Australian RC Forums banner

So I have a RC Yacht... :)

6K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  cdis 
#1 ·
So yesterday I was about to fly one of my RC planes at field/park I normally fly at when this old lady rolls up in her car, bails out and starts yelling and gesticulating wildly at me. I was thinking "Oh crap, I'm going to get yelled at for flying here"...

Anyway, long story short, she was just excited to see someone with a Remote Controlled anything. Her brother in law had died a few months previous, and she had his 2 RC yachts sitting at her place since then - She just wanted them to go to somebody who was into RC.

So, now I have a 2 yachts, one is a fairly small one, I'd say the hull is about 700-800mm long, and the other is HUGE. I'd say its about 1m long, and has a mast and sails. The smaller one is hull only, no mast or sails. The big one's sails are in tact, but all the rigging is a mess. There are servos mounted in the big one, a std size one for the rudder and a big servo, which I would imagine would have something to do with the main sail.

I now need a crash course in RC yachts lol. Mainly, I need to find some diagrams or instructions on how to do rigging etc. I would imagine that I need to buy some supplies for it, ie ropes, hooks etc, so are there any shops in Brisbane that do yachting stuff?

I'll take some photos when I get home tonight and put em up.

Thanks all
-Sid

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi Sid,

How lucky is that......I'm jealous as,so she gave them to you for nothing?
You lucky B#%&%@&d.......

RC Wharehouse at Springwood does yachts...so they may have what you need. do they need much work ? Is all the servo's & transmitter with it ?
Do you want to trade or swap ? i have a hoped up savage...maybe we could talk.

Scott

#5 ·
Too big for the mantlepiece man. Just took some pics of the big one, see below. I totally forgot about the smaller one, will take a photo of it tomorrow. I haven't checked the servos yet, but they appear to be intact, and the cables all look ok. I think there's even a receiver in the bottom.

The hull and sails appear to be intact, as well as the masts. The horizontal stick bits (booms I think, you'll have to forgive my awesome unlearned boat speak terminology) are ok but the front one looks a little bent. The rigging was a total mess. I untangled what I could, but yea I think it needs to be done again. The lady said that she had them stored in her car port during that huge storm that hit the gap a couple of weeks ago, so that would explain the crazy mess of ropes that I untangled.

#7 ·
Yea, I don't know that I'd want to race right now, more just plop it in the water and hoon around.

It's just like racing anything lol. Was looking at a few sail boat forums and shops - $1000 sails, $2500 carbon fiber hulls etc.

Scottb, I don't know that I'd want to get rid if it just yet, as I just got it :)

So do any of you guys do this already?
I called up a boat place @ Carindale yesterday. They will call me back with a time that I can take the boat out and let em check it out and see if its worth fixing up (which I think it is), and how much it'd cost. I'd just like to have a little better idea of whta I'm talking about before I get there lol.

#12 ·
Well, after much sanding and scraping effort, I've given her a new coat of paint on the top deck, and she looks much better.

The servo wires on both servos were frayed and on the big 1/4 scale servo they had actually been cut and then the naked ends twisted back together lol. Needless to say that I replaced the servo cables.

The previous owner had obviously got the ****s with the boat at some point and had broken pieces of the deck away up to to get into the servo area. Almost all of the offending pieces of deck were in the bottom of the servo area so I glued em back, so only 1 small bit is missing out of the square hole for the electronics.

The side stays were also missing, so I fashioned my own with some fishing hooks and pink bricklayers string :D. It's very colourful now hehe. Sails are in one peace, but need a bit of tweeking to get them holding air properly.

All that said, I took her for her maiden voyage in a mate's pool this afteroon. She was hooning around the pool in relatively light breeze. The hull is totally waterproof (except for the radio box hole lol) which I am very pleased with. It holds course ok, and even tho the sails were way out of trim and the Jib sail wasn't even opening fully, she was pretty quick over the water.

I'll take some photos once I find out where my camera is hiding lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.