Australian RC Forums banner

New to Flying

3K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  AndyGray 
#1 ·
I've been keen to give flying ago, after many countless searches on Mr Google and decisions i decided to get this " Durafly Cessna 182 5 channel " The plane its made of EPO foam.

Here are the specs

Spec.
Length
: 1090mm
WingSpan: 1400mm / 55.10in
Propeller: 10x5E
Flying Weight: 1450g
Motor: Brushless outrunner 35 series
ESC: 30A

I have already a DX6i and a AR500 RX ready to go into when she arrives also ordered 2 11.1v 2200mAh 3S1P li-po...

I have a Phoenix sim which i have been racking up a few hours a night of training...

Any tips on how to fly & set up ?

#2 ·
I just brought a skyartec Cessna Brushless and i am just making my last adjustments now then me and my old me are going to fly it on a buddy system so if i stuff up he can take over with a diffrent controller and trim it while im flying

Very easy to fly just hard to land cause of the Front wheel lol

Just take it slow dont go fast and just practise a few lands to start with

Cheers brad

#3 ·
Also does it have flaps that will make it much easier to land you can almost land them at walking pase

Cheers brad

#4 ·
Hey Brad i was looking at the Skyartec is very similar to the Skylane one (if not its a direct copy of it) & has working flap system also..Have you got a flight Sim ?

#5 ·
when you go to fly it make sure the area is big. Also make sure you have heaps of room to take off and land.

Also, on landing, as you know land into the wind but if the plane rises when you're trying to land don't force it down. Too many times i have wanted to land and i have just forced it down resulting in it breaking. This is a good reason to land in a HUGE area.

Anyway, these are just a few things i've learnt. I have just recently gotten back into flying.

also, check the CG, i have a tendency to get a new plane and just go and fly it without checking the CG making it fly terribly.

#6 ·
HI Sonic,

First give the machine and manual to an experienced pilot to "check" it over for you..

Then buddy up with someone else who has fling experience..

If you can't buddy up get an ultramicro CUB, they fly very similar, will pair with your dx6i, and they bounce without breaking most times.

Phoenix will help you heaps but the UM cub will do more, large area, gentle inputs nothing fast.

Cheers and enjoy.

I've been keen to give flying ago, after many countless searches on Mr Google and decisions i decided to get this " Durafly Cessna 182 5 channel " The plane its made of EPO foam.

#7 ·
For the price of that cessna, charge ya batts, grab a 6 pack and go terrorise the kids at your local field.. Try a park without huge spotlights (kinda found one once)
CG is very important though..

#8 ·
I had a problem with the flap servos when connected to a Y harness 1 servo went the opposite direction (eg: left flap went down while right flap went up) so i modded the servos wiring and now all sweet, both flaps move the same direction now...Only 1 thing now that the flaps are activated on the gear switch

#9 ·
Does anyone know how to slow my flap servo ? ATM when activated it deploys too fast

#10 · (Edited)
Air you talking flaps or ailerons? I have the skyartec version in the shed, has ailerons but not flaps, to be honest not the easiest plane to learn on due to the small wing area.
edit: I just googled and see it has flaps:) mabe try reducing the end points so the flaps have less throw, the servo speed can not be slowed in your radio. I think you may be able to buy an after market speed control for servos as the are commonly used with retracts on larger planes.

#11 ·
Pete i tried reducing the end of point but that doesnt solve the servo slowing down..But i did find this

Anyone knows who has one here is Aust ??

#14 · (Edited)
#13 ·
I want the flaps to come down slowly & not at a normal servo rate..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.