Australian RC Forums banner

My New toy

4K views 29 replies 5 participants last post by  benckie 
#1 ·
Hey everyone.

Well after all my other gear getting stolen this is the start of my new collection.

Got it off another RC forum you will all know lol from another user ofcourse.

There was a the same boat for sale here. the Flyingfish one.

Anyways bought it off this guy VERY cheap. Got it to me and now the fun begins.

I knew it needed some work. Has bit of damage at front of hull n gel coat crack in bottom. But otherwise seems to be in good knick.

Needs some cleaning up. The sheer pin on rudder is broken. Lots of corrosion between stainless n aloy parts needs some cleaning up.

Got it running yesty just in the back yard. Prop shaft has a HORRIBLE wobble going on. After a bit of inspection seems the flexshaft had NEVER been cleaned. was so clogged up with old grease that resembled mud more lol.

So cleaned that up but the brass bush is buggered in the strut and also the stub shaft is worn badly on one side. so new bush n stub shaft i have to chase down.

Motor seems very strong. good compression and plenty of poke.

Got some more fibreglass today to start bracing some areas and going to waterproof all the wood in the boat.

will get some pics up of progress soon. Missus has camera at work today.

But here r pics from when i bought it.

See less See more
#3 ·
funny u say that.

I have a old balsa boat i have been working on also. I will create another thread about that one later on. But yeah i been think of using this as a recue boat.

Was nitro but converting to elec now. Just gotta think up of a way to hook the bigger boat if it stalls etc.

Not sure when i will run it. When me gear was nicked they took all me controllers too so gotta get a new tx n rx.

Hopefully VERY soon though.

#5 ·
Well found the cable for me phone so here are some pics i took with me phone.

These pics are of the extra fibreglass i laid today. Basically right along the centre front front bulk head all the way to the back. Also put quite a bit of resin around drive shaft so should keep that in without an issue.

When i got the boat the very front bulk head here was out of the boat. So now put back in with glass holding onto it and lots of resin each side of it.

#6 ·
This is the damage done to the front of the boat. I cleaned inside of boat with acetone which leaked out of the crack n peeled a bit of paint you can see. ahh well. will need some filler anyways. Doesnt seem to of broken the glass just the gell coat n resin. I got some resin up under if but couldnt get me arm up with all the other wet resin around before. so will reinforce this bit tonight.

Just a few extra pics of my own from outside of hull. Come up VERY nice with a quick polish. Comes with a lazy dog lol.

#7 ·
OK. last pics are of the motor. Not sure on brand of this motor. Will be some chinese copy i guess. No marking at all on motor that i have found so far but the carby does have huayi on it which from quick google search shows a chinese carby manufacturer.

If any can tell me brand of motor that would be fantastic.

#9 ·
yeah the nose is all fixed. couldnt get me arm up with glass to fix up behind it so just sat boat on its side n used a bit of resin to fix up the area. nice lump of it for the length of the crack now so should hold it right.

Filled in the front now with some bog with plastic additive so give it a sand tonight n should be ok for a touch up.

Not ot worried how it looks at this stage. Will work on cosmetics when i get it going well.

Had motor running yesty with water running through it and seems pretty strong. good revs n plenty of torque so we will see when it hits the water

#10 ·
ok well its about time for updates i think.

Went camping other weekend and had a ball with this boat. no vids unfortunatly. Had a lil accident with my phone and it dont work anymore lol.

Anyways very impressed on how the boat handles etc. Motor was about what i expected. Not that fast but it is just a cheapo motor.

So now i got a RCMK S-254 EVO motor and quite a few other goodies coming for it.

Going away camping again soon so hoping to have it going by then.

THEN i will def get some ore pics and vids of it running.

#12 ·
well more news.

i am getting as bad as your benckie lol.

Got all this in post today. Now just waiting for the rest hehe.

REALLY REALLY looking forward to hear this baby run. Get rid of that el-cheapo angle plug motor for a real motor lol.

Vids when its running hopefully.....

#15 ·
well old motor is out n new one is sitting in there. Still waiting on engine mount to come in but i just seeing how things will fit.

Pipe is going to fit JUST lol. that was my biggest worry. My only concern is how hot the pipe will get.

Benckie how hot does your pipe get?
I got the water cooled header and also water cooled flange between header pipe and the expansion pipe.

The pipe runs VERY close to radio box and looks like it will actually touch the fibreglass on hull. Was thinking on wrapping it with heat proof tape but dunno if it will need it.

Also found i forgot to order a collet for flexshaft. Also need different throttle setup and new throttle cable to suit the new motor.

So paying a visit to a shop again soon. But it'll be worth it :D

#17 ·
Hi Matt

the water cooled pipes still get dam hot, to hot to touch by any means.

i would look into venting the hatch also, that motor will need to breath and you need to get the hot air out of the hatch.

try not to vent the hatch to close to the carb side as they motors dont like sucking in water spray

generaly when venting the hatch you need more outs then in, meaning if you have say 1 vents for air going in, you need 3 to 4 out, im talking about the size ratio of the vents, as you need to be able not just to have cool air coming in you need to be able to suck the hot air out.

a nother rule of thumb is, the more power you put in the more forward you put the engine in the hull.

#18 ·
yeah i have some figures for the CG of the boat now. Just waiting on engine mounts so i can see how it sits.

As for air. My hatch doesnt actually seal atm. No foam around the edges. I will most likely just be running with the hatch off atm. I will see what sort of vents i can get though. Did not think of that.

Prolly wont keep this hull for long. got a feeling this motor is gunna develop some cracks in it lol. See how it goes.

Think i will be wrapping the pipe if they get that warm. gotta see what it actually touches once mounted though. atm i am just sitting engine in n seeing how it looks.

#20 ·
well all me stuff turned up. mount appeared in my letter box and was a parcel sitting at the door when i got home so i was wrapped.

needless to say it was a late night last night hahaha.

had to do a lot amount of work to fit this sucker up.

Started with the engine mount. fitted up nice to motor. BUT not so well to boat. Found a great post on another forum on the centre of gravity of boats and how to set it.

So i played around with that and set it around 30%. Recomended is 28 - 32 % i think depending on power of motor. Will play around with weights in the boat when i go away soon.

New mounting holes had to be drilled. that was quite fun. after getting it lined up 100% and then mark holes. got a right angle drill from bunnings to help the ordeal lol.

then it bolted up fine. new flex shaft went in. didnt trust the old one.

I got a threaded ferule from Hobby Supplies. Well all the parts except mount came from them. Soldered new ferule on. Still havent got my prop yet so havent cut the prop shaft.

New strut was modded to allow use of ferule n square drive shaft. new bushings lead teflon went in.

THEN the fun began. I got a B.Hanson throttle kit for it. Made up a lil custom mount for carby end and that went pretty smooth. drilled out the throttle arm as the motor has a 929 carb on it. soldered end of cable to stop it fraying.

Then the servo end was quite an ordeal. Ended up changing the radio box around to fit it.

Would like to get some new mounts for the throttle servo. Only ones i had were some plastic trays but they will do for time being. is in holding quite hard and doesnt move so.

Bolted motor up, plumbed it and sorted fuel lines out.

Sorted travel out on servo again and was time to do this

#22 ·
matt

what plans do you do you have for the old motor out of the boat ??

let me know if you want to sell it after seeing these boats on here i wouldnt mind building one now !!

i got some plans for a wood hull that i am going to start building next weekend

cheers

#23 ·
haha yeah i was pumped when all the gear was waiting. the tracking number for the engine mount (topsecret boats) said ti was still in the USA but it was in my letterbox :D:D

The motor does sound very good. DAMN LOUD lol. Even with silencer it has a sting to it.

Benckie do QD recommend any sort of run in period.

I have heard the RCMK motors have a harder ring than the normal zenoah motors so takes a bit more to run in. RCMK havent replied about the run in. Dont think his english is to good. Keeps saying the same thing lol.

AUSSIER6ER:
Not sure what i am doing with the motor as yet. Havent given it any thought. may move it on. Where abouts are you from? What plans have you got. I have seen a few floating around the net.

One more thing. Benckie on your boat did your watercooled flange leak into the pipe. gotta pull it off n check. getting a bit of water out the pipe but not sure where from.

Something to play with later on lol.

#24 ·
haha yeah i was pumped when all the gear was waiting. the tracking number for the engine mount (topsecret boats) said ti was still in the USA but it was in my letterbox :D:D

The motor does sound very good. DAMN LOUD lol. Even with silencer it has a sting to it.

Benckie do QD recommend any sort of run in period.

I have heard the RCMK motors have a harder ring than the normal zenoah motors so takes a bit more to run in. RCMK havent replied about the run in. Dont think his english is to good. Keeps saying the same thing lol.

One more thing. Benckie on your boat did your watercooled flange leak into the pipe. gotta pull it off n check. getting a bit of water out the pipe but not sure where from.

Something to play with later on lol.
first class and priority mail tracking numbers hardly ever work, ems and express tracking number work much better.

Qd draw dont recomend any running as the motors are run on a dyno to check every things ok befor they are shipped out, so they are basicly run it, they do say they will get faster over time as they bed in.

i think the rcmk rings taking longer to run is was the older rcmk s254 not the newer evo, i would worry to much and i would treat them like any other gas motor and run them in hower ever you want slow and stead or flog them in.

my bonzi pipe uses to leak a bit of water into the pipe, i had to play around with alingment a tad untill i got it sorted out and it stoped leaking into the pipe.

check to make sure your o-rings in the exhaust coupler are not damaged and installed corectly and make sure the exhaust manifold isnt leaking into the header.

#25 ·
yeah i found the ems tracking was great when i got the motor shipped over. had every step the motor took.

I will try get the pipe off later tonight and see if i can see whats going on.

That was something else i was going to ask. On your bonzi hull i remember seeing you had a flange type thing where your pipe exitted the hull. Is that a bonzi thing or have you fond somewhere in aus that make it. I havent yet.

Would like to get something like that to protect the hull too.

see what i can whip up.

Cheers
Matt

#27 ·
well lads my week away was a blast. Was DYING to get the boat wet but camp had to be setup first lol.

Finally got it down in the water and the thing FLIES compared to last time. And it isnt reving right out coz of tune atm.

Hull handles it well to which I was a lil surprised at. I changed steering servo to hitec too and turns great now. On a dime. Spun it out a few times but nothing major.

Dint roll the boat and tore the cowl off but it only bent the pin so it was all ok.

BUT....

Seems water got into motor during the roll and increased the compression a bit lol.
Trying to start it, the recoil starter stripped. This is the start of my headache.

So i accepted that and ordered another off hobby supplies which got to my dads place the next day. BIG THANKS to Tony Grinter for rushing it to postoffice in exporess bag at 4pm and it arrives the next morning 300kms away.

Anyways boat was going again. Got another tank through it and was going to get vid cam out and run it next to our full size boat.

Went to start it and AGAIN the starter stripped itself. THIS time no water in motor just normal starting.

So i pulled it off again and had a good look at it. Appears the RCMK starter uses crap nylon for the parts and a REALLY crap steel washer to hold it all together.

If you know how the starters work this will make sense lol.

The bit the pops up to engage motor hits the washer. The washer stops it goin to far. Well because of crap washer it was bending out and allowing the pop up bit to go to far off the screw section and slip. When it slips it was rounding the edge of screw section on both the bits and making it slip even more till it jams down because of the rounded egdes.

So the second one only slipped a few times so thought i might be able to rescue it.

OH in the mean time i got the me Baja out n hit a stump smashing the whole pull starter assembly and the pop up bit lol. my fault i accept that as part of RC toys lol.

So i looked at the baja bits and they are the same (just smashed lol) but of MUCH higher quality nylon and a hardened washer. I used the hardened washer in the RCMK starter and put back in boat.

All started and back on the water. For 30secs lol. And this is like as we preparing to line it up beside real 1:1 boat. Then motor STOPS dead. get boat back and the pop up bit in starter didnt pop back in when motor started and melted the assembly lol. So then the rope ended up wrapped around the flywheel and in the process somehow broke the lil bit the pop up[ bit in starter grabs.

Should be able to repair it. Will wait and see.

Anyways so after all that didnt get to run it beside real boat and didnt get any vids of it. So i am spewing.

Have sent off a email to RCMK to see what he has to say.

But to anyone with this motor. CHECK THE PULL STARTS.
My opinion they are DAMN CHEAP AND NASTY. The motor itself seems fantastic. Goes well starts easy enough and idles well etc but start is crap lol.

I could mark the nylon with my finger nail and NO chance of doing that with the one off baja.

Anyways I took 4 RC toys with me. this boat, baja, the lil woody i got and my savage.

This boat well u know what happened there lol.

Baja met a stump in the side and smashed pull starter completly and flywheel too.

Woody boat has some weird problem with motor/ESC combo. It keeps going out in thermal even though neither are even warm. get like 30secs on full throttle then cuts out.

And the savage I put another spur gear on got a cheap plastic one just to get it moving and they mount differently. I couldnt get it to put enough pressure on the slipper pads to grab so that was outta action too lol.

All in all i had a AWESOME time still though. Nice and relaxing eventually lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.