Australian RC Forums banner

Is it better to have a RC 2 Stroke Gas Boat with a Clutch or without a Clutch?

18K views 28 replies 7 participants last post by  kamipalms 
#1 ·
I have been considering buying a new RC boat this time a 2 stroke , i normally run Nitro or electric. I do have a HPI BAJA 1/5th Scale 2 stroke 23cc engine. But what the problem is , im unaware of whether i should get a boat with a clutch or without one.

I have had my eyes on this boat for quite a while now - http://shop.rcboatbitz.com.au/index....roducts_id=410
and that comes with a clutch but it's kinda slow when running.

I have even had a look at this one - http://shop.rcboatbitz.com.au/index....roducts_id=409
but that has no clutch and it is quite a bit faster.

However im still confused on which way to go.. i gave Adelaide Lawn Mower Center a call and the guy told me he has the 2 stroke boats with no clutch , and a shut off switch on the transmitter since then i been trying to make my mind up on which way to go. could someone be able to help me out with the problem, i know my rc's but have never really encountered this sort of problem. it may seem stupid but i just want to know which is more sufficient.

Thankyou in Advanced

See less See more
#2 ·
Running a clutch is a personal choice with both advantages and disadvantages.
To make it easy I'll list a couple of both;

Advantages-
you can launch the boat on your own without having to 'throw' the boat into the water
you can idle in the water without stalling
Ideal for multiple engine installations

Disadvantages-
Clutches rob power
You'll need to run a water pump to supply water to the engine when the boat is stationary in the water
For high speed/ race applications running a clutch and water pump adds weight

There's no harm starting out with a clutch as it can allways be removed.

The two boats your looking at from RCboatbitz are probably good to start with but you will find you'll be upgrading the engine ( zenoah clone) and running hardware which becomes costly. may be try a second hand boat to start with , just to get a feel for boats without spending a fortune.

#3 ·
Thankyou Very much for that info, it really helped quite a lot with my problem.

I think i will have to buy one with a Clutch considering where i will be running it at (Penfield Park) there is other boats on the pond which are smaller and vary in speed,so without having a clutch it could cause a bit of problems and damage too.

As much as i want the boat for speed i could always just buy the Boat with a clutch and just upgrade the engine it may not make a huge difference but at least gives you peace at mind knowing you can stop and not stall it then go for a swim to retrieve it.
I shall check out some boats that are running and see what takes more to my liking.
Thankyou very much for help once again!

#4 ·
your actually prepared to go for a swim? if i was to get into rc boats id be buying a cheapo $100 boat with a bottle tied to a couple metres of thin cord and hope u can snag it on there and pull it in lol

#5 ·
I run 2 boat large boats 1 eith and 1 without.

My personal preference is WITH a clutch because its just so much easier. Can start it in the water. Let it idle and then just drive off.

Also found depending how much your setup "slips" you could stall when you spin without a clutch. But with you just keep going and drive off again.

Only reason I run a boat without and because it won't fit. Its not that much of a extra hassle as it doesn't bite the water when slow so can just drop it in and will rev n airate the water till it grabs and takes off.

As for the weight. I doubt you would feel much difference. The problem comes with CG of the boat when running a clutch. It pushed the motor back quite a distance so it could really muck with some boats CG.

As for my mono hull. I need to run a clutch because the shaft isn't long enough to get to the motor without and its a big hull so it sitting up front works well.

If you buy it with a clutch it should be setup for it. If you are building a hull then it can get complicated.

Also if you do buy one with a clutch MAKE sure it does have a water pump. I got a el-cheapo boat for my first with a clutch but no water pump. Was ok but just dont leave it idle to long.

#6 ·
I have not played around with boats but I can only assume a clutch would also be quite a bit safer.

#8 ·
That pretty much sums up on whether or not i should go for a clutch or without! i think i will stick with a clutch since im only just getting into the 2 stroke boats. better play it safe rather than spend a fortune and end up getting hurt or bankrupt lol,

Would you know of any places online that sell the large 2 stroke boats with a water pump installed?
i was looking at this one just now but its only watercooled so only when its moving is the only time the watercooling is in motion. - http://superandcheaper.com.au/view_product.asp?id=1179

#10 ·
its gona generate a crapload of laughs in this thread too LOL!

id rather buy one of them and put a mad brushless system in it, freak out the other ducks in the ponds and freak all the little kids out

WAtch out guys its superduck!!!!!!!!!!!

#12 ·
ok how the hell does that work

#13 ·
cast it out and get it hooked on the boat.

Screw that though lol. I doubt anyone would be able to cast far enough to get my boat half the time lol.

I use a speedboat most the time but when thats not around I have had to swim for it once and blow up boat other times.

#14 ·
Having a clutch is a great way to get into boating. Racing you never really see them. Another option is to contact a club and see if any members have boats for sale. The advantage being you get a set up boat. There is a thousand little tweaks you make on a boat that can make a huge difference. If you want ease of starting and all out speed go for a fast eletric. Check this boat out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQ-5m5-0KHg. I have the same setup in construction at the moment.

#16 ·
ha cant see me swimming for a boat, ill probs swim about 10 metres and then ill need someone to rescue me before i drown! smoking is bad boys n girls!!!

#20 ·
The Hulls Look great!! how much you gonna be charging for them if you dont mind me asking? , im quite liking the cat on the end and the deep V , would be interested if i dont have further luck with my boat hunting haha

#21 ·
Not too sure on prices just yet, it's all going to come down to material costs but I'm hoping to bring these hulls in at around the $450 mark
I'm only going to offer these in carbon fibre / kevlar as I think fibreglass is way past its used by date.
In time I'm planing on offering these hulls as complete RTR's with radio, hardware and engine options - in other words , you'll have a choice of what gear goes into a RTR hull.

The cat in the pics has changed a little as I didn't like the way the 'cabin' was going - too boxed shaped. I'll post some more pics soon.

J.

#22 ·
ok then no problem , it sounds really good what your doing and i agree with you about the Fiberglass its a well known material for boats but has its weak points plus it bloody hurts when the fibers get stuck in your hand haha, carbon fiber sounds like a good alternative strong and light and looks good too.
if you dont mind mate when your ready to sell any RTR models that you are planning on doing preferably in a Deep V or a Mono, it would be good if you could let me know , cause i would be more than happy to get one off of you!

All the best for the boat building :)

#23 ·
I'm still very interested also mate. Still not sure where I could fit another boat lol but can always make room if I do buy one off ya lol.

#27 ·
the cat ended up being a little bigger than I was aiming for. It started at 47" but grew a little to 49" by the time I finished the bow/s and allowed enough room for a set of Arneson style surface drives.

These guys

Hood Blue Vehicle Aircraft Monoplane

But being a little bigger there's enough room to fit an inline twin engine and gearbox if anyone wanted to go that way.

Off to the next build - Ski boat

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.