Australian RC Forums banner

Running in a Nitro boat

4K views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  haydencrosnier 
#1 ·
Is anybody on here willing to write up step to step instructions or know of a website with step to step instructions on running in a water-cooled nitro marine engine, any easy to understand videos would also be appriciated.

Thankyou

#2 ·
use that search function there is a thread here already about that.

#4 ·
the thread i read about it was just like normal really. vary throttle dont run it flat out. wont be able to run as rich as a car coz it will stall on water to much. mine did.

I only ran about 2 tanks through mine and it was fine.

#6 ·
why cant you rig up a water fitting and run them on land to brakes them in like an rc truck or buggy motor ?

twin water line

single water line

plug into garden hose and turn the tap on slowly so you can run water cooled motors onland to tune and test low end, just dont over rev the motor onland and watch out for ther prop.

ive never done this with a nitro motor, but i have ran 26cc petrol water cooled motors onland with no problems

#7 ·
can i just put the boat in a swimming pool to run it in instead of rigging up all of the fittings etc.
sorry if im fustrating with all the questions, im new to boating and just trying research a bit before trying to do anything as i dont want to ruin the thing before i get some good life out of it.

#8 · (Edited)
the boat needs to be moving if its not moving forward at any speed then there is no cooling going thru the cooling system., so your motor wioll over heat and damage will be done.

so unless you boat is small enough or your pool is big enough to drive around at altest 20 kmh ? because just sitting the boat in a pool will not provide any cooling to the motor or exhaust.

this is why water fittings to run from garden hose is such good tool to make life that little easyer and to save some hastle of the first few runs on a opean lake.

one thought take it how you want to, if rigging up some 5 buck water fittings, to make it easyer on your self to lean and run in the motor and tune the low end of your nitro motor so it will iddle and not stall out on you in the lake so you dont have to play fetch is to much trouble, mabe you brougth the wrong rc item, and just running a nitro will be to much trouble.

just a thought ;)

#9 ·
its not a problem, its just we've got a 6 x 3 m pool out the back and thought i might be able to use that but nah ill go with the fittings, so do i just need that single water line, plug it into a hose and plug the other end to the water line of the boat? and do i need a specific single water line for it?

#10 ·
i have not seen your boat, you have not mentioned a brand, so im not sure if you boat has twin water pick ups or single water pick ups, i dont know what size water line it runs.

but if you or your dad or grand father has a old box of retic parts i would raid that and have a look.

also bunnings has a selection of parts your can buy to make up what your need, you just need what ever fitting you find to fit inside your water line from the boat.

some pictures of your boat would realy help, and if this is your first nitro motor i would sugest finding some one with klowlage to help you out

#11 ·
as said. they r pretty much the same as nitro cars buggies etc.

Sorry i cant find that thread anymore either. Pretty sure it was this forum. May have been another.

You wont be able to even run it at all in a pool that size let alone just run it in. I would just use the adaptor benckie has used on his boat and run it for a few tanks pretty rich. vary the speed. dont just hold it.

With my nitro boat i had a old windscreen wiper bottle and pump. I just used that to pump water through the motor. I held the boat in a kids swimming pool (the shell shaped one) just to load the motor up and ran 2 tanks like that. it will chew the fuel very quick coz it should be very rich for run in.

Then after that i leaned mine out so it would run no worries. Wouldnt call it a performance tune but just so it wasnt stalling all the time. Took it to the river n just cruzed around for a few more tanks. lean it out after maybe 5 tanks and slowly take it from there.

Nitro boats are good. I think for the general sporting boater they are to much hassle. A good 2 stroke or even brushless is prolly the way to go. But you have it now so make the most of it.

1 thing to always remember is after run oil in this motor. Being in a very wet environment will allow the motor to absorb all the moisture it wants unless properly maintained. Good luck.

Some pics of your boat would be good too....

#14 ·
You wont be able to even run it at all in a pool that size let alone just run it in. I would just use the adaptor benckie has used on his boat and run it for a few tanks pretty rich. vary the speed. dont just hold it.
I will be running it at lakes and probably on the murray most of the time and yeah it seems the way to go.

1 thing to always remember is after run oil in this motor. Being in a very wet environment will allow the motor to absorb all the moisture it wants unless properly maintained. Good luck.
Are there any brands of after run oil you recommend?

#12 ·
I used to run boats and the way i used is to cut the bottom out of a 2Ltr coke bottle, drill a hole into the cap, screw a fuel nipple into the cap and fit a couple of feet of fuel line to the nipple.
Next remove the intake hose from the engine head and fit the other end of the fuel line from the coke bottle to the engine head water intake.
Now hold the coke bottle above the boat and fill it with water, you will see water comming out of the water outlet from the head.
It helps to have someone to hold the bottle while you tune it or you can make up a stand of some sort.

Note: Make sure you don't run out of water in the coke bottle while the engine is running!

Cheers, Brett. :thumb:

#15 ·
hey mate

where abouts are you from? the murray (Echuca) is my fav spot to head.

As for oil whatever you can get your hands on really. all does the same job. I just used WD40 on mine. After returning home get all the water out you can pull the glow plug out and squirt some in the hole. also some down carby and give it a few pulls with a rag over the glow plug hole. Repeat that a few times to get the WD40 all through the motor. And it will be fine ready for next time. Well mine were atleast lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.