sick of buying duracells :P

4K views 38 replies 8 participants last post by  telby69 
#1 ·
ok, i just bought some more duracell batteries for my RX/TX's

12 per car, 4 cars.... $90 later....

I cant buy rechargeable batteries in the little hick country town i
live in so i have just gone and bought enough (3 of my cars will be
bashed by 3 other pple)

Im wanting to know whats a good option as far as rechargeables go.

I need about 48 AA batteries and charger(s) to have them all sorted each night

i have seen tx/rx battery packs but i have nfi what to get as i have
random radios etc (futuba, hitec, Venom, some other one the name
escapes me atm)

any ideas?

again if anyone knows of something from radiomodels.com.au it owuld be
a very very handy link (i am doing my best to support a LHS
)

thanks again.... looks like another big purchase this weekend

See less See more
#2 ·
I use hump packs in my trucks. There area couple of threads on this. Venom is one brand. Most LHS sell these and chargers to suit.

http://www.ausrc.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2605&KW=batteriesis one.

I bought NiMh AA rechargables from Dick Smith or Tandy. 2100 Mah.

You can pick up a charger from them as well. May or maynot be cheaper than LHS.

Hope this helps

#3 ·
Best quality easily-available NiMH AAs are the silver/green Energizers (Made In Japan by Sanyo), they're up to 2500mAh now. They sell for about $20/4pk at Coles or Safeway.

Next to them in the supermarket will be Duracell NiMHs. They are only 2100mAh & Made In China... not worth it for that (pretty much the same) price!!

#5 ·
With cells you do "get what you paid for".

Oh, DON'T use 4x NiMH in your car. If using rechargeables, always use 5 cells. The best way is to get a hump pack with 5 cells = 6V.

8x NiMH in your TX is 'ok', some TXes have a charging jack that *might* be functional when you put rechargeables in the cradle. Other TXes may need you to get a custom rechargeable TX pack & plug that in before you can use the charging jack.

#7 ·
as far as a good charger goes, i was looking at a Thunder Tiger Digipule or Digipace

Digipulse

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="580">
<t><tr><td valign="top"><blockquote>Digipulse will take care of ALL your charging needs. </blockquote></font></td></tr>
<tr><td><hr></td></tr>
<tr><td align="center">

</td></tr></t>
</table>

<t><tr><td width="20"> </td>
<td valign="top" width="250"><table border="1"><t><tr><td>Input:</font></td><td> 120V AC</font></td></tr><tr><td>Charge Current:</font></td><td> 10-150mA X 6</font></td></tr><tr><td>Cell Count:</font></td><td> 1-10 cells X 6</font></td></tr><tr><td>Trickle Rate:</font></td><td> 1/5th Overnight</font></td></tr><tr><td>Time to Trickle:</font></td><td> 16 hrs (timed)</font></td></tr></t></table></font></td>
<td width="20"> </td>
<td valign="top" width="290">This ultraversitile micro-processor-based six output battery charge is everything you could
want to easily, safely and neatly charge ALL NiCd or NiMh batteries. Easy to hook up and easy
to program - plus it's easy on batteries! Six completely independent outputs charge 1-10 cell
packs from 100 to 2000 MAH.</font></td></tr></t>
</table>

and Digipace

<t><tr><td valign="top"><blockquote>Digipace 3 - your best flight insurance policy </blockquote></font></td></tr>
<tr><td><hr></td></tr>
<tr><td align="center">

</td></tr></t>
</table>

<t><tr><td width="20"> </td>
<td valign="top" width="250"><table border="1"><t><tr><td>Input:</font></td><td> 120V AC</font></td></tr><tr><td>Max. Capacity:</font></td><td> 999 mAh</font></td></tr><tr><td>Discharge Current:</font></td><td> 360 mA</font></td></tr><tr><td>Cutoff Voltage:</font></td><td> 1.1V/Cell (4, 5 or 8)</font></td></tr><tr><td>Recharge Current:</font></td><td> RX35, 70 or 140 mA; TX 70 mA</font></td></tr><tr><td>Trickle Current:</font></td><td> 1/5th Overnight</font></td></tr><tr><td>Time to Trickle:</font></td><td> 16hrs (timed)</font></td></tr></t></table></font></td>
<td width="20"> </td>
<td valign="top" width="290">Cycling NiCd batteries is the only way to determine their "goodness" in order to avoid disaster;
plus cycling keeps batteries in peak condition. Our Digipace 3 cycles batteries by discharging them
at a fixed current to a pre-determined voltage, shifting into the overnight charge rate, then
dropping to a safe trickle - all automatically.</font></td></tr></t>
</table>

im thinking the digipace looks like a better option but anyone else able to shed some light on this?

Im going to buy some of the sanyo/energiser AA rechargeables for radios + some hump packs for the cars for the cars.

i can see the digipulse will allow for chargin of ALL the bateries at
once but the digipace has more functions that seem to prolong the life
of the batteries and ensure optimal charge.

#8 ·
Bit worried about the:
<TABLE border=1>
<T>
<TR>
<TD>Input:</TD>
<TD>120V AC</TD></TR></T></TABLE>

Dunno about you folks on the west coast, but here in the east WE AIN'T THAT AMERICANISED YET...

We're 240V...

Give the yanks a year or 2, who knows?

#10 ·
You'll have to work out the logistics yourself...

There are some noname AA chargers that take 8 or 10 cells at once.

Or buy some plugpack chargers meant for Tandy 9.6V packs. Do some creative rewiring to fit your TX's charge jack. If they're rated at "4 hrs" for a 500mAh pack, they're great overnighters (15hrs) for 8x AA 2x00mAh NiMHs.

Honestly speaking, if you don't use ALL your cars everyday... I'd stick with alkalines for AM TXes. They don't eat much power and a set of AAs last more than enough.

Only with FM & computer radios, they suck like 200mA and will kill alkalines pretty quickly. These I put nickels in if they're used regularly.

Buy humps for all your cars.

Gotta remember to CHARGE them the night before but!!

#12 ·
I was actually just wandering about this myself. I understand that you need 5x AA rechargeables to make up 6v (1.2v each), but what about the tx? If it runs 8 batteries in a series and recommends alkalines, isn't that like 12v? If you use rechargeables, that only amounts to 9.6v. If this is the case, surely it would affect the tx somewhat.

Could someone please explain what the requirements of an 8 cell tx are? And also, I was thinking of buying a few 2500mAh NiMH, to make up some 5-cell packs for the rx. These are what i'm looking at:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43445&item=7514894152&rd=1

I've seen several people make up their own packs, but i wasn't sure if you could just use ANY batteries. I've also got a Roto-start, which uses a 7.2v pack (i think). Can someone recommend a charger thats easy to use, reasonably cheap, and will charge the 7.2v pack, a 6v pack, and possibly even single AA NiMH cells?? I had a look at the MRC Super Brain 969 Pro:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=34063&item=5974203276&rd=1&ssPageName=WD2V

But I've got no idea as to what it can/cant do, or whether it can charge the particular batteries i want to use/make up. I don't really know much about batteries and charging etc. etc. I'm used to all of the "off the shelf" general purpose stuff.

I was thinking of making up a pack, using 5 AA NiMH cells. I've seen a good example on here of someone doing the same with AA Orion 2300Mah cells.

Any help is much appreciated. Cheers - Coxy

#14 ·
i canrecomendthe superbrain. itll do all your nicad nimh batteries + packs, and has peak detect, discharge, adjustable charge rate and other features..

i know a few guys with em, and all have been impressed with it for the price.

another thing to consider: lets say you take 4 batts out your controller and use them in say, a digital camera. now those 4 batts are flat and the other 4 will still have more of a charge. next time you recharge all 8x together 4will be overcharged before the other 4 are properly charged. thats why its best to keep all your Tx packs as a set of 8x and never seperate them unless you have the time to charge each AA individually (or on a superbrain, 2x AA's at a time)

as for soldering your packs, you will need a good solder iron - im not sure exactly how much, buti guesstimate atleast a 30w iron for AA's or probably higher for SubC's or you will damage your batteries due to overheating them with the iron.. higher watt irons dont cool off so quick during soldering, which makes doing the joins a lot quicker with less heat put into your pack.Edited by: Oblivion

#15 ·
coxy321 said:
I was actually just wandering about this myself. I understand that you need 5x AA rechargeables to make up 6v (1.2v each), but what about the tx? If it runs 8 batteries in a series and recommends alkalines, isn't that like 12v? If you use rechargeables, that only amounts to 9.6v. If this is the case, surely it would affect the tx somewhat.

Yes you are right... 8x 1.2V = 9.6V.

Feeding your TX 9.6V will reduce its output a little bit (RF output is proportionate to input voltage), but for land use it doesn't really matter. Your TX can do range of 1km+ in ideal conditions, but you probably can't see your car after 100m anyway.

Some ppl do build 9c & 10c packs which they slip into their pocket. But that's more trouble than its worth, 8c will work fine for your TX.

And also, I was thinking of buying a few 2500mAh NiMH, to make up some 5-cell packs for the rx. These are what i'm looking at:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43445&item=7514894152&rd=1

I've seen several people make up their own packs, but i wasn't sure if you could just use ANY batteries.

yeah any battery can be made into a pack.

They're just soldered together, the trick is NOT to cook them when soldering by having the heat on them too long. NiMH hates heat.

Commercially made packs are spot-welded (very little heating). Or you can buy "tabbed" cells with little tabs already welded on, very easy to solder these tabs together.

I was thinking of making up a pack, using 5 AA NiMH cells. I've seen a good example on here of someone doing the same with AA Orion 2300Mah cells.

You have to consider SPACE... you won't fit 5x AAs into a hole that holds 4c.

When they make hump packs they use 5 shorter stubbier cells (usually 1000-1300mAh NiMH), they're not AAs. The "W" pack takes up roughly the same space as 4x AAs.

If you see hump packs for $25-30 - buy it, 'cos it won't be easy to buy those same cells for any less than $5-6 each.

#16 ·
I work in the electrical retail side of things, but mainly stick to antenna work, home cinema etc. and I've also done 3 years with an auto elec. I know a fair bit about automotive stuff, but all this RC stuff with different batteries, different chargers is a real learning curve.

I've got access to pretty much any major brand electrical company too which helps. I've also got a lot of contacts in spares and repairs in the mainstream industry. For my batteries i'll probly go with a company called Varta. The cells are only 2000mAh - but it's no big deal. I'll get two complete sets of everything.

How easy is this Super Brain to use? I'm used to putting the batteries in the charger, turning it on, then waiting for the "charged" light to come on.

Thanks for all the replys!! - Coxy

#17 ·
zoomer said:
You have to consider SPACE... you won't fit 5x AAs into a hole that holds 4c. When they make hump packs they use 5 shorter stubbier cells (usually 1000-1300mAh NiMH), they're not AAs. The "W" pack takes up roughly the same space as 4x AAs..

that is true, but it also depends on the vehicle theyre going into and the pack configuration used.

I have 5x aa humpin my 4tec, laying on its side. a mate has one in his tc3 where the upper "hump" cell sits slightly above the upper chassis.. yet my mates yokomogt4 can only use 2/3rd A's coz the pack sits between teh upper + lower deck.nitro rustler will take a 5cell pack (shaped like 5 side of a dice) without any probs yet the same pack will only fit in a tmaxx with a battery box mod. Kyosho VoneS will fit a hump also.

the butt-ugly pack (left) was made by my lhs till i disasembled it (and i never got another pack from them after that poor attempt for $40)

pack on the left usually fits tourers n such with a battery "hole" rather than a battery box.. the pack on the right fitssometrucks with a sealed battery box.

best bet, is grab 5x AAs out your Tx and jostle them around to see if they will fit & in what configuration.

#18 ·
Here's a link to their website if anyone's interested:

http://www.en.varta-consumer.com/content.php?path=/1086108639.html&&domain=www.en.varta-consumer.com

That particular battery works out to be $3.50 per unit. And I have no problems as far as warranty goes if something shouls happen. They've got a 15 Minute "Charge and Go" pack as well, AC/DC power supply, and 4 AA's for around $75 retail. I was thinking about Araldyting an extra plastic battery holder onto the 4 cell holder, that way i can just remove them when flat, bung em in the Varta charger for 15 minutes - and they're done.

#19 ·
Hi all,

has anyone checked out http://www.jaycar.com.au - do they do mail order?

Their AA batteries are pretty cheap and you can get them with tabs to solder them into a pack, or as standard AAs for charging in something like Coxy mentions.

8xAA NiMH cells in my transmitter read about 11.8V after being charged and they only drop below 9 after a couple of hours of use. An experienced racer that I met runs his transmitter until the voltage drops to 8.0V then he gives them a recharge.

I wish I new what voltage my receiver pack runs at while the servos are operating, but I'm guessing from my transmitters readout that the receiver pack is much closer to 6V than 4.8. My hi-torque MG steering servo doesn't seem too slow, but I have been intending to stick a 5th cell for a while. I was going to do what Coxy said and wire in a seperate 1 cell battery holder, but the cat chewed the wire off it and they melt when I solder them!

As for charging the cells, have a look at my charger on my for sale page (see link in sig) I use that and have a spare for sale (shameless plug!) and by sticking a 10xAA battery holder on it from Jaycar, I can easily charge any number of cells (1-10). I'm not restricted to pairs or all 4 like so many other chargers.

Only problem with it is that it runs from 12V so I either run it in my 1:1 car when going to work, or off my starter box.

Ciao!
Oggy.

#20 ·
oh god i totally forgot jaycar

looking throught hier site there are some 2300mAH AA Nicad rechargeables.

If I buy 40 they are $2.95 each

what a winner of a deal
with tabs too

and also Nimh 2000mAH for $4.15 each for same quantity.

im thinking thats the place im going

now to find a charger for the house, i wont need one for the car

#21 ·
Personally, I prefer fast chargers, especially if they are a flexible with charge amperage or timers etc, as opposed to the overnight trickle chargers.

I've got about 40 rechargeable AAs in TV/Stereo/DVD/STB/Amp remotes, PC mice & keyboards, RC Radio & receiver etc and getting 12AAs charged for the RC car at the last minute before an outing could be a challenge. A fast charger is what I need.

You can get hobby (RC) chargers for about $100 that can charge various cell counts etc, or Jaycar have a 10xAA trickle charger which I bought for my father in-law, works a treat for his digi cam and remotes.

Oh, when you're at Jaycar, can you pick up a set of 5 2300mAh AAs with tags for me, I've got to build that receiver pack!

Happy shopping! Oggy.

#24 ·
the link you gave has timed out.

I just spoke to my dad who is an electrician by trade who said "why not go to altronics"

so i had a look and found some 2000mHA batteries listed for $5 each with solder tags

he said with trade they will more than likely be closer to $3.50 or $4

he will also solder mine up for me.

now to get the charger

the batteries

bulk for 10+ is the retail pricing he has a trade card with them so said they end up a fair bit cheaper.

#25 ·
Hmm, I'll stick with Jaycar.

They've got a special on ATM for 2300's for $3.75 for nipple or tagged varieties and 2300 will last a good long time in my receiver

The price drops to $3.30 for 10+ or $2.95 for 20+

Jaycar AA 2300mAh cells

C ya, Oggy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.