Australian RC Forums banner

Infos on buying a petrol boat

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  matt_971 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I am looking at buying a 2 stroke boat but I don't know much about them.
The only place where I have seen a few for sale is on Ebay,but there isn't a great deal of choice,only RTR chinese made Vantex.

Are these good boats to start with or should I look and save for something else?
I don't expect the best quality,but being on a budget these seem to be the go.
Is anyone running one of them?

Also,I have read that single hulls are easier to run than catamarans when you don't have any experience.
Will a deep V hull still provide good top speed compared to a cat?
any input will be appreciated.
Cheers,

#2 ·
Ok...

If you want to just have some fun the RTR Chinese boats are great, at the right price.

My limit for one of these boats would be $500 new.

Don't believe the speeds they tell you, they are all full of ????.

The mono's turn very well, a little more unstable than a cat, speeds about the same, my mono didn't have enough speed to have a problem with handling.

In my opinion the new step up in boats would be a Zenoah engine and custom hull then pricing would be from $1500 and up.

Cheers,
Dave

#3 ·
hey mate

I did exactly this. Started with a cheap 2nd hand china boat and had a ball with it.

Now I have a cat with RCMK motor which hammers and costs QUITE ALOT MORE!!!! lol.

But they are a great thing to start out on. I think I have prolly spent close to 2k on my boat now and i dont even have any spares yet lol. So the china boats are def the way to go to see if you enjoy it or not.

Better spending bugger all and then selling it off if u dont like it and also the cheaper boats seem to run ok no matter the setup.

But as far as my cat goes if you have it running 1 degree to wet it is a slug, will nose dive all the time n just not get running well.

Just for your info :D this boat i started with I will be selling soon so if you interested. Will be RTR with a spare prop and driveshaft too. Send me a PM if ya interested.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.