Australian RC Forums banner

boat build help

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  griffiths51 
#1 ·
Hi guys, really new to all of this, so i'm statrting this project with no knowledge of it at all.

i got some plans to build a 1 8 scale hydro out of ply/balsa etc.. my question is once the hull has been built what do i seal it with ?

Also is there somewhere that sell's canopies / cowls or is ther a way of making my own ?

i plan on running a nitro motor in it, any ideas or reccomendations on the build would be much appreciated. i don't have any experience with fibreglass either but would this be a better option then wood ? The hull appears to be about 42 inches long.

#2 ·
www. hobbyking. com youll pickup the boat you want and something if not better for a 1/4 of the price its gona cost u to make it yourself and minus the headaches

#6 ·
definetely the first build. thanks for the advice on the build materials. when you say resin, do you mean fibreglass resin ?
Researching alot at the moment, still looking for a bit of sparetime to make a start !!!
Found a good looking cowl today off a f 41 stryker hydro hull. Seems to be around the same dimensions i think i need, plus
with a choice of three designs they look the part.

#7 · (Edited)
Yes, use a fiberglass resin. try using a 6mm marine ply for the main structure and then a 3mm ply for ' sheeting ' the hull - the 3mm will allow you to easily bend and flex the ply to wrap around the structure. If the curves are too tight for the 3mm ply you can always soak the ply in water for a while which will make it easier to work with.
The use of epoxy glues will help a lot. Basically, what you need to avoid is a hull join like the keel or a chine from opening up and finishing with a couple of coats of resin will help to reinforce the glue joins.

To go one better, you can apply something like a 25mm woven fiberglass tape to all of your internal joins between your resin coats

Just read your first post again and noticed your thinking of using a nitro engine for this build ?
If its around 42 inches your going to need 3 or 4 nitro engines to push it.
Defiantly a candidate for a 26cc RCMK or Zenoah marine engine

#9 · (Edited)
The hull MUST be made to the plans!

If not, it will destroy how the boat handles and rides on the water. I have built many of these style boats, including outrigger hydro's, the lighter you build it, the better and faster they go! Only use a minimal amount of glue/epoxy resin, I use CA to bond the parts together, and only use epoxy to seal everything inside and out, only a very thin layer of epoxy is required.
Another build tip I can give you is, if you have a lot of area to seal, and you will, you can use a good quality epoxy 2 pak automotive clear coat to seal the entire boat, it is of epoxy nature, and seals wood very well. Wherever you apply colour paint, give the clear a light sand first, and you will have a professional type finish.
DO NOT use polyester resin, it is not nitro fuel proof, it will peel off if fuel is spilt on it, and the wood underneath will swell and become soft!

Follow the plans and build instructions to the letter, if not, nothing will go right and you'll regret it later.

Most hobby shops that supply plane kits will have all the ply and balsa sizes you require, as well as the brass tubing for the stuffing tube/flex shaft tube etc. All your running hardware can be sourced at www.ozspechobbies.com.au.

If you have any further questions, you can PM me and I'll give you my number.

Cheers.
savageXL

#10 ·
cheers mate,

all that info is a huge help to me, it's not something i want to rush, so i'm going to take my time and do everything properly. it's all about the build and having fun doing for me. When it all runs and looks good on the water that's the icing on the cake.

really appreciate the info

Cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.