Australian RC Forums banner

47inch mono hull build

11K views 33 replies 7 participants last post by  matt_971 
#1 ·
decided a little time back that i would like to build a gas rc boat after seeing matt_971 and benckie boats that they are building

my first plans were to build a wood/ply hull and fit a gas engine into that but after thinking about the time and cost to build the hull i thought it maybe easyer to just buy a fibreglass hull and fit it out !!!

for the hull i have decided to go with a 47 inch mono hull

i have ordered one i yellow that i plan to fit a dual rudder strut combo that comes in a horrible anodized green (which i plan to strip the anodized colour off )

for the engine i am still deciding which to use i am thinking ether a zenoha 260pum or a rcmk s254

i have already order a few of the items that will be needed for the build

sofar these include

47 inch mono hull (in yellow )
strut and dual rudder combo
turn fins
water pickups
collet
1/4" flexcable and shaft
exhaust mount
t bar (for the stuffing tube )

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
yeah the hull has stringers fitted 5 inchs apart to suit the engine mounts
it also has a plywood transom fitted aswell to help strengthen the rear of the hull

at this stage i am leaning towards the zenoha 260 as i have read about some problems with the rcmk engines but at this stage i am not 100% sure which one i will go for yet !!

#4 ·
go the rcmk evo, alot of the probs you read about the rcmk,s where the early ones, the evo has most issues sorted out.

i seen on rcu there s a guy from china or japan or some thing like that with a qd 25ht in one of those hulls pulling over 110 kmh :eek: its one of the ruffest things ive seen but shes a goer and sticks it up the high priced yanky hulls

#5 ·
well my plans have changed a little this week i recived a email from the seller of the hull that i bought stating that the hull colour that i have ordered (yellow) is unavailable due to yellow gelcoat being out of stock :(
i have the choice of the following colours white, red, blue, green, black or orange i have desided to pick the black hull or i might go with the white and then paint the hull in my choice of colour with maybe a pearl speck mixed through
i also found out that the sellers factory is closed until the start of march so it looks like i am going to have a nice delay in starting my build :bang::bang:

#7 ·
Is that an R2 Hobbies hull? It looks familliar!

Nice handling boat if it is, the R2 boats are well prepared and finished of nice.

Cheers, Brett. :thumb:

#9 ·
well the dual rudder and strut have arrived today (they are annodized in grey not green as i first said )

looks like it might be a good unit is also has a waterpick up built into it which i didnt know when i bought it that it had a water pickup so now i have a coulpe of spare water pickups that i bought which have also arrived along with my flexcable and prop shaft !!

looks as though my order for the turn fins collet exhaust mount and t bar should be here on monday fingers crossed although the boat is going to be another 2 to maybe 3 weeks away

#22 ·
the boat is going to be another 2 to maybe 3 weeks away
*update*

the hull has finaly left and is being tracked looks like it should arrive by friday fingers crossed !!

got the rudder & strut, exaust braket, collet, tbar and water pickups
prop has arrived also (7015 3 blade)

flexcable is comming with the hull anlong with some water outlets

and i decided to go with a zenoah g260pum as i got a good package deal for one
it came with a zenoah g260 pum, stainless muffled pipe, 105 header, water cooled exaust flange, aluminum velocity stack, Modified Walbro 257 carburetor, Aluminum Water Jacket, Aluminum ignition coil re-locater, aluminum exhaust pipe saver for $560 delivered

now i am just waiting for it all to arrive !!

#11 ·
good work mate.

Just a disclaimer from me. You cant hold me accountable for how much you spend hahaha. It gets outta hand. But is great fun.

Hull looks nice.

As for motor I would have to say the RCMK but that is a bit biased lmao.

Just read my thread about the pull starters though. ARGH...

#13 ·
There is only one way i know to remedy that feeling!

:yield::yield::yield::yield:

Go on, get one! :p

#16 ·
should arrive in approx 4-5 working days

i decided to go for a all orange hull i changed my mind on getting the black hull as i though it may get a little hard to see when its on the water !!

#24 ·
its arrived !!!!!

well its finally arrived

the hull was tracked over the weekend and finally made it to my door today !!!!

after a quick glance over the hull it looks great i think !!!

a little bit disapointed the hull is not all orange as ordered but i have contacted the seller regarding that !!

also the engine package arrived today also minus the muffler :eek: i have also contacted the other seller regarding that aswell just waiting on a reply

not doing to well here to startoff fingers crossed things will get better

anyway a coulpe of quick pictures for you guys and many more will be taken through out the build !!

Attachments

#25 ·
well i spent some time in the garage tonight !!

i ended up fitting the strut and rudder combo on to the transom of the hull which i think looks good :)

i also fitted some o-ring cowl locks onto the hatch

i had a look at the engine mounts that came with the engine package i bought i found out that they suit 5.5inch rails so they wont fit into the 5inch rails installed in my hull which i wasnt all that upset about as i wasnt all that keen on them any way

i remember seeing some billet ones on ebay that looked ok so i might endup getting a set of those

Attachments

#27 ·
well i got a reply back from the seller that i bought the engine package off and all has turn out well

the seller sent the pipe seperate as it was to big for the box he sent the engine in !!

and i can see why it looks like a nice pipe and hopefully it will keep the decibells down low as it is a muffled pipe !!

as for the hull colour not being all orange as i order i came out on top there as well after my email to the seller he went back through his email that i sent him and discovered that i did order the hull to be made in all orange the seller offered me $45 usd back !!

we struck up a deal that suits me fine he can keep his $45 that he offered to refund to me and just send me a set of engine mounts and a pair of servo mounts 1 for a standard servo and 1 for a 1/4 scale servo) that i was planning on buying off him

so all in all the few little hiccups have turned out ok for me !!

Attachments

#30 ·
Looks like orange to me, did you want an orange hull bottom?

#31 ·
yeah i ordered the hull to be all orange !!!

when i opened the box it had a white hull bottom !! like benckie said it will be easyer to fix if i get any daamage to the hull bottom and the white bottom has grown onto me now :thumb:

#33 ·
I know a white bottom boat is easier to see and most boats come that way. I think you would be unhappy with an all orange boat, they just don't look right!

#34 ·
looking very good mate.

Not sure about the twin rudder setup looks weird to me but should work well.

I spewing I have only run the cat once. Was planning to go away over this long weekend but got some bad news so didnt end up going.

Hopefully get away for the Anzac weekend n run it then. Getting a bit cooler though so might be a chilly dip to go get it lol.

Looking forward to seeing yours running mate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.