Australian RC Forums banner

Think ive destroyed my first lipo

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  crusey_aus 
#1 ·
I knew it would happen sooner or later but I think one of my lipo's doesnt want to play anymore.

Its a turnigy 2S1P 30C 4000mah. It wont balance anymore. Ive got seven of these batteries, all purcahsed at different times and this is the only one acting weird.

Cells havent puffed up or gone soft.

Had it on balance for about 4 hours last night, one cell is 4.2 and the other 4.

Should I through it out or run it and try to charge it again?

#3 ·
before reading above response I decided to try and balance again, left it for 2 hours, charging was going at 0.5amps (charger chose this) and it finally balanced.

ill run it again in the slash and if it does the same thing to charge up again i think ill just dispose of it, last thing I want is to risk an $18 lipo in a $400+ car.

#4 ·
When I get Lipo's that dont want to play nice and balance up evenly, I use an external Stand Alone Balancer, set the end voltage to 3.85v per cell and let it discharge and balance the cells out.

While it is working, I place the battery in a clay based pot plant, outside, that way I dont need to be around while it is working.

It can sometimes take a few hours but once it has finished, I can usually put the battery back on the charger and the battery will charge and remain balanced.

Stand Alone Balancers are not overly expensive and easy to operate.

#5 ·
thanks for the advice towie, ive got what I think your refering to, its a lipo charger but only got the balance leads.

you plug it in and it chargers slowly through the balance plug and balances at same time. but there is no option to set voltage levels, so im thinking what your refering to must be something different.

#6 · (Edited)
I have a nifty little standalone balancer, works well but takes some time

http://www.modelrectifier.com/search/product-view.asp?ID=11403

Another option is to charge each cell individually

I have a charge lead that allows me to charge one cell at a time via the balance plug, works well for troublesome packs

Cheers

#7 ·
cool, never soon those before, thanks scott.

#8 ·
Link I posted was wrong mate so I removed it, that adapter was for a multimeter connection to measure a single cell, cant find the supplier of the other one

Cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.