Australian RC Forums banner

Rustler VXL / XL5

4K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Stangas 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

im wondering if anyone can tell me the major difference between the VXL and XL5.

Appart from the obvious motor,esc, servo body and wheels.

What else have they changed?? Gearbox?? Ball bearings in the hubs.

Cheers

#6 ·
nah it was a accident and i dont really care to be honest.

Plus it would be wrong to charge a mate... seriously would be like $100 and im sure i have drunk more then $100 worth of his booze in the last 3 months so its all good.

Just means the wife cant get angry now when i get a new toy, seeing as the old one will be pulled apart for parts (thus why im sticking with traxxas)

#8 ·
Not sure exactly sure what's wrong with the XL5 mate but I would suggest slowly putting hop-ups into it to repair it. I got my VXL not long ago and it was really annoying me breaking all the time but now that it's got a fair few hop ups into it, I don't think it's going to be breaking anytime soon. I took it to the skate park yesterday and came home without breaking anything. I was shocked! :eek:
Once you've done a few hop ups to them, they are a very tuff truck. :thumb:

#9 ·
i ended up getting my hands on the new xl-5 for really cheap a few weeks ago, so i've pulled apart the old one for parts/screws.

I do like the new revo slipper clutch and the addition of hub carriers that can hold ball bearings..

I plan on hopping it up once i get some spare money. All the spare cash at this stage is going into my RC8Te

#15 ·
Maaate... 6.5T is fairly overkill for these machines...

I ran a 10.5T and just could not keep it straight... even tried to loosen the clutch to release some pressure. Donut kings..

If it is one of the slightly older versions, you may need to replace one of the gears inside the gearbox to the steel version.. VXL comes standard with this piece. I destroyed mine with a 16T brushed motor.

Don't forget to recalculate your gearing... don't want to burn up that new motor... mate of mine did that just the other week... soo hot it melted the solder inside the motor and shorted...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.