Australian RC Forums banner

Planning to build a boat...

3K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  alexander_the 
#1 ·
G'day, I've been RCing for a little while now and mainly on the land with my bashed up REVO (gets a little tast of water now and again). Years ago I had a air boat witch was alot of fun , when it stayed up right, but now I'm yerning for some wet fun again! So wanting to make it a big prodject I've decided to make a boat from scratch.

I found some plans for this 47" beauty...
Water Boat Vehicle Watercraft Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies

And I found a Chung Yang 27cc engine from the states for a really good price, so
this is getting me excited about the build! But I cant decide how I should do the final; drive... I've been looking at hydrojets but can't decide if it would be worth the time and money to go that way? I just like to be different I guess.:p So what do you guys think?

See less See more
#2 ·
go for it. jet will be much more expensive than a surface drive like most boats. But in saying that I know hobbyking make a jet unit for resonable price. BUT I read where a guy used it but he made quite a few mods to it as far as the internal bearings went. Said the build quaity was pretty average.

I dont think that hull would be suited to jet though. If you are in melb google Hobby Supplies. He has quite a good selection of boat gear and is very good on price. I have been away camping and he has expressed posted some parts to me I needed urgently and is more than willing to help with advice etc.

Keep us updated. I love boats. Find them a lot of fun. I now have 4 of em lol. 3 big scale petrol and 1 smaller elec.

#3 ·
Cheers for the heads up. Yeah I wasn't really sure if this hull would suit a jet but was just toying with the idea. Really excited about the build though, even picked up a nice sheet of Jarra ply today for $50 and think it will make a nice deck and sides. All the plans are in PDF format so I should be able to take them on disk to a laser cutters and get everything cut nive and precise!

#4 ·
Three cheers for the boaties!!! Nice hull, fun build. I look forward to seeing it come together.

Cheers, Brett.

#7 ·
what boats do u have fatcat?

Where abouts do you run em. Might have to join you one day. Not TOO far from me lol

#9 ·
I havent anywhere local. Usually just when we go away camping but I have been working lately in Echuca (where I use to live too) and been running em up here after work etc.

You are indeed very close. I have been told the elec boat will be ok to use in Spavin Lake. Its on bulla road just before ya go up hill out of sunbury township.

Also been told Cherry lake in Altona but never been there yet.

Any ideas? I'm open to any lol

#11 ·
nice. How far is that from serpentine.

I will be working in serp next week. Might have to check out this lake lol.

I will also be in boort soon. Can't wait for that. Just dunno how i gunna fit all me boats in the work van hahaha

#13 ·
UPDATE...

Been very bussy over the last couple of months with the comming of our first child and all... Dam those things take up alot of your time!

Anyway still trooping on with the build and stumbling all the way along, but we're getting there. Didn't take any photos of the pre build or during the construction, I was just far too engrossed in it. Some one close to me would even say that I spend more time on the boat than her... Maybe.

Fitting some of the gear

Its the details that matter

And the DONK

Not really enjoying this centre of gravity thing, haven't got all of the parts to true it up and feel that the boat is some what front heavy as it is? It's also a little ruff looking, but its my first build and its just a big learning curve to help with the next build. All I need to do now is some how convince the wife that I need to spend more money, hmmmmmmm.

#16 ·
Sweet build mate. Nice looking veneer and i love the fuel cap. Nice touch.;)

I'm hearing ya re the new bubs. They sure take some time. I'm starting to wonder what i did with all that spare time i no longer have.:p

Its good to have something to keep you busy at home though.:thumb:

#17 ·
Nice looking hull, that's how all boats should look if you ask me. Show off that wood!

Did you end up get the parts lazer cut? What did they charge and who did it for you?

I have some plans for a Cat and if I could get the parts lazer cut at a reasonable price it would make the build much easier.

Cheers, Brett. :thumb:

#19 ·
hehe yeah I'm a bit of a perfectionist but don't have the patience to be perfect!

PC WIZ, I did all the cutting myself with a band saw, I'm thinking of getting the next build laser cut (its a cat too) just so everything fits perfectly. But thats on the back burner for now.

Cheers for the great feedback fellas!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.