Australian RC Forums banner

Seeking a 1:72 Model

8K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  floodprincess 
#1 ·
Good Evening..

I know I've probably left this waay to late but thought I'd give it a go anyway.

I'm seeking a 1:72 scale model boat (preferably of the warship type) to give to my DH as a chrissy present. For as many years as I've known him he's been wanting to get one of these so he can join TaskForce 72; and I've not been in position to surprise him until now.

My only problem is that I've tried numerous internet searches and still come up empty handed (obviously I"m too female atm to find the right words to led to success).

Does anyone know of a hobby shop in the Sydney area which sells these models? They don't have to be pre-built, I'm pretty sure he'll be able to put one together.....

TIA

#3 · (Edited)
I'm not sure if warships/battleships/destroyer class floating metal buckets come in 1:72... I thought it was 1:144 or something smaller...
as a 1:72 tank would be about 2 inches long a 1:72 warship would be a couple of metres long.. ?

Unless.. you're after something which is an actual BOAT, like a patrol boat etc.. vs a SHIP like an aircraft carrier, destoyer, cruiser - things with big guns... (otherwise it'll be like telling a naval officer he's in charge of a dingy vs a battleship - hehe)

HobbyCo would be your best bet, or HobbyLinkJapan... or some similar internet plastic kit store rather than an RC shop... and there's fleabay as well.

#6 · (Edited)
There are many 1:72 model warship kits out there. Revell make a few in particular the Flower Class Corvette, although not designed for RC many people have great results converting them.

Marine Model Magazine International is not too hard to find in the shops and has a lot of ads from RC boat vendors, many will have 1:72 kits, although it's primarily a UK focused magazine.

Places like http://www.westbourne-model.co.uk/ have a wide range of higher end kits and fittings pack (warning they get expensive fast), I'm fairly sure deans marine and Sirmar http://www.sirmarmodelships.com/ have some nice 1:72 models.

Personally I'd suggest you check out http://www.taskforce72.org/ you could probably give one of the organisers a ring and find out what a good model to start with is. However, I suspect you'll find a lot of the members scratch build the models or buy fibre glass hulls and make the rest themselves.

Like most hobbies remember you get what you pay for, there are some bargins out there (i.e. converting revell kits to RC) but the reality is most things are fairly pricey due to the size of the market for this kind of stuff.

#7 ·
1/72 scale warship

i maybe able to help you with ya search....try this person..aps models.....mr allen pew po box 5025 gwandalan nsw 2259 phone /fax 0249725825 hes the 1.72 model maker and distrib. for all warships in australia he sell kits and semi kits and fittings,,mind you hes realy up to his neck at this moment with orders and he is well know through out the world as one off the best model makers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.