Australian RC Forums banner

Sharpen and balancing props

8K views 17 replies 4 participants last post by  benckie 
#1 · (Edited)
if any one wants to know places around australia that will sharpen and balence your props for you here you go

#9 ·
Curious to see what you think???

I know nothing about boats and I can imagine the benefits and really keen to see what you think when you run it next.

Good work.

#10 ·
ive set the boat strut and trim tabs back to level with the hull, with the boat set up like this and 1.5 on the high needle setting recomended for run in by bonzi sports i could only do around 65 kmh with 15000 rpm in clame water.

now im thinking if the boat runs faster and the revs are higher the props worked the gps and tiny tack will let me know if the prop is working better or not.

i already know the boat is faster in ruffer water, and im will be using the same set up as i first used when i got the boat, as the boat only got faster when i raised the prop angle and the water condions got ruffer.

but some other things have changed the motor will most likly be less tight as it now has an extra 45 mins on it (3.5 hours total) and i have installed shorter trim tabs but they are the same width.

but what im hoping to see is a gain in rpm witch = a gain in speed so with this set up if i can do better then 65 kmh and 15000 rpm i will be happy and the 20 bucks i spent on some one else doing the prop has payed off

by reading on the net a unbalenced prop is damaging for the boat and will rob the boat of power from vibration and a sharp prop will slice thru the water with less effort and there is alot of pro's and con's for polishing props to help them slide easyer through the water all in witch would, increase rpm witch looks like in most case will increase speed to a point

ill let you know how it goes

#11 ·
Cool, you have a fair bit of Data and no doubt after an hour of testing you will be able to come to a conclusion.

I love doing the R&D on these kinds of things and as long as your previous data is good then it should be easy to know if your money was spent well, in saying that it was only $20.

Looking forward to what you think.

#13 ·
i have noted water conditions, set up changes as well as gps and rpm information and have pictures and video's for refrence

the sharpening and balancer was only 20 bucks but it adds up

prantha s270 prop $50 aud posted from o/s

sharpen and balance $20 aud

postage $16 aud

so this experment to see if i can gain revs and then speed with a smaller prop has come to $86 :eek:

but a good modified shanrpend balnced polshied prop is around the $100 aud mark

#12 ·
I have a go at balancing etc all my own props. Lets just say that I can tell which ones I have done well and others well.. not so well :D
its very noticable on my supervee brushless, so would be interesting how it goes on the gasser. I mainly notice the effects with my roostertails and holeshots :thumb:

#15 ·
Good luck with the speed gains. I think you may be on a winner.

When I had my Searay 200 Select it came out with a 17"3 blade prop & pushed it up around the 86km/h mark with good hole shot for pulling 2 wake boarders. I tried a 19" 4 blade & lost 7 - 8 km/h off the top speed & had poor hole shot. You would have thought with 300hp on tap that it would have been able to spin a larger prop & give better performance but I lost heaps.

#16 ·
that was my first thought a bigger prop, the so called 5 hp zen she will spin it, but im not getting the revs out of the motor, so smaller seams like the go, mind you i have not tuned it yet its still on run in settings.

if i can find the best performance and speed with set up then tune it it should move out :eek:

and doing reading to make rc boats faster its about revs to a point, by changing diamiter and pictch normaly smaller in one or both the motors rev more and make more speed, i could be wrong but thats the impresion i get from all the reading.

but prop angle strut height, trim tabs adjustments, rudder caster and the prop plays a part into it :bang:

#18 ·
i had a quick run witht he new prather S270 prop cause it was smaller and i removed the baffels out of the bonzi quite pipe i wasnt sure so i ritchened up the high end just over 1/8th of a turn out and with every thing set level with the hull it whent well, but only 43.7 mph (70.3 kmh) at 16000 rpm.

so that prop pulled another 1000 rpm with a ritcher carb settings on the high end, i didnt bother playing with the set up and strut i was having to much fun and just drove the boat for 30 mins and had fun.

so it was an improvment in a way but its very close to the max rpm of the power range, later on ill play with the set up some more and see if it will go quicker, just could be bothered today as i was having fun and didnt have the time needed to play around with set up.

im getting a little left to ritch rock again like when i removed the trim tabs so more work is needed with the hull and set up.

43 mph isnt to bad no records but still a fun speed, call me stupid but i think theres more there.

ill post some pictures and another vid in my bonzi thread

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.