Australian RC Forums banner

Places to run in Brisbane?

11K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  kamipalms 
#1 ·
Hi everyone.

Thinking of getting a cheap (eg hk) boat for a bit of fun, but not sure if there is anywhere decent to run a boat around here.

I live on the southside at Carindale and the local parks lake has ducks and a big sign saying NO radio control vehicles permitted on the water.

Someone mentioned boondall wetlands but on google it looks like it's in the entertainment centre complex so not sure if it's public or not.

Any info would be great.

Cheers

Russ

#2 ·
Just chuck it in the pool mate ;-)

I drove all the way out to Bayside with my Revo earlier, only to get there and realise I'd left my glow warmer at home :-(

#3 ·
If your OK with saltwater the big pool on the foreshore at wynnum would be good, i've seen a few boats getting round in there. Gets busy with kids in summer though.

Also in the manly marina along the esplanade, they race RC sailboats there some weekends so its obviously not banned.

#4 · (Edited)
Crap, i had a huge list and then hit the wrong button, Any suburb with lake in its name, forest lake, Warner lakes, Springfield lakes etc, Raby Bay Harbour, especially the canals that have public access points nice calm water here, Tingalpa Resiovour, parts of Tingalpa Creek, Back of Daisy Hill forest is an old disused quarry that has filled with water, Karawatha Forest has a large lake, http://bmmclub.com/ use the Boral lakes at Lawnton. I think you can think of more places now, my list was 3 times longer before, but these will get you thinking. Just pull up google maps and star scrolling about, you wil soon see large bodies of water worth investigating.

Lake Samsonvale.
Lake Kurwongbar
Bribie Island, the old guys club race sailboats at crn of Marina Boulevard and Sunderland Drive.
Caboolture River near the weir or even Caboolture lakes.

#5 ·
Lakeside Raceway has a lake as per the name suggests and they actually race full on comp RC's there, not sure how often and public access though.

#6 ·
Watch out for the suburban lakes.....lots of weeds and turtles, can bring a little boat unstuck very quickly. Wynnum is a nice spot just watch out for the big boats and it might not be advisable to take a fast boat amongst the RC sail boats.

#8 ·
The only problem with all the places with lakes in thier names is people.
They think because they purchased a shoe box jammed in between 2 other shoe boxes next to a lake that they own the lake.
Unless your running elect. I would stay away from suburban lakes or some a$$hole will have the cops there on your case. You would be surprised what they will tell the cops to have you removed from the area.(had my car searched)
Stick to the rivers and beaches and make sure your away from houses, unless you can find a good dam with an owner willing to let you use it.
The Boral lakes is a club run area and you will need permission to go in there BMM.

#9 ·
Brushless all the way here :)

I will look into that club at boral lakes as it sounds like it might be a big area.

Unless it's specifically "banned" by council, I don't think 'they' have much recourse. The lake at Minippi Parklands would be perfect but it says NO RC Vehicles on the lake. Personally I reckon they only care about fumes so I'm going to ring and ask them about electric.

Lol, we are in the Forest Lake Lions club and I know that one well. I might ask council about that one too :)

Thanks again :)

Russ

#10 ·
Thats the one I used to go to. If the weed is clear all good, but the turtles still are a problem, I have been capsized by them twice, so I stop going. Didn't want to break my boat or hurt the wildlife. I think you will find that any motorised vehicles, whether RC or 1:1 are banned anyway.
Brushless all the way here :)

I will look into that club at boral lakes as it sounds like it might be a big area.

Unless it's specifically "banned" by council, I don't think 'they' have much recourse. The lake at Minippi Parklands would be perfect but it says NO RC Vehicles on the lake. Personally I reckon they only care about fumes so I'm going to ring and ask them about electric.

Lol, we are in the Forest Lake Lions club and I know that one well. I might ask council about that one too :)

Thanks again :)

Russ

#12 ·
Boondal Entertainment Centre has a large lake and a club that meets there, No Nitro/Petrol allowed, it is electric and sail power only

#13 ·
Just bought a twin prop cat!!!! And it's ELECTRIC!!!!!! Never thought i'd own a boat but had to have it after watching it run, holy crap...

Runs twin brushless and two 4000 3s 35c's.......does near 100k's Faaaaaaark Heading to boondal now im back in QLD, thanks for the headsup towie..

#14 ·
Hi .....just bought a 880 mm mono hull brushless and have been going to the lake behind the Waterford shops (Coles)....... The Logan model boat club have the right a way over the lake and have meet the guys down there and will join soon. Also No Turtles.....
If you want to meet some time pm me

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.