Australian RC Forums banner

Need help choosing a motor to suit a large boat

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  westOZEbaja 
#1 ·
It's for the Sea Queen 46" Boat , She's coming with a stock standard brushed motor with no water cooling :S so i want to rip that out and change it.

I don't know which would be the better alternative for what i want though.
I would prefer an electric motor that goes at a walking pace with a battery that can last more than an hour (preferably). The stock battery it comes with is a 12V 7Ah gel cell lead acid battery.
However if i go with a large brush less i was told that i need to think about the water pick up since, if it's going at a slow pace then not much water will be flowing through to keep it cool..

So then i thought about about a Zenoah with a water pump, something with low hp so that it just putts around the pond, and just put a silenced exhaust on her to minimize the noise.. but that is my second option that i don't really want to take i would rather an electric..

So if anyone knows of a good soloution as to what electric engine and battery would get me over an hours run time for a 46inch boat running a 75mm, 3 bladed, cast solid brass prop then i would be very grateful!

This is my first proper kit build so im still in the learning process with it :cool:

Thankyou Nathan

See less See more
#2 ·
Def go the Zenoah with a water pump and the exhaust exiting just under the water surface to keep it quiet. With a big fuel tank just putting around you could almost run it all day on one tank of fuel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.