Australian RC Forums banner

Help With Losi Strike

16K views 47 replies 11 participants last post by  geoffcleland 
#1 ·
I have recently purchased a Losi Strike Stadium truck, I have been having a ball with it until a couple of days ago. It started off fine last Friday and going strong until all of a sudden it just cut out and stopped no steering or motor, thinking that the battery (Nimh) was running too low, I changed it for a fully charged one, still no go. I left it sit for about an hour and then it went alright again for a while and then stopped again. I had no time to have a go again until this morning when it wouldn't go at all. On the advice of the hobby shop where I bought it from I rebound the receiver, all of a sudden it cranked up again and was good for a while until it stopped again. I have tried rebinding it again but there are no lights coming on at the esc. It has the stock gear for a Losi Strike (12t 550 motor, Losi esc capable of taking nimh or 2c lipo's and an mrx 3000 Losi receiver). I am going to take it back to the hobby shop tomorrow for them to have a look at, but if anybody could give me a heads up if I am doing something wrong (don't think I am ) so I don't make a fool of myself when I get there.
Cheers
Tony

#2 ·
Problems listed so far on the Losi Forum regarding issues with the Strike.

Trannny case flaw.

Dog Bones.

Turnbuckles.

Idler Gear.

Electronics issues, eg Loss of Bind

Outdrives

Take it back to the store you bought it from.

#5 ·
Problems listed so far on the Losi Forum regarding issues with the Strike.

Trannny case flaw.

Dog Bones.

Turnbuckles.

Idler Gear.

Electronics issues, eg Loss of Bind

Outdrives

Take it back to the store you bought it from.
I just had a look through the Losi Forum and can see they have a few issues to sort out, oh well back to my lhs tomorrow.

#3 ·
I had the same problem with mine... until I put new batteries in the remote. The ones it comes with are not exactly brilliant. Once I did that it's been running fine for about 4 weeks. Until i crashed yesterday and broke a turnbuckle but that was my own fault for trying to jump over my 1:1 ute. Turns out that's a bad idea.

#6 ·
What fittings are on your ESC for connecting to the Battery, I have seen a similar issue just recently, Power was there one minute gone the next and then back again, ended up being the EC3 fitting on the ESC(the Blue one). Issue was resolved after removing the EC3 connector and replaced with a deans plug.

#7 ·
I've been wanting to get one of those spektrum remotes, probably the DX3S or the DX3R if it was a little cheaper. How good a remote are they? I find the remote that came with my BV-1 makes my hand cramp up after a while, not good when you're trying to drift.

#8 ·
The Spektrum Radios are a great unit, if you are on a budget, they have just released a new unit, DX3e, it is a single model set, if you can stretch the budget a little further look at the DX3s, it has 10 model memory and telemetry:thumb:

#14 ·
My theory was blown out when you said Gerard replaced the EC3 fitting with a deans.
Are you checking the temp of the motor and ESC?
Changed the gearing?
Are you doing lots of Start/Stop driving, speed runs?
Are you driving through long/tall grass?
Have you changed the ESC settings into a different mode eg:
mode 1-100% Forward/Brake/Reverse
Mode 2-Forward/Brake w-Reverse Lock out
Mode 3-Training mode
Mode 4-Crawler mode

#16 ·
Geez Towie I thought I was the one asking the questions lol. It turned out that the speedy was on the fritz. The temp on the motor and speedy were checked as I was running it and it wasn't uncomfortable to put my palm on, I haven't changed the gearing, not too much stop start and a few speed runs on the street, no grass driving and the speedy was in mode 1. But its all good, Gerard changed the speedy yesterday and now it is good again.
Thanks for your help
Tony

#23 ·
Trannny case flaw. havent had this yet
Electronics issues, eg Loss of Bind or this binded to dx3s though

these issues losi fixed for me they sent me the parts free from the usa
Dog Bones.
Turnbuckles.
Idler Gear.
Outdrives

other than these issues i find the strike rather nice

#24 ·
I'm the same mate, I love it. I just wonder what these other guys are doing to their cars to get them to crap out so badly, I flog mine and the only thing is the speedy issue but that has been sorted.
cheers
Tony
Trannny case flaw. havent had this yet
Electronics issues, eg Loss of Bind or this binded to dx3s though

these issues losi fixed for me they sent me the parts free from the usa
Dog Bones.
Turnbuckles.
Idler Gear.
Outdrives

other than these issues i find the strike rather nice

#26 ·
I dumped a VXL Brushless 3500kv motor in mine, holy sh!t that makes them scoot along:eek:

#31 ·
Damn you must be 1 of the luckiest Guys in the whole wide world BigBoy not to have problems with a Losi Strike. Nearly 600 post on the Losi Forum regarding the Strike and most are complaints.

So true that I do not have 1. But unlike other people who just buy an RC Car, because its nice and SHINEY, I like to do my research first before I waste my money.

In my opinion, there are better 1/10TH SC Trucks on the market than the Losi Strike.

#32 ·
Man you are like a dog with a bone, let it go. Yes mine is nice and shiny (except for the grazes on the roof from getting upside down), and I did quite a lot of research, the same as I have done for all of my cars and boats and in my opinion it was the best at the time, and so far my decision has been the correct one. Let me know when you find your perfect car. Now if you have no more belittling remarks to share I think it may be time to shut this thread down, it has run its course and I have found the info that I need.

#33 ·
Sorry BigBoy if you think my remarks are belittling, but how in the hell did you conclude from the amount of research that you did on 1/10th SC Trucks, that the Strike was the best advailable at your time of purchase.

Can you please point out the differences from the other 1/10 sc trucks advailable ''at your time of purchase'', that made you conclude that the ''Losi Strike'' was the best value for money.

#38 ·
Just my opinion, but I think everyone has jumped at the market too quickly and tried to grab a slice of the consumer pie, each concentrating on one particular section of the car/truck, with a view to enticing the consumer to swing their way.

Losi has the 2.4g radio gear, mid mount 12t motor, Lipo capable ESC, a well presented truck at a good price, hard not to like it

ae has an all out well balanced truck, with only a 17t 540 motor, I think it should have been a 550, heaps of hop ups out for it, and based off a good platform (T4) means a lot of parts cross over, all up you cant go wrong with this one, it needs a 2.4g radio to complete it

Traxxas have the real life truck to draw attention to the Slash, and the available brushless upgrade also a draw card, but I think they should have redesigned the chassis to end up with a lower centre of gravity, and improve the handling, in my opinion the slash handles like a fat pig, wallowing as it struggles to turn its overly tall chassis.
IMO it was a lazy attempt, at entering the SCT market, while using the Stampede chassis as a base

Hpi, pretty much the last on the block to put the Blitz to the pavement, I really believe that they werent going to follow suit, but when faced with the market hunger for these type of trucks, relented and went with a tried and proven format.
A converted E-Firestorm, 15t brushed motor, and SC-15 ESC are base model parts, but they perform well together, and having the mamba combo as a stock part for the E-FS, means a simple upgrade to make these trucks fly,
as always 27mhz radio gear and stock steering servo has allowed Hpi to land feet first in a volitile market with a very well priced truck.
The Blitz handles extremely well and I have no hesitation in recommending it as one of the best SCT's on the market to date. It has the belted tyres, and performs flawlessly, tough as nails and begs you to try to hurt it, and you just cant.
No doubt parts will wear out and others will break at some point, but in general this it one tough built SCT

While I know there are other SCT's on the market, I doubt too many more will make their way to OZ in a large way, although Traxxas have their 4wd Slash on the way at the moment, I really dont feel that it will make an impact here in OZ. at present we have limited clubs running SCT as a serious race class, which I think will hurt sales of the 4WD versions of these trucks.

I have the SC8e which is 4WD, it is a weapon to drive, but no one runs a class for them here, a real shame in my opinion, as they not only look good, they handle well also,

The above is not a bash on any one company or model, just my opinions and should be read as such. I am sure everyone will have an opinion, so lets get this thread back to the original topic.
Back to you Tony (BBT)sorry to Hi-Jack your thread....the subject is .....Help with Losi Strike.

#40 ·
Yeah your right Ratsack, when I bought my Losi Towie was one of the people I used for my research and on his, and other testimonials I went with the Strike, oh and lets not forget the main reason, because I am new to RC, it is realy, really shiny, that was the main thing that swayed me.

#41 ·
Towie's right about Mr Toys getting a lot of them too, I work there and the Strike's are selling very quick, the only problem I had was when the customer tried to get a refund saying it was a dangerous toy. He gave it to his 3 year old, who took off at full throttle over a jump and into his little sister. The car survived, he got no refund. I bought one of the Strikes myself too and I think it's pretty bloody good.

#42 ·
ok, so my brother in law bought one of these, and he was having a lot of problems getting it to bind. After a few trips to the hobby shop and a few days later the fella at toyworld (i think the losi rep did this 4 him) moved the reciever to the back end of the car cause it couldnt be near the steering servo? make sense to anyone? dunno why but that seemed to fix it

also, we have stripped the idler gear twice now, man is this thing a massive pain to pull apart, are there any hop ups 4 that particular problem?

#45 ·
ok, so my brother in law bought one of these, and he was having a lot of problems getting it to bind. After a few trips to the hobby shop and a few days later the fella at toyworld (i think the losi rep did this 4 him) moved the reciever to the back end of the car cause it couldnt be near the steering servo? make sense to anyone? dunno why but that seemed to fix it

also, we have stripped the idler gear twice now, man is this thing a massive pain to pull apart, are there any hop ups 4 that particular problem?
If this was the Strike that was at Mr Toys Kawana with the problem,it wasn't the Losi Rep who fixed it!There have been several reports of this problem on various forums and this appears to be an easy fix without spending MORE money.My mate and I have had 3 Strikes between us and the problems are too many to list.It is a shame because it should have been a good truck.

#44 ·
yet u could be bothered to type?

so from what else i have read this will fix my problem just wanna double check from someine before i order :p

#46 ·
I bought one ran it twice and then sold it as it was plagued with little problems

All 3 of the supplies spur gears were not round and were warped as well
It wouldn't stay bound to my dx 3 even after moving the rx
The shocks leaked from day one
The diff was bone dry out of the box
The drive shafts were bent out of the box and twisted with the first pull of the throttle
And i broke 2 turn buckles just running up and down the street no jumps (actually snapped at the end of the threads):bang:

And i know of 2 others that the motor has lasted less than 1 battery pack

Maybe these were bad parts or it was made on friday at 4.45pm:D but i thought losi made a good product but this one let the losi team down

So i fixed it all with new parts and sold it in as good as new condition and i also cautioned the new owner to it's possible shortcomings

So sad as i know people with other losi models and they really rate them and have next to no problems

Just my 0.2 cents worth hopefully they have addressed the problems and got it right now

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.