Australian RC Forums banner

parkzone P-51 Mustang BL

15K views 48 replies 14 participants last post by  little_drifter 
#1 ·
Well I have had this baby on layby for all of about 5 days. I won a few hundred on the pokies this week so I had to get it off layby sooner rather than later. My only intention for the layby was so the missus dosnt crack the ****s when I spent $249 in one shot, my plan was to pay it off but the winnings helped my cause. (I am not promoting the pokies for you younger members!)

After recently buying the Parkzone Ultra Micro P-51 Mustang (see my thread) I had to get the same plane but full size.

So here it is. I got the BNF version since Ill be using my DX6i transmitter. Here is a pic of it in the box and all of the parts on the table.

See less See more
#2 ·
The plane comes with the AR500 rx. All that was need for assembly was to plug the ailerons into the 'Y' harness, attach the 1 piece wing and screw it secure. Attach the horizontal stab and the linkage and secure the stab with the provided tape. Change the plugs to Deans on the included 3s 1300mah lipo and the ESC. Charge battery and bind to the DX6i, which was as easy as putting the bind plug in and turning on the transmitter in BIND mode.

It tool all of about 10 minutes to get it all together.

#5 ·
That's really nice.

It's making me want a plane even more, to bad you have to get a slow learner plane to begin with.
Just get a sim and practice then buy what ever plane you want and hope for the best! ha ha well it could work like that but could go horribly wrong!

I have been using FMS sim but will get Real Flight G5 I think after using it again today in Model Flight.

I am super happy with this plane, just BUSTING to FLY IT! Weather in Adelaide is **** house! It is cold and raining!

#8 ·
I have clear view rc sim http://rcflightsim.com/ and I'm using a cheap radio with it. Can pretty much fly every plane on there with easy and many more I have downloaded inculding the P-51 Mustang, sukoi and cousair.

Would this translate into real life or not really.
Yeah I think that it is a pretty good start. Sims are pretty good for learning the controls but nothing beats the real thing. I havnt flown anything this big yet as I have always flown helis. As you know I have the ultra micro P51 and can fly that now worris at all.

I plug the batt into the ESC to test the controls and to fire up the motor! It is a 960kv brushless motor with 18A ESC and it seems pretty dam powerful! AWESOME!

DB you should get a plane and add to this section of the forum! Get one of these to start with! http://www.modelflight.com.au/products/Parkzone_Ultra_Micro_J_3_Cub_RTF-4576-11.html

My plane is 4 channel capable but I am not going to bother with the rudder for now so 3 channel it is.

#7 ·
2 things......

CONGRATS on getting it man it looks SICK..... Bet you can not wait to fly it ...

2. I have the same tattoo on my chest same size color and all like the one on your arm i have them on my arms 2 but diffrent colors

Cheers brad

#10 ·
Thanks Towie and Brad.

Brad, it seems to be a pretty common tattoo! I was going to get it red and black but when I got it done I thought that a blue and green star would look good. I was wrong so a year later I got the green cloured in black and it is way better now. It is one of 8 tattoos I have.

Anyway, I am super impatient and want to fly it NOW! Bring on day light savings I say, Ill be able to fly until the sun goes down at around about 8:30pm. I hate winter expecially now I am back into flying!

#12 ·
hey DB for your first plane you will likely run it into the ground (most people do)

many people go for foam planes with the motor in the middle above the wings like this one

http://rchobbies.com.au/store/product_info.php?cPath=38&products_id=53831

and when you get good at flying it you can mod it like these people

http://www.rcpowers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2402

(not sure if they mention their mods there but its a long read by the looks of it)

the people who did this are into experimental planes and do some pretty weird things, also search for rcsuperpowers on YT

http://www.youtube.com/user/RCSuperPowers

#15 ·
I didnt get the rudder servo. The ultra micro is 4 channel but I dont really use the rudder, maybe I do a little but I am not concious about using it. I will get the rudder servo once i feel confident with the Mustang. No hurry from my point of view though.

#17 ·
Thanks B-money,

Yeah I have watched many of rcpowers vid a while ago but now cars have consumed me:D They look like great planes to muck around with and modify.
Seems that mother nature gave Adelaide nice weather today! One would say it was perfect for flying a brushless P51 Mustang even! Well mother nature can kiss my ass as I had to work ALL bloody day long! Grr

Hope tomorrow is a nice one so I can take the beast out for its maiden! So excited but so nervous at the same time.

#20 · (Edited)
Next week. Na just kidding :D I love the ease and power of elctric to much, plus I have everything I need to keep me running e.g. lipo's and chargers.

Nitro cars and buggies are different IMO than a nitro plane. I would hate to have a engine that is not tuned right stall while in the air and come crashing down.

Ill be sticking to elctric for EVERYTHING RC!.......EVERYTHING

Next after this beast a ducted fan jet! They are awesome and so fast! but that is not for a while!

Nice weather in Adelaide today but a little too windy for me! I didnt want to crash my new baby, so I flew my little one instead and hit the Simulator for some flying time.

#21 ·
Looks cool man =) I really wanted the mustang, but decided against it, as i hate hand launching unless i am on some sort of ledge of at the top of a hill... i find it much easier to take off from the ground - i don't see how or why it's recommended to hand launch for beginners????

I love the parkzone planes, and get yourself a hot glue gun if you dont have one already man - make sure you get the yellow opaque (or stronger) sticks, as the clearer opaque sticks don't hold so well...

What batteries are you using in it man? Keep that thing as light as possible, and you'll be happy - i'm running turnigy 3S 2200mah packs in my trojan, and hey're ok, but have tried my mates hyperion and Thunder Power packs, and they're awesome, but money is an issue - hence my choice for the turnigy packs - they were only $14 at hobbyking - gotta love that!! -lol-

Apparently nitro plane engines are totally different to nitro car/truck engines (only from what i have heard tho) and apparently hold their tune pretty well...

I have the Phoenix sim and that's pretty good - you can even send in pictures of your plane and they will add it in their FREE updates =) But i was told after purchasing it, from the guy at... i forget and can't be bothered looking it up -lol- (i didn't buy the sim from him btw) - some shop in brissy who sells only plane stuff, that the phoenix sim was better for planes than the realflight sim? He said the realflight sim was better for helis and phoenix better for planes... plus you save so much money with the phoenix sim - i'm pretty happy with it, tho i havent used it in a long time hahaha

man, i gotta stop this habit of babbling BS -lol- Enjoy your plane man, get some vid of the maiden!!!!

btw - look into adding flaps if you can... my trojan can hover in one spot with full flaps down in decent headwind, and i can land it like this - it's friggin awesome!!!!

Oh - and while i'm at it - rcgroups will more than likely have a 1000 page thread on your plane, with craploads of mods you can do - i know they do with the trojan...

#22 ·
Looks cool man =) I really wanted the mustang, but decided against it, as i hate hand launching unless i am on some sort of ledge of at the top of a hill... i find it much easier to take off from the ground - i don't see how or why it's recommended to hand launch for beginners????

I love the parkzone planes, and get yourself a hot glue gun if you dont have one already man - make sure you get the yellow opaque (or stronger) sticks, as the clearer opaque sticks don't hold so well...

What batteries are you using in it man? Keep that thing as light as possible, and you'll be happy - i'm running turnigy 3S 2200mah packs in my trojan, and hey're ok, but have tried my mates hyperion and Thunder Power packs, and they're awesome, but money is an issue - hence my choice for the turnigy packs - they were only $14 at hobbyking - gotta love that!! -lol-

Apparently nitro plane engines are totally different to nitro car/truck engines (only from what i have heard tho) and apparently hold their tune pretty well...

I have the Phoenix sim and that's pretty good - you can even send in pictures of your plane and they will add it in their FREE updates =) But i was told after purchasing it, from the guy at... i forget and can't be bothered looking it up -lol- (i didn't buy the sim from him btw) - some shop in brissy who sells only plane stuff, that the phoenix sim was better for planes than the realflight sim? He said the realflight sim was better for helis and phoenix better for planes... plus you save so much money with the phoenix sim - i'm pretty happy with it, tho i havent used it in a long time hahaha

man, i gotta stop this habit of babbling BS -lol- Enjoy your plane man, get some vid of the maiden!!!!

btw - look into adding flaps if you can... my trojan can hover in one spot with full flaps down in decent headwind, and i can land it like this - it's friggin awesome!!!!

Oh - and while i'm at it - rcgroups will more than likely have a 1000 page thread on your plane, with craploads of mods you can do - i know they do with the trojan...
I have seen my plane up youtube with the landing gear from the Parkzone Corsair. If I struggle with the hand launch then Ill add the landing gear. I think Ill be right with the hand launch but the belly landing might be an issue.

I only have the one lipo for it at the moment. Its a 1300mah, I used to have heaps of different lipos but have sold heaps, so Ill be looking for some new ones soon. Prob keep it to about 1500mah, that should be not too much bigger in size and weight should be pretty close to the 1300mah.

I have a hot glue gun on hand for it and when the worst happens. I was going to buy a spare 1 piece wing for it but didnt want to jinx myself, atleast I know my local has them in stock for a decent affordable price.

Ill have to look into flaps. Prob add the rudder servo befor I do flaps.

I have been using the full version of clearview, was only $40 and has heaps of planes and helis. I cant be stuff flying helis any more as I have flown my fair share, but its fun to fly a heli on the sim everynow and then. Clearview is oka nd they have both of my planes on there that a user has created!

Ill have a look at rcgroups!

Cheers man

Would be cool to see some videos of your trojan! I almost bought one but went the mustang. Was between mine, yours and the corsair.

#24 · (Edited)
Do that landing gear mod for sure man - that video makes me wanna go flying!!! :D "WOW That was cool!!" -lmao-

Yeah man, the belly landing will be fine tho, just make sure it's on grass, or you have some protective tape over the bottom of the fuse if you wanna fly over a hard surface - that z-foam is pretty strong compared to what foamies used to be like =) Oh, and cut the throttle as you come in, or see ya later prop!

ahhh - i forgot, the battery compartment is smaller in the mustang... i can fit a pretty large pack, but weight kinda restircts that anyway - i have 2200mah packs in it now, but it flies better with less weight...

Don't worry about a spare wing... just hot glue the sucker back together and balance it left to right if need be =)

Will try and get some video next time i go flying with someone... i really wanna get one of those Epic Stealth Cams, as they're the most aerodynamic i have seen... i usually fly all by myself either next to Skilled Stadium in Robina, or after work in the carpark across the road at Carrara Markets - nobody can do shiz to me either, as it's the market's carpark which is private property, and i have permission from them hahaha That's one thing you may need to watch for - the public can be a pain in the bum sometimes, but that being said - i've flown in a small park once before, crowded with houses all around, and most people came down to see what the noise was and were pretty interested - they all brought their kids out too see -lol- But sometimes you'll get wanks that will complain to council and then you'll end up with a nice area with new council signs up like this one that i stole -lol-

#25 · (Edited)
I think I might do the landing gear mod, Ill take her out for her first fly when this sh!t Adelaide weather goes away.

Yeah the batt compartment isnt very big, could prob get a 1500 to 1800mah lipo but that would be the max. I htink flight time is meant to be about 10mins with the 1300mah, which is ok with me, ill just have to buy about 4 more batts but not the Parkzone ones as they are about $40.

There is a flying club near me which I might go and suss out. Would be fun but at the same time I dont know if I would like the wholes seriousness of the club members. I just want to have fun with my plane and fly it when and how I wont. The club does have a membership fee which also covers you for insurance incase you hot or hurt somthing or someone or cause a crash when cars a distracted as they drive past.

There are heaps of ovals and parks near me, I just have to be careful as I live near the airport! :)

I like that sign, ill be stealing me one if I ever see one!

Which is the fly cam your talking about? Do you have a link to it?

I am heaps keen to take footage while flying! I have a kodak pocket digital video recorder but it will be too heavy I think for the Mustang.

#26 ·
-lol- i hear you on the club-front man, i havent joined one either for that same reason - they're all so serious about it, and i'm not exactly a stickler for safety hahaha I like to do what i want, where i want, how i want and when i want hehehe

-lol- the planes fly in low near the airport too, man, so yeah, i'd be careful of that - don't want a cop showing up saying they've had complaints of an rc plane in the fliught path - tho it would be cool to see being a passenger!! -lmao-

Here's a link to those Epic cams...
http://www.epicstealthcam.com/index.html

If you hit the "Epic Store" link in the top right hand side, it'll show you the 5 different camera kits they sell... i want the Wide Action kit hahaha They even have a waterproof casing in the 'action' kits :thumb:

#27 · (Edited)
Well tomorrow I am taking the P51 Mustang out for its first flight! I will be filming it for all too see! This could be a good experience or a horrible one. I am nervous as hell to fly my new plane but busting to get it in the air.

Just found this video on youtube, the guy has upgraded the motor. This beast absolutley flies now! ha ha literally. Check it out

#30 ·
Maiden Flight was a DISASTER!

:mad:Well I am back and I wont be posting a video as it all went horribly wrong. Hand launch was a piece of cake. FLying was also going pretty dam well until somthing went wrong! The mustang went into a nose dive but I was unable to pull her back up, there seemed to be no elevator at all.

I dont have much experience with planes but heaps with helis to know somthing was not right!

So I have priced up some spare from model flight, looks like this is going to be an expensive first flight.

I have hot glued it all back together and would take it out for another fly only that the prop is bent and the motor mount is not perfect, would just be a waste of time flying I think!

So there we go....................:mad:

#32 ·
Sorry to hear that mate.

I can relate to it though..........my early flights with my 2 helis resulted in the 450 pruning the gardenia and then hitting the aluminium pillar on my front patio and the 500 hit the dirt full on from only a metre up.

All part of the learning experience given that there's something different about air vs ground RC...........and that's called gravity!

Cheers,

Steve

#33 ·
Sorry to see the maiden flight end so quickly.

how bad is the damage?

Motor repairable?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.