: Traxxas Jato or HPI Firestorm?

HRT01
08-12-2008, 07:58 PM
As the title suggests, I'm looking at getting my boy ( well I'll say it's for him ) a nitro for x-mas and those were the 2 he likes. I'm just after a bit of feedback to help with my choice.
I gather it'll be used both on and off road..... Suggestions. Or is there another that I should look at?

Cheers in advance

flibbulator
08-12-2008, 08:27 PM
As the title suggests, I'm looking at getting my boy ( well I'll say it's for him ) a nitro for x-mas and those were the 2 he likes. I'm just after a bit of feedback to help with my choice.
I gather it'll be used both on and off road..... Suggestions!!

Cheers in advance

Just a couple of quick question to help us point you in the right direction...

1. His age?
2. Any past experience with RC and if so what?
3. Purely recreational use or is there the possibility of attending an organised club?

HRT01
08-12-2008, 08:41 PM
Ok.... he's 14 and had a mess around with mates T-Maxx and so forth. He has had a couple of electrics but pretty basic type things eg: Tamiya Super Hornet. At this stage it would be recreational, but who knows. He's always been pretty good at controlling anything with wheels, but the more I read the less I'm leaning towards the Traxxas.

Thanks again

flibbulator
08-12-2008, 09:03 PM
Both vehicles being 2wd are a bit of a handful even for an experienced 4wd driver so they can leave people feeling a little frustrated and ultimately they spend more time on the shelf then for their intended use.

The Firestorm will be definitely be more competitive on the track (have owned and raced both). The Jato is damn fast with a .20 engine and has a swag of aftermarket shiny bits available from both Traxxas and third party manufactures but the TRX 3.3 motor whilst a high performer pays for it in reliability so I personally would recommend the Firestorm based on the possibility of it making it to the track and the motor proving more reliable and managable.

As a side note I think www.rchobbies.com.au have the Jato for $499 but the T-Maxx is on special for $100 more at $599 so may be worth considering it if the budget allows. He could share a common spare parts pool with his mate, puts them on an even playing field etc...

AUSRC
08-12-2008, 09:19 PM
Excellent advice Flibs.

MY_LST
09-12-2008, 06:52 PM
It is also a good idea to buy something you can readily get parts for because he will break something no matter what you buy.

where are you located so we may be able to suggest some good LHS for you.

HRT01
09-12-2008, 07:47 PM
I'm in Launceston Tas and from what I understand there is only really one shop in town that sells / repairs them. I'm currently trying to convince my son to get a 4wd eg: Tmax or similar going by the advice given so far.So any advice on what 4wd trucks to be looking at would also be great. From what I gather the shop in town sells both Traxxas and HPI.
Also the budget will go to around the $600 mark if this helps.

stevoo
09-12-2008, 08:29 PM
Both vehicles being 2wd are a bit of a handful even for an experienced 4wd driver so they can leave people feeling a little frustrated and ultimately they spend more time on the shelf then for their intended use.

The Firestorm will be definitely be more competitive on the track (have owned and raced both). The Jato is damn fast with a .20 engine and has a swag of aftermarket shiny bits available from both Traxxas and third party manufactures but the TRX 3.3 motor whilst a high performer pays for it in reliability so I personally would recommend the Firestorm based on the possibility of it making it to the track and the motor proving more reliable and managable.

As a side note I think www.rchobbies.com.au (http://www.rchobbies.com.au) have the Jato for $499 but the T-Maxx is on special for $100 more at $599 so may be worth considering it if the budget allows. He could share a common spare parts pool with his mate, puts them on an even playing field etc...

What AUSRC is all about - good advise. Nice work Mr F.

Phoenix76
10-12-2008, 09:20 AM
Small world, i'm in launnie as well.

Birchalls and Tiger models both do traxxas I believe. With a budget like that i'd recommend a savage, but traxxas are making some great vehicles at the moment.

Online shops like rchobbies are more often than not cheaper than the local stores for many items anyway.

Ush
22-01-2009, 05:34 PM
I'd also add one plus for 4wd over 2wd.
I've owned both and started with 2wd (13 years ago), when they are low powered, not highly fast things they are easy to control and lots of fun (what kid doesn't love droppin helis?) But once you start getting power on in 2wd they become quite difficult to handle, and take alot of concentration to handle well. Doing helis are fun, but when you continually do them trying to turn, it starts to be a **** off.... Atleast 4wd you can be quick and turn too.

I've got a video on youtube of 2 nitro firestorms that have just finished run in period and driven by blokes with almost 20years of r/c experience and you can see how they move around on a loose surface that i can post the URL if you want?

Luke

SIKKO_X2
25-01-2009, 09:49 PM
i have a savage, revo, rs4, jato and im getting a brushless e revo soon.
i would have to recommend a savage or revo. the jato is mainly a gimmick. it has massive top end speed which is its main selling point. the trx 3.3 engines are unbelievably unreliable and the cars are too hard to control when not going in a straight line.

the savage is a beauty. when tuned properly it does wheelies and can do huge jumps without breaking much. the only thing i have broken on my savage was a diff and 2 pull starts. the diff broke the first time i took it out so i assume it was a bad diff to begin with, but i bought another for $20 and havnt had any problems.
i can go off huge jumps without breaking anything.

the revo is great fun. its half way between a truggy and monster truck, which i like because you can bash it, but it handles great. i have mine tuned well so it does wheelies.

it all depends on your budget, and for $600 i recommend a revo, but if you can find a good savage for $600 then i recommend that too
hope that helps
cheers

ash91
01-02-2009, 02:19 PM
I have an E Firestorm, And wanting to buy a FIRESTORM nitro, any good? is it worth it?

BradZ_09
05-02-2009, 01:43 PM
Have you considered a HPI Savage?? Very tough

ash91
05-02-2009, 02:07 PM
800$:( for the XL

SIKKO_X2
05-02-2009, 07:49 PM
i recommend the savage x.
when the dollar was good i got a savage xss and a 3 speed tranny for $530aud from the US including postage.
the few things i HATE about the savage are
-high centre of gravity
-heavy
-absolute bitch to work on

but they are a great truck

ash91
05-02-2009, 07:57 PM
lol dno might stay with the firestorm battery seems easier. less work

Maxbomb
26-06-2009, 11:00 PM
if this is still on the Jato/firestorm topic. i'd go for a SECOND hand jato roller. having owned one u dont wont a new one which comnes with that flimsy 3.3 motor. just get a roller and drop in a lovely OS of some sought. Its the best stadium truck out there and being traxxas tht brad speaks for it self....

boogernissan
27-06-2009, 10:54 AM
id have to agrre with most comments about the jato,it is definatly a handful,it does get frustrating when you want to use it ona bmx track or such cos it has so much torque,it went really well in the sand dunes but hey...that gets boring after a while,

definatly a tough truck and i found the 3.3 to be reasonably reliable

on another note i have a jato at the moment which i want to get rid of
pm me if your interested,it has a few spares and also has rpm front and rear arms and rpm bumper,3racing alloy shocks etc

cheers