Australian RC Forums banner

Wooden RC Boat

5K views 9 replies 2 participants last post by  benckie 
#1 ·
Hey guys.

well this is my other boat i have had for about 10yrs now i think. eeek thats a long time lol.

Well bought it as a nitro boat. Cant remember the guys name but he builds the "rivercraft" woodies.
He built/helped his son build this boat and he got it running then lost interest so i stepped in lol n bought it.

Got it home n could never get the nitro motor running properly. Was lowish on compression so that wouldnt of helped.
It would start n rev no worries. Chuck i it water n off it goes. but just wouldnt rev out. tried TINY props big props lol. Then ended up screwing the tune up so bad i couldnt get it running any longer than 30secs lol.

ANYWAYS it has sat dormant on the shelf for a while n have always thought i shoud convert it to brushless.

WELL i have started finally. using a Novak GTB esc and losi 10.5t motor. I KNOW isnt exactly a boat motor or esc but the gtb is water proof. I have made a alloy water cooling block for the gtb. I tried making the copper tube cooler for motor but looks crap lol so will buy one soon.

A few weeks ago when i was in shed i knocked it off the shelf getting something else and smashed the back of the hull and the shaft tube.

I have cut it out n put new bit of wood in. fixed and reinforced the crack in the side and fixed up prop shaft n area.
Needs some paint now but thats when i finish it.

Still toying up the idea of running a surface prop n strut on it but think i will just get it going as is n see how it goes.

anyways is useless without pics.

The motor in this pic os a old brushed motor i was using just to fit up.

See less See more
#2 ·
this is the repair i done to the back. When it landed from the fall it smashed this bit and broke the deck too. Deck has a few cracks already so that will need some work.

Hope you like. Any suggestions, mods, running gear etc etc most welcome.

Cheers
Matt

#4 ·
that engine maybe a lil bit big for this boat. prolly wont even fit inside it lol.

The whole boat would only be 35 - 40cms long.

Going to make it electric. It was running a .21 notro motor but had enough of nitro atm. just a fun electric/rescue boat for now hehehe.

#6 ·
ok well managed to get the boat going last weekend and confirmed a few things i thought might happen.

The boat ran well. Ended up with a 10.5t 4400kv (ish i think lol) orion motor in it.

Was just using a GTB with custom water cooled heat sink i made up. worked a treat.
Was running on a 2400mah lipo. My GTB is the older one with extra lipo cut off.

I didnt have the lipo cut off working right not sure why but it was cutting out to often so i ended up not using it.

Got it in bits again though. Fixing up a few things. Got a few hints from ppl in the know to settle the boat in the water a bit.

When it was running it was bloody quick for what it is lol.

But it did bounce like all hell. It done it with the nitro motor too.

So now i trying to stop that. Got the gtb running right now so should run till batteries r really flat.

Is getting new paint today so see how it turns up soon.

Cheers
Matt

#7 ·
Well she looks half decent again now fresh lick of paint.

Still got a lot of work to make inside look good. Has some crap paint on inside so have got thin balsa and covered most of it up. Also few mods for more room.

Pics of that when i finish it.

#9 ·
yeah come up well.

Took quite a bit. was a chunk in the side cracked. ended up cuting about 10mm by 50mm strip out n epoxy another bit in back to the inner rib to make it solid again. then quite a bit of time filling and sanding to make it look good.

Got a lot of work inside. Bit if filler i think and should come up like new.

Not even paint stripper will get this paint or whatever it is off so lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.