Australian RC Forums banner

TREX 550e

3K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  Uba Tracker 
#1 ·
Hi all, well I finally decided on a TREX 550e 3G Flybarless as a suitable upgrade from my Blade 400. So this weekend has been spent putting my new toy together, unfortunately it's still a little way off being finished but the process has been great fun. I've been following the instructions quite rigidly only straying away when I find something that blatantly defies logic, and there have been a couple things mainly the order in which things are installed. Anyway given that I'm just about to install the electronics I would be curious to know if anybody who has done a build one of these has any tips that would help from this point onwards.

cheers

Harry

p.s. I'll post some pics when it's all done.

#2 ·
Use a thin , firm tape to mount the 3G sensor unit , the supplied stuff is too soft ....

then double check the gyro response after you set it up !

#4 · (Edited)
Hi all, well maiden flight on the 550 today, all went quite well except had a tail wag that I couldn't dial out with the gain. Got down to 52% but that just resulted in a mushy feel with the tail doing a lazy wag, increased it up to 80% and it predictably developed a fast aggressive wag. The gyro set up was done as per the manual, setting end points pitch slider was done in HH mode (recommended) whereas I normally would've done it in rate. There is a delay setting which allegedly addresses this issue so I might give that a go and see what happens. Any other ideas???

#5 · (Edited)
Managed to steal a couple of hours this morn to test some setting changes.
1. In the rudder delay setup I changed the heli size from 550 (large heli) to 250/450 (small heli) with the gain at 60% and noticed an immediate improvement.
2. Then just to satisfy my curiosity I changed heli size back to the default 550 (large heli) and dialed in approx 10% delay which seemed to give the same level of improvement. Setting the delay amount is really dodgy because it all comes down to how much rudder input you give it while in setup mode, there's no percentage values that can be selected or recorded so it's a very roundabout method. The only thing I could come up with was to go in to the monitor screen and while watching the 3G unit LED's, move the rudder stick until it started blinking and then dial in approx 10% delay and stick a piece of tape on the screen which was fashioned into the shape of arrow to record the position.
I reckon there is still room for improvement but it seems like I'm on the right path. The only other thing I noticed was a slight 'porpoising' which I think is excessive elevator gain on the 3G unit, I'll have a play around with nex time out.
Other than that what a fantastic heli, I now know what everyone means by more stable easier flight with a 500 or bigger. Man these things haul a$$ and they are no slouches in the corners either, I reckon my Blade 400 will just gather dust from now on...........

cheers

Harry

#6 ·
Pleased you got it sorta sorted , none of our 3G people turned up today ; I've setup a few , but haven't needed to troubleshoot any, yet .........

( I use BeastX FBL electronics in my helis )

The bigger helis are LOTS easier to fly , hey ....But they do cost more when a gravity attack happens.....

#7 ·
Yeah it's kinda sorted, well enough to fly without too many complaints. I need to smooth out the elevator and aileron response, it's a bit touchy at present, might soften the expo a bit and/or roll the gain on the 3G down a little, it's still set at the default value which is 12 o'clock on the dials.

#8 ·
I've seen lots of reference to 'Rudder Lock Gain' as part of the 3G programming in dealing with tail wag and I have absolutely no idea what it is. Could somebody explain what is/where to find it/how to adjust it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.