Australian RC Forums banner

HB Ve8

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  horseteeth 
#1 ·
Hi all,

New member here just getting back in to Rc after a few years away. I have become smitten with the HB Ve8, as a good option to get into some 1/8th brushless goodness. Now I have never had a brishless before, just plain old electrics, and a nitro. So am after some help on what to get with the car.

What seems to be the best option for a motor/esc combo? I see mention of the tekin rx8, or Castles Mamba, both seem to be pretty popular, however choosing which model to get has left me with a sore head, I'm not really sure what I should be looking at, the kv rating in particular. After this, there is then batteries which again I am unsure which to go for, so any suggestions on this would be great as well.

Could any members on here post up what they are running as well so I can see some different options?

Cheers

#2 · (Edited)
When i built my Ve8 i had the same dilemma, but in the end I went with tekin and so far had no issues. However, due to lots of rain up here lately it hasn't had much track time so can't personally vouch for their longevity.

there were issues with early tekin gear (as there also was with the castle gear) but thats seems to be sorted out by both manufacturers now. You do have to be clear on the fact though that high voltage brushless setups are still relatively new so you do have to care for them well.

I eneded up with the 1900kV motor, 20 tooth pinion powered by 2 x 2s 5000mah lipo packs. It does give some straight line speed away to the bigger motors on our long main straight but everywhere else its fine. on the flip side it seems to be a smoother, easier to manage power delivery than the bigger motors.

make sure you pick up an alloy steering horn as the plastic one will strip out after only a few races. And you'll need a longer sensor cable as well. The stock one tekin supply won't reach

Build thread is here...

http://www.ausrc.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19619

#5 ·
Seems alot are using the tekin combo so guess I cant go to far wrong. For the sensor wire, is there a aftermarket available, or do you make your own?
being new to brushless at the time I didn;t know if there were any differences in different companies sensor wires. So i emailed tekin support (which has been really good, they answered all my questions quite quickly) and they suggested this one

https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/seekpart.pl?pn=TQR2827

#4 ·
Long and short length Sensor wires are available at most LHS that deal in brushless motor/ESC's, Novak have a couple of varied lengths and there are others available also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.