Australian RC Forums banner

HK T-28 Funfighter

8K views 31 replies 5 participants last post by  Stuart74 
#1 ·
Seeing a few people here buy the HK planes with no real dramas I thought I would try them out so I ordered myself the T-28 to add to my collection :plane:

Postage/Packaging was good, it came double boxed and well wrapped.

It comes PNP with assembly required which is fine so I did a trial fitup last night

Vehicle Toy airplane Toy Aircraft Monoplane
Vehicle Aircraft Toy airplane Toy Airplane

Everything fits quite snug so assembly won't be a problem however I did notice one thing

Wood Office supplies Bumper Tool Gas
Drinkware Wood Tableware Material property Gas

This Pic is the rear of the firewall showing the glued in legs not square
Nose Eyelash Window Jaw Nail

I know that the motors are not dead straight and need the thrust angle but this one seems to be excessive Hmmmm

I have done a bit of research tonite but there are varying opinions out there as to whats best and as my wife tells me :rolleyes: I tend to out think myself so I decided to look at the plane further.

Automotive lighting Wood Tool Automotive exterior Fishing bait
Wood Table Toy Wood stain Hardwood
Wood Gas Hardwood Audio equipment Machine

I removed the prop and very carefully removed the cowl as there was a fair amount of glue used to stick it to the foam, as the first pic shows the nose already has the offset for the thrust angle, the motor seems reasonably positioned but it could be better.

Im after opinions now :thumb: do I remove the firewall and reposition to be more central or assemble it up, chuck it in the air and suck it and see?

See less See more
#2 ·
I would say you should have flown it first befor doing this.

I have a parkzone t-28 trojan and it too looks like the motor is mounted wonky.

However this has somthing to do with the torque/thrust of the motor or somthing. What ever the technical jargen is, it makes the plane fly straight as an arrow.

If you straighten it it might not fly straight any more.

By the way nice plane, I almost bought one, I have 3 different t-28's now, its my favourite warbird.

#3 ·
Aside from removing the prop and cowl I haven't touched a thing :thumb: I did look at my other planks and they are all offset for the thrust angle but the T-28 seems excessive

#5 ·
I tend to agree so tonite I have started the build process, so far I have the wings in place drying and the control horn on the elevator later on I will glue the tail together and take a few more pics I am looking forward to its maiden flight hopefully this weekend if the weather plays nice

#8 ·
I am looking forward to its maiden flight hopefully this weekend if the weather plays nice
I'm looking south west from Temora and can see a huge thunder storm happening.

#7 ·
My Tx is the same as yours so I normally program in 3 settings 50-60%,75-80% and 100%. Generally when flying a new plank I takeoff on 50 so it's a bit more docile and once I'm happy Its a flick of the switch to change.

Couldn't help myself tonite I wanted a plank with more flight time 10min+ so I have purchased a nitro balsa kit, being my first nitro plank I ended up going for a high winged trainer I can see a new build thread coming soon lol

#10 ·
It was just a kit but I ended up getting the motor and electrics with it

#11 ·
Well the she's all ready to go for tomorrow I just hope the weather is kind

Wood Electrical wiring Automotive exterior Wire Cable
Aircraft Toy airplane Toy Vehicle Airplane
Vehicle Toy airplane Toy Aircraft Monoplane

I got the wife to shoot a small clip of the startup test

Sounds pretty quick and from what i've seen online it should be quite fun to fly

#13 ·
Looks like a nice plane! The name is a little unfortunate though (Funfighter) it sounds like it fights against you having fun.

Cheers!

#14 ·
Got up at 6 to go flying....... went back to to bed at 6 05

BLOODY WIND :-(

#15 ·
Should have got up at 4am then! Bugger this happens all the time for me. Busting to go for a fly or a maiden, get all pumped up then mother nature unleashes the wind and your plans are stuffed.

Wind is good makes the plane go faster ;)

#16 ·
I ended up taking a micro down to the park at the end of our street instead but the wind is so gusty it was a PITA ended up just hanging it in the wind most of the time oh well thurs is a holiday I will try for a maiden then

#18 ·
Awesome weather for flying this morning a gentle breeze and plenty of cloud cover to keep the sun at bay I took the micro T28 up first for a few packs, next out came my Sbach for some fun once i finished that pack I decided it was time to maiden the HK T28.
I got my mate to hand launch it for me and on 3/4 throttle she screamed away with little issues, for the next minute or so I did level circuits as I trimmed it out and then we were away, what a blast quite quick at wot but the main thing was stability! for a bank&yank bird it was very comfortable to fly. Loops, rolls and inverted it did it all with little issue.
I brought 4 x 850mAh packs with me and I went through them 1 after the other. Landing was a little different with no rudder to help stabilize it but after the first pack it wasn't an issue.
Overall I'm extremely happy with this bird and recommend it to anyone looking for a quicker park flyer without getting something too large that can make landing a problem

#20 ·
No video:( that would require one of us to put a Tx down and between the two of us we had 7 birds and a 3hr window.

Hopefully we are going out again Sunday morning so I will take a camera with me next time:thumb:

The stock esc is 3-4s capable but I have read nasty stories on HK regarding the esc on 4s so I am not going to bother, the speed I can get out of it on 3s is plenty enough for me.
The only thing I would have liked to try was their 950mAh nanno techs to see if I can get a longer flight out it, I set the timer up for 5 min and at the end of the pack's the 850's i'm using were not even warm and checking the voltage on the multimeter at home they were still showing 11.8v so I could probably squeeze a bit more time there.

Verticle climb is awsome I started to get gamer on the last pack doing loops that roll out to inverted, low passes at half throttle to a verticle climb on wot with rolls the grin on my face was from ear to ear :thumb:

I have a keychain cam which will more than likely be mounted on the nose next time:cool:

#21 · (Edited)
Awsome weather for flying this morning so again we headed out and took a few birds

Vehicle Aircraft Airplane Monoplane Aerospace manufacturer

From left to right is
My Birds
Vmar - high winged nitro trainer (Still under build)
Parkzone - micro T-28
HK - T-28
Eflite - UMX Sbach

Some of my mates birds
Rebel - 70 EDF jet
Eflite - The Beast
P -47
Kyosho - Low winged nitro sports flyer

I managed to get a short Vid of me hand lauching the HK T-28 but with the sun behind us the screen was impossible to see so my mate cut it short but you get the idea

#23 ·
Wait till you see it on wot lol, for now all I run is 3s the reports on HK all say if your going to run 4s upgrade the ESC and for me its plenty quick enough

#25 ·
Reedy reserve in Hampton park the last oval down the back opposite the bmx jumps. I also take the vorza just in case the wind picks up and I will head over to the jumps, best of both worlds

#27 ·
Sounds good next weekend is out for me so probably the following Sunday we normally get down there about 7 and finish around 9-10ish

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.