Australian RC Forums banner

HPI Motiv ESC and motor combo

8K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  bew 
#1 ·
hey everyone,

i bought a motiv esc and motor combo for my blitz and as we all know it is just a renamed mamba max esc and motor combo but howerver hpi says that the max you can use with the motiv is 2s lipo but on the mamba max you can use up to 3s lipo so i was just wondering what i should do

thanks,

B-M

#2 ·
The HPI Motiv Flux esc is actually a Castle Sidewinder, not a mamba max.
So with the 5700kv motor you can only use 2s, with a lower KV motor you should be able to run 3s.

#3 · (Edited)
Straight from the castle website: 4600: Up to 3s LiPo 5-12 cell NiMH** 5700: Up to 2s LiPo 5-8 cell NiMH** The standard 5700 on 2s is pretty fast though, try it on the 2s first and see how you like it before investing in a different motor :)

#5 ·
The ESC will handle 3s up to 4600kv, above that you are restricted to 2s, you can run a 3s with the 5700 but you are likely to fry something due to the generated heat and the rpm limitation of the bearings, they are only rated to 60 000rpm, and on 11.1v you will have about 63 000 - 72 000 rpm.

#6 ·
Motiv ESC problem

Hey guys, Im currently trying to sort an issue out with a motiv esc which I believe is a sidewinder knockoff?

Problem is when its turned on the esc does the twiddle beep then beep beep (for 2 cell operation I gather) then it just flashes all lights and does not respond, steering works fine, even changed esc rx wire to the steering (to find if its an rx/tx issue, steering worked on throttle ok) but still nothing, tried holding throttle and switching on ect to go through setup but still flashes and no go, tried moving throttle trim on its cheap RTR tx and switching on but no different.

Im not familular with the castle type systems so not sure what to do next, would the usb link firmware upgrade help?

Any help is appreciated, cheers.

#9 ·
I have the Motiv ESC and this same thing happened to me, I noob'd up and had plugged the esc wire into the rx upside down...
Even when fixed, it still kept doing the all flashing lights thing.

The way that i eventually got it working was to keep repeating the esc startup procedure (the one where you set lipo cutoff). It eventually returned to normal.

But check that plug!

#10 ·
i think i may have had this issue to and i was using a lipo for the first time powering it up. out of frustration i plugged in a nimh and did the startup process in the manual for it and that worked ok. then plugged lipo in, did startup process for that and been all good since. after i did it i plugged in castle link to confirm lipo cutoff had been set ok.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.