Australian RC Forums banner

Info on Fleetwind Grand Banks Schooner?

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  PC WIZ 
#1 ·
I'm looking for some information on a boat my father built many years ago which I have now inherited (along with a few other masterpieces he has built) . I believe it was built for Tea and Spices ship duties and is based on the Grand Banks Schooner design from the mid 1850's.

Dad hand built it from sketches he had given to him and I'm trying to track down some accurate historical information on the ship so any help or leads would be very much appreciated. I have also been told it competed in the "One Hundred Guinea Cup" (later know as the America's Cup) between the 1850's and 1880's but information is very sketchy so far.

These are some photographs I have taken that may help identify it if anyone happens to know about this particular ship.

See less See more
#3 ·
Can't help you with any info but I just wanted to say that is top notch craftsmanship. The attention to detail is awesome. Do you know which timbers were used in its construction? Oh and the diver is my favourite.:thumb:

#9 ·
mate that is utterly incredible. thats one of the most amazing things i have ever seen. the detail is incredible

#10 ·
Thanks for the compliments, I don't think dad realises how great they are. He was even talking about putting them together for a garage sale recently until I told him I have been eyeballing them for decades!

A couple of his ships have been donated to the Queensland Maritime Museum from memory and one was a RC viking ship and it even had hand little teeny weeny hand stitched leather for the roof and working oars (all RC), would have dearly loved to have that in the collection.

I would have given my left testicle to have his skill as a fitter and turner :(

#11 ·
WOW! Crickey! Blow me down, Shiver me timbers!

Lovely work!

That ship is worth a few testicles. :D

Can't help with any info, Sorry! But thanks for the wonderfull treat!

Cheers, Brett. :thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.