: 4284 2000KV leopard motor PROBLEM? URGENT HELP PLEASE!

BundyRacer
01-06-2011, 08:36 PM
Hi everyone, i have just wired up everything for my rc8te. I have tried the motor and it does not sound normal or run normal! The problem is that when i go to throttle the motor jolts heaps then stops spinning and makes a really weird noise. i havent touched the esc as all i wanted to do is test her out. i am doing the esc tomorrow wit my mates castle hotwire. If someone knows what it could be please tell me as this is urgent since i have a race day practice this sunday and need it going. i will post up a video asap as this shows you exaclty what it does. thanks
matt

crusey_aus
01-06-2011, 08:37 PM
What ESC ?

You dont need castlelink to program the ESC it can be done with your controller

Cheers

BundyRacer
01-06-2011, 08:58 PM
yeah i know but it will be easier with the link. DO you have any idea what it is? i will have the video up in about 5 mins!

BundyRacer
01-06-2011, 08:58 PM
oh a v1 or v2 not sure what version. castle creations esc

BundyRacer
01-06-2011, 09:03 PM
heres the video! please let me know if anyone knows or think they know what it is.
http://vimeo.com/24509228
thanks

kryne76
01-06-2011, 09:17 PM
omfg, is that meshed right? what i would do is loosen off the motor so its not meshed at all and then run the motor to see if its still having the same problem, just to rule out the esc and motor

jas21373
01-06-2011, 09:17 PM
what size pinion is that,sounds like the mesh is way too tight..

B-Money
01-06-2011, 09:25 PM
Yep agree, the mesh sounds far too tight. I usually go for about 1~2mm slop in the spur gear. You CANNOT use the paper trick with MOd 1 gears, even Mod.8 is pushing it.

Just out of curiosity, have you tried it without the motor spinning the wheels etc. and if not why not, seems to me like the logical thing to do and eliminate all possibilities.

Aussie Nerd
01-06-2011, 09:25 PM
Like the others have said take the pinion off and try that, it sounds like you have the mesh jammed against it or something. Otherwise you could have a dodgy solder joint on one of the ESC wires making it cog or something?

Kieren

Godles
01-06-2011, 09:31 PM
Meshing :thumb: had the same thing with my vdf, went to far and the gears made a loud whiny noise.

BundyRacer
01-06-2011, 09:32 PM
yeah we tried the meshing and it didnt make any differece. we unmeshed it fully so the pinion wasnt even touching the spur and it does the same thing. but you cant notice it with no pinion! its a 17tooth pinion!

Aussie Nerd
01-06-2011, 09:33 PM
Is the pinion rubbing on the motor mount or something?

Kieren

BundyRacer
01-06-2011, 09:36 PM
nope took the pinion off and is doing exact same thing! its like the shaft is vibrating back and forth and not going forwards!

Aussie Nerd
01-06-2011, 09:41 PM
Hmm sounds like one pole in the motor isn't running, like I said before it's either the motor, the esc or the wiring. We can try my ESC and that will get rid of two of those things?

Kieren

BundyRacer
01-06-2011, 09:43 PM
yeah but can we use your esc? cause u have larger bullets? also if it was something to do with the wiring it wouldnt even work would it?

Aussie Nerd
01-06-2011, 09:46 PM
We can just hold it together and try it. If one wire is dodgy the other 2 will kind of run the motor, but it will cog really badly sort of like how it is now.

Kieren

kryne76
01-06-2011, 09:47 PM
might sound stupid but swap over the 2 end wires on the motor, recalibrate everything and try that. I had this problem with my merv when it was wired up wrong, spun the right way but very very badly

BundyRacer
01-06-2011, 09:48 PM
ahh ok then we will have a look at you place also are we going to solder that bec on for the MKS? or can you just run them of 6v?

BundyRacer
01-06-2011, 10:36 PM
well there seems to be alot more drag on the motor than the last leopard we had in our HB d8 buggy! Thats without the motor even plugged in! im guessing thats not really a good sign!

Mr.Leopard
02-06-2011, 01:37 AM
bolts going into the front of the motor probably too long and have shorted out 2 coils together via the casing...... unbolt the motor completely and have no bolts in the face of it and try that....

BundyRacer
02-06-2011, 06:41 AM
ok sweet thanks for that, i didnt think of that. ill try it now. if that doesnt work i will unsolder the bullet plugs and try resoldering them just in case one has a loose solder!

Aussie Nerd
02-06-2011, 08:25 AM
Make sure you hold the front plate on really tight when you do that otherwise your rotor will run into the coils, then you'll really do some damage. Just wait till you come over this arvo, we can work it out then.

Kieren

BundyRacer
02-06-2011, 08:28 AM
No he means the bolts that bolt it to the motor mount, the 2 bolts only not 4. Also resoldered 2 times and still does the same thing! somethings wrong with the electronics not the soldering i rekon!

Aussie Nerd
02-06-2011, 08:30 AM
Oh, yeah ok I thought you tried it without the motor attached to the car?

Kieren

BundyRacer
02-06-2011, 08:38 AM
no way lol yeah we will show our dad the solder joints and if he says they are ok then we will wait till we go to your house and find out the problem. it could be the esc just needs calibrating but i dont think it will be that simple nothing ever is lol
Braden

BundyRacer
02-06-2011, 09:01 AM
Well dad said the soldering looks alright so yeah im not sure what it is. i have contacted Kershaw designs to see what i should do. Atleast when we come over this arvo kieren, we can solder up the servo if we cant figure out whats wrong with the motor!

BundyRacer
02-06-2011, 09:37 AM
well i sent an email to kershaw designs and here is what they said!

Sure, i should be able to help you out. Have you tried a different ESC or adjusted the programming on the ESC? While it does sound like something more serious is wrong with the motor, in less severe cases, I've found that advancing the timing only a bit past 0 on the ESC's programming can help cogging. If that doesn't help, send the motor this way with a print out of this email, your delivery address and "returns" written on the outside of the package.

so i will try the different esc this arvy and maybe program my esc with the hotwire which might help a bit.

BundyRacer
02-06-2011, 11:58 AM
well i soldered up the bec for the MKS servo. Here's how i soldered it up. looks pretty dodgy but it works! it will be stored under the esc plate so you wont even see it and it will be set at 9v not 5v! Hopefully kieren might get our motor working this arvo :thumb:

BundyRacer
02-06-2011, 06:19 PM
bahaha lol turns out it was the end points that needed to be done! 5 minute fix lol thanks for your help anyways guys :thumb: will be going to the sunday practice race day so should be good! Hopefully our punisher body turns up tomorrow and i can paint it.

Aussie Nerd
02-06-2011, 07:38 PM
Yet again it was a matter of getting Kieren to fix it:rolleyes:

Kieren

BundyRacer
02-06-2011, 08:56 PM
a 5 minute fix haha

RoBB
03-06-2011, 12:04 PM
Yep agree, the mesh sounds far too tight. I usually go for about 1~2mm slop in the spur gear. You CANNOT use the paper trick with MOd 1 gears, even Mod.8 is pushing it.

Just out of curiosity, have you tried it without the motor spinning the wheels etc. and if not why not, seems to me like the logical thing to do and eliminate all possibilities.

is there another trick to meshing the mod 1 gears?

Aussie Nerd
03-06-2011, 12:11 PM
Just eyeball it, it's not to hard. I usually look for about 1-2mm backlash in the spur.

Kieren

Sh1mmy
03-06-2011, 08:52 PM
I bring the mesh right in tight and slowly wiggle it out until there is just a little bit of play, I usually hole the pinion still and rock the spur to feel the mesh.
I then spin the spur around and check a few spots, not all spurs are perfectly round.

I find this the easiest, quickest and most reliable way of doing it, paper trick sucks, can sometimes be too loose or can be a pain in the arse in some models.

Before my venture into 1/8th I had read quite a few times to set the mesh looser than usual or looser than other 1/10 pitches, I don't see a need to, I have no problems, no binding, no unusual wear (aside from a soft metal pinion) and I like it the way I do it, ends up with more surface contact.

B-Money
03-06-2011, 08:57 PM
is there another trick to meshing the mod 1 gears?

Probably but it seems to be the common way of doing it. However, if using a plastic spur maybe a little less slop as it may wear in a little.