: LRP S8BX with JR XS-3 - Comments?

Rnegade
23-11-2008, 03:23 PM
Hello Everyone,

As you are probably noticing i have a LRP S8BX 'RTR' 1/8" Buggy. I plan on hopping it up a bit, its mainly used for bashing but racing might not be out of the question once i get a bit better and learn abou the setup more. Anyway, a quick and direction question.

I am looking at replacing my Controller that came with the car, the throttle servo glitches like a bitch and i have already replaced the steering servo after it didnt even last 4 tanks of fuel :(.

Anyway, this is what i am considering. Its within my price range but as its all pretty new to me, i would like some feedback. Thanks.

I will be buying from these guys probably as they are pretty close to me and prices seem good. I am OPEN TO IDEAs, but i need to know what I am looking at.
http://www.modelflight.com.au/rc_model_radio_control/jr_propo_xs-3_rc_control.htm

http://www.modelflight.com.au/pics/XS3GPD.jpg

Current Steering servo (happy to keep up front unless I can be convinced otherwise) is labelled as a Habao H-102 (after some googling i found its a "Futaba S3305, Analog, 124 oz-in (8.9 kg-cm)
0.20 sec". Its doing the job.

So i was basically thinking of getting the JR XS-3 and perhaps using its steering servo as a throttle servo or an i WAYYY of the mark???

Am I better off keeping the stock controller and just getting another throttle servo perhaps?

Thanks Guys.

chimera92
23-11-2008, 03:43 PM
hey mate.

JR XS3 is a great fm radio, is pretty much exactly like the spektrum dx3.0 without the dsm.

as far as servos go you will be better off upgrading them both anyway as the h102 servos arent very good, mine both sh4t themselves, get something like the hitec 645mg which are about $30-50 each and are faster/stronger than the stockies, or get one 645 for the throttle and put the h102 servo on the throttle.

Rnegade
23-11-2008, 03:47 PM
as far as servos go you will be better off upgrading them both anyway... /snip

OH, OK. Thanks. I am happy to keep the H-102 for perhaps throttle and get a better servo for steering. I dont mind spending the money on a decent server, upto $100 perhaps. I guess a budget of $300 for the Controller and a new server would be good then???

chimera92
23-11-2008, 03:56 PM
if you've got about $100 for the servo go with an ace ds1015 i think it is, digital servo and one of the best on the market, get yourself a good hump receiver pack (1600+mah) and you should find the xs3 on ebay for less than $200.

Stoogey
23-11-2008, 04:14 PM
With a budget of $300, grab yourself an Airtronics/Sanwa MX3 FHSS 2.4ghz radio mate.

Rnegade
23-11-2008, 04:42 PM
With a budget of $300, grab yourself an Airtronics/Sanwa MX3 FHSS 2.4ghz radio mate.

Hmmm. Any reason particular and best place you would recommend??? I did a quick google, foud this - http://www.wrightflight.com.au/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=136&category_id=69&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

Stoogey
23-11-2008, 05:15 PM
Its a great basic 2.4ghz radio mate, very easy to use, nice and comfy in the hands, and more than enough features than you will ever need. And 2.4ghz means you will never need to worry about frequency clashes and crystals again.

And also, i used one myself, if you consider my advice worthy :D

Rnegade
23-11-2008, 06:07 PM
Its a great basic 2.4ghz radio mate, very easy to use, nice and comfy in the hands, and more than enough features than you will ever need. And 2.4ghz means you will never need to worry about frequency clashes and crystals again.

And also, i used one myself, if you consider my advice worthy :D

OK, sounds good to me. 1 more silly question... being a noob at and all.

Do Digital / Anolog servo's require different controllers and such? I am probably going to throw the H-102 onto my throttle and would like a decent steering servo. I want to order it all from the same place if possible.

Rnegade
23-11-2008, 10:30 PM
Anyone else got any feedback??? I have just been splurging online and REALLY held myself back regarding a new controller. I am heading into Modelflight tomorrow morning so I am not sure if I will walk out with a new controller or not. I probably dont NEED it, but i like the idea of the no Crystals and hopefully helping me control this Buggy.

Here is whats coming my way hopefully early this week :D

Thanks to Frontline:
1x LRP 1/8 Comp Spec.2 Exhaust System - The stock one broke, and this si the perfect replacement! Cant wait to have the exhaust tippet back on there to help with the tuning / presure and noise ;)
1x LRP HEX WHEEL ADAPTOR (BLUE) (2PCS) - S8 BX TEAM - Gotta have spares :thumb:
2x HITEC SERVO ULTRA TORQUE 8KG DUAL BB ALL METAL GEARS (See how these go for now) :)

And thanks to RC Hobbies:
2 x Pro-Line 1/8 Badlands Tire (2) (902100)
2 x HoBao 1/8 Y Spoke Wheels Grey (2) (87500G) - For the Badlands!!!
2 x Hobao 5 spoke wheels black (2) 1/8 buggy (87095B) (Going to put some road rubber em down the track perhaps)

Rnegade
24-11-2008, 09:53 PM
OK, so today i paid a visit to ModelFlight and couldnt help myself... I got the JR XS3 :). Went to a local part, fitted it all up, got it running (kept the H-102 server in there for now for steering and used one fo the supplied units for throttle), was going good. Also fitted the temp exhaust that was on the shelf (while i wait for the LRP Hopup item to arrive)... and then started tuning it again...

... 5mins later the Pull Start broke!!! NOT HAPPY. took it home, eventually got that sorted, then went to try again after tea and this time the pull start cord snapped from the middle of the drim... Even MORE un happy. So tomorrow I think I will try to find a starter box for it.