Australian RC Forums banner

Flood victom.

4K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  Grazacind 
#1 ·
A mate of mine was helping clean up one of his mates rental propertys in oxley and came across this.The owner was going to throw it out.My mate saved it and gave it to me knownig i could do somthing with it.It was complete minus tx evan come with brissy river water.I stripped it and let it all dry.1 servo still works.The engine is shagged as it had been sitting around for a few years unused.It had a os 28 wich are non existent now.The length is 29 inch's x 10 inch's .I thinking a brushless set up might work,But what one?.Might have to do some research.Any things good for free.

See less See more
#3 ·
you will need to seek some more advice on this or convert it to surface drive. I have a old home made boat that is submersed drive like this (meaning the prop is under the boat not behind it) and it bounces like all hell. Can't keep it down. It is just to much lift for it.

Looks like a good score though. Keep us updated

#7 ·
I'm not 100% sure but thats what I would be doing.

From the lil itty bitty knowledge I have of this with mine so far. The new brushless motors running damn fast and have the grunt to turn a big prop. Submersed drives like this dont seem to work with the light weight and power. If you have the time I would be def running a surface drive out the back on it. But might be worth a try also as is coz it was setup from factory like that so might work ok.

#10 ·
Ive bought all off this aswell.Should be all i need to get her going.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/120839679515?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/120839723949?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/120840678370?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/120841183245?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
Ive also cleaned out the hull of all exsiting fixings and ready for some fiberglassing to fix up all the holes in the floor.I also need to make a woodern transome plate to stregthen the back as it will now have some fixtures on the back.Ill try to upload some pick as the camera is playing up atm.

#12 ·
Ive got all the old holes glassed up and made a transome plate and resined that in place.I bogged and primed the hull ready for a block down.Going to paint the hull white and the deck bright orange.The hardware turned up yesterday but still waiting for the motor and esc.

#13 ·
Looking great! I can't wait to see it go.

#15 ·
Its a seamonster 3656-2600kv.475w.Max current 100amp.It comes with a 150 amp esc.It was a cheap set up from ebay as im all new to this brushless set ups.This is my first boat so any advice will be apreciated.As for batterys all i have at the moment is 1 venem 7.4 5000mha lipo.Can i run two off these and if so how do i wire them together.

#16 · (Edited)
Whats the maximum input voltage of the esc?

The motor can take up to 18 volts or so.
So thats good for 4s lipo, so you will have to run 2 of these in series. If your esc is set up for multiple batteries just plug in and go. Otherwise you will need to get a series adapter or wise add a second connector onto the esc in series. Check out the big electric sticky thread in the batteries/electronics section for more info.

#21 ·
So that means you can run 3s or 4s on the motor and upto 6s on the ESC.

So I say run it on 4s for the most speed.

You can run 2x2s lipos in series to make a 4s setup

or

You can can 2x4s lipos in parrallel to make it a 4s setup with longer run times.

Is the ESC water cooled?

#19 ·
Im lost to G.W but just to small for one of those motors.This will be my intro and if i like it i will invest in a gas boat.I had a hydro that i sold a while back that i now regret.Oh well things we do.Hows your boating coming along any time on the water yet?.

#20 ·
Oh yeah. My boat looks awesome in my lounge room... Have been away since picking it up last week. Was supposed to go to Lake St Clair (our water source) today or tomorrow. But the bloody rain has put an end to that! :bang:

Mick270 is who i bought it off, and evn he has not got it wet yet! The best I have done is run it on a stand in the back yard.

I will update my thread as soon as it hits the water :thumb:

#23 ·
I don't want to upset you but your hopes may be a little high for that package you bought off Ebay. It's certainly no race winner and to be honest there's no way that particular ESC will handle 150 amps. Maybe in a very short burst but I'd be holding my breath. Both the ESC and motor are really the bottom of the rungs on the ladder of boats equipment. They will power your boat but don't try using a bigger prop or more cells. Stick to a 3s or 4s at a push. I would advise against hooking up anything more than a total of 4s (four Cells). You are working with gear which is designed for minimum cost which involves poor quality wiring, soldering and magnets.

You will need plumbing and it looks like you intend to use a 3 way system. Way too much for a single rudder pickup. A simple transom pickup would do then using a combiner or T piece, combine both flows to enter the ESC first, then the motor then the motor mount and finally out of the boat using the proper fitting.

Make sure you make completely watertight joins. If anything blows off you lose the lot due to burnouts and wet electricals. Take everything easy for a while and avoid any long runs flat out. Run a few slow laps around whatever you're floating her in and bring her in to check the temperature of the ESC, MOTOR and BATTERY if any of these are too hot then look at a smaller prop or less battery. Good Luck

The guy who's boat jumps off the surface. It's called porpoising. Your propshaft is running too deep and forcing the boat up out of the water. This will only happen when your boat hits the plane. To lessen this problem, raise the angle of the propshaft until it stops and the boat runs flat. Watch a dozen Utube videos of what they call hign speed boats and half of them will be jumping or making a sound as if the motor is losing drive every second I'm not much good at sound effects but instead of WIIIIIIIIIIIIIiiiiiiiiiiiiii you hear WIII WIII WIII WIII WIII WIII (I did warn you) This is the same problem but not quite as bad as yours.

As yet I've never seen or heard of a RC boat having a surface drive. These affairs are usually used in much bigger multi million dollar launches. Some RC boats may run with their props just slighlty out of the water but as soon as the boat gets onto it's plane the prop has dropped some distance into the water. I think what you are referring to are the propshafts which leave the boat forward of the transom and the prop is under water aft of the transom and those where the propshaft usually followed by a stinger leaves the boat at the actual transom. The stinger and propshaft are already slightly sloped into the water. Actual surface drives run with the prop half in and half out of the water and the boats is trimmed by trim tabs on the move with the tabs actually driven up or down by hydraulics. The trim tabs used on RC boats are fitted just to look good or for their real reason of keeping the plane of the boat constant (most of the time) Something which takes knowledge and many attempts to get right

#24 ·
Thanks for all that info propfella.I will start with a pair of 3s and see how we go.With the sunny days we've been haven i managed to get the hull painted up ready for completion.I will need to denib and buff up the deck as some crap landed in it whilst drying but thats nature.The bottom and inside was just 2k white and the deck was some green i had laying around from my panel shop days.

#25 ·
Boat looks good mate. Remeber to set your cog at about 30%.

As for Propfellas advice he is on the money with taking it easy first up. Small props and plenty of checking is what is needed. But the surface drive is very much a surfacing propeller drive. The motor simply would not swing such a high pitch prop completely submerged. Doesn't matter though what ever works and is fun is what it is about.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.