Australian RC Forums banner

Global's going boating.

3K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  Harks76 
#1 ·
Well, looks like the rc bug didn't stay away long after selling all my Baja gear.

Much to the missus disliking, I bought a boat!

I'm hoping to pick it up tomorrow. It's a 41 inch Jag cat in kevlar. With all the good stuff on it. Cant wait to see it!!

See less See more
#5 ·
Great looking boat! How much did that set you back?

Where is the video? lol

#7 · (Edited)
Ha Ha! I'm sure it will be worth every cent. I hope to have a big boat like that one day. I have seen a few on ebay pretty cheap, probably not as good quality but still functional if treated right.
I bet the wait is killing you! I know I would be running out to greet the postie every day.

#10 ·
Mate you will have a ton of fun with the boat. Beffore you know it you have about 15 boats and get addicted to going fast. Heading down the straights at about 80mph then toss it into the turn at full throttle great fun. Quick tip though buy yourself a rescue boat like a cheap inflatable to pick it up when it stops.

cheers

andrew

#15 ·
Here's a curly one! I used to race boats with the SMPBA years ago and we use to put course sandpaper on the bottom of the hull to stop the hull sticking to the water.
It seemed to work and for a whole season most were doing it with good results. The fad died off after a while, don't know why. No bull, it's true.
The theory was that it created tiny air bubbles between the hull and the water so the boat was riding on a cushion of air.

#16 ·
Most of us sand the shine off the bottom with 400 wet and dry. This creates adhesion with the water which is faster than a gloss finish. We tested some hulls in the Uni water test tank and there is a difference not much but a bit.

I like to run saw boats and at the speeds we run I am not sure it makes a difference.

#17 ·
That's a good buy GW, I have seen one of Micks boats in person and he does a good job with his builds.

I only just grabbed my 2nd hull before Chrissy, if i hadn't I may have grabbed that one as it was a steal.

My 2 bajas see less and less time as I enjoy boats a great deal more.

#18 ·
Nice work bro, got the water bug... Mate they haul ass, just stay away from salt... Just one boat hey??? Yeah gw sure... I'm on my 6th and it runs dual brushless lehners. Can get crazy expensive but so much fun and so f'n quick..

#20 ·
Salt water if fine tiny, I have run my apache in salt water a few times, As long as you give them a thorough clean when done there shouldn't be any issues.

Its actually meant to make them a little quicker as they are more buoyant well thats what they say

#19 ·
Gday Tiny. I miss you. Seriously... How have you been? How is ya bride and your cute lil puppy's (and her puppy's too... LOL) I hope you are all doing well.

Well... I finally took the boat fopr its maiden voyage today. Here... http://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=la...35.263672&hq=lake+st+clair+singleton&t=h&z=14

First launch was a failure as a tiny grub screw that hold the prop on the shaft fell out so the boat no moovie forwards.

Second launch was a failure as I broke the prop shaft by making the simple mistake of placing the boat in the water at idle and didn't "throw it". As there is no clutch and it is direct drive, as soon as it hit the water, it snapped.... Bugger.

Will be down on the Hawkesbury with my dad in his Bass fishing boat next weekend, so spare parts are ordered and i will be ready for my third attempt at launching this thing!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.