: M-03 losing power while turning.

tdunster
02-06-2010, 04:52 PM
My M-03 is losing a lot of power / speed while turning. :(

Would using universals rather than the stock dog-bone arrangement fix this problem?

Thanks in advance.

lupin
02-06-2010, 04:54 PM
What diff is in it?

Does it only do it at full lock or with any turning?

tdunster
02-06-2010, 05:15 PM
It has the standard diff.

It's worse at full lock but seems to lose the power in a linear fashion.

However, even if I have the car with the wheels off the ground and give it some throttle, the revs drop if I turn the steering.

lupin
02-06-2010, 05:50 PM
There are a few things that can do this. You may have the chassis screws too tight and that can cause things to bind a little. Loosen them all off half a turn and see if its any better.

About the only other thing I can think of is that your just losing battery power when turning. Could be as simple as a pinched wire somewhere. Could even be a slight short in the servo.

tdunster
02-06-2010, 06:15 PM
Thanks Lupin.

I'll loosen the chassis screws and check the servo out.

lupin
02-06-2010, 06:18 PM
Is this a new car, or one you have had for a while?

There could be something getting caught / running in the transmission as well.

Also they do slow slightly when you turn, but I'm guessing your losing quite a lot of speed by the sounds of it.

zoomer
02-06-2010, 06:23 PM
My M-03 is losing a lot of power / speed while turning. :(

Would using universals rather than the stock dog-bone arrangement fix this problem?

we've been racing these things & done 10+ yrs of experimenting;
even built 2 identical cars to racespec where 1 got fully modded and 1 kept stock as 'control'

#1 what tyres are you running?
if kit tyres, they're crap - get some decent rubber, heaps of good mini rubber now

#2 how tight is your track?
you may be traction-rolling (reduce CoG & rideheight, add swaybar/s, extra weights)

#3 is your outside tyre scrubing the guards on the body?

Unis reduce the "chatter" at full lock but that don't slow car down.
There is no laptime difference between uni & dogbone cars.

Gear diff with AW grease vs Ball Diff... zero noticeable difference too.
With good tyres and good setup there will be minimal "diffing out".

We race with Sporttuned or EZYRUN 13T and racespec minis aren't slow;
if you can't go around most corners on full throttle... others will overtake ya :cool:

RatsacK
02-06-2010, 07:07 PM
Haha, my brother's DF02 buggy was doing this. Not sure if it still does it though. Also, for some reason, it went quicker in reverse (even if you changed the motor wires the other way round). So funny to see him driving everywhere in reverse! :p

zoomer
02-06-2010, 07:12 PM
Minis are already FWD & you can drive 'em WOT around the whole track... ;)

bd581
02-06-2010, 07:25 PM
If it's dropping rpm when the car is in the air, I'd be betting it's losing power because of the servo.

On the track they need to be driven smoothly, the slightest slide will scrub of a lot of speed.

tdunster
10-06-2010, 01:19 PM
Thanks for everyones help and advice.

I rebuilt the car and changed the servo and the problem disappeared.

I think I may have had the screws a little too tight as well which was causing some binding.