill informed.
They're great helpful people, but will try to sell you what they have rather than whats best.

As you will find most people on here buy online due to cheaper price and a better range, although the choice is up to you.
If you're looking for batteries, and are looking to race you may have to get ROAR approved packs. I'm not sure exactly though, check out the boronia and templestow sites they should say what the regulations on batteries are.

Okkervil
30-01-2012, 10:04 PM
It's my first kit and I figure at least the first time around the support may have been more useful than the dollars saved. Turns out they sold me a speedy with reverse which isn't kosher for racing despite the whole purpose of buying the thing was to race.

Okkervil
30-01-2012, 10:04 PM
Okkervil, are you typing your signature each time? Lol I don't normally see them on tapatalk.

No?

zoomer
31-01-2012, 10:39 PM
It's my first kit and I figure at least the first time around the support may have been more useful than the dollars saved. Turns out they sold me a speedy with reverse which isn't kosher for racing despite the whole purpose of buying the thing was to race.

decent ESCs usually have reverse switchable-out

if not... nobody would know unless you actually USED it during a race.... ;)

NiMH usually need 5-10 cycles before performing well, assuming they're good packs

NiMH can get stale on the shelf unused or may be false-tripping your charger
so they aren't fully charged; are you using a decent charger?

Okkervil
03-02-2012, 06:48 AM
I've got a venom pro charger. I'm not sure if it's good or not, or even if I'm using it properly.
I'm using the NiMH mode obviously, and setting it to 4.3. It only takes about 15 mins on both packs to fully charge, about a quarter of the time it takes the same charger to juice up a presumably lower capacity/grunt battery for my Traxxas Ken Block car.

They're HPI 4300 mAh batteries. As I understand/was sold HPI are a good brand.

tresurehunt
03-02-2012, 06:56 AM
what runtime are you getting out of it, just thinking it not getting enough juice while charging maybe

Okkervil
03-02-2012, 11:48 AM
It's that flipping slow and uninteresting that I haven't even bothered to flatten a battery. At the most it's run half an hour at throttle wide open.

Okkervil
03-02-2012, 11:49 AM
I might put it up on a brick and trim it til the battery dies.

fastbaja5b
03-02-2012, 12:30 PM
Try resetting your end points (ESC settings) I found that particularly with the Futaba MC330 / MC230 (which I think the HBX is a clone of) they sometimes 'forget' these, and while your transmitter may be saying 100-125% the ESC may not be seeing all of that and may think you're only saying 30-40%