: My Accidental 1/5

Low_rb
27-09-2008, 03:54 PM
Well i wandered into my LHS today to see if they had a cheap motor for my hyper so i could use it on the last few days ive got off and a guy was in there trying to sell them his FG MT.

After the usual chat and stuff i got his number and gave him a call a bit later after the Minister of War somehow agreed to it,gave him a call back and brought it.:)

the only real thing wrong with it is the front bulkhead that the hinge pin for the front RHS arm is broken(well positioned cable tie fix) and the brakes need a little attention,radio is a 2PL and 3000mha reciver pack and i got a few spare gears etc. Runs pretty good but it needs a good tune.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y22/lowrb/DSCF0002.jpg

xr8ute
27-09-2008, 03:56 PM
Well done mate, you'll have some fun now !!!

allanach
27-09-2008, 03:57 PM
Good buy brother...... welcome to the dark side:D

Something tells me you won't need a new deisel for the little car now that you have the FG:thumb:

Have you driven it yet?

Low_rb
27-09-2008, 04:11 PM
Yeah i gave it a little spin but the batts in the Tx got to low and kicked the fail safe in and thats how i know the brakes need attention...lol

what do you guys think its worth? dont wanna say incase i ripped myself off,which would not be good.

stevoo
27-09-2008, 06:31 PM
Well done on the scoop buy. Always gives you a good feeling when you are in the right place at the right time. Looks like a nice clean looked after car.

What is wrong with the hinge pin - is it just missing the c clip?

The standard FG brakes are crap but they can work well enough to use the car without a problem.

If you want to come for a 1/5 bash tomorrow we are having one at Eight Mile Plains. There is one other guy from this forum that runs his FG MT and another couple of FG's amongst alot of Baja's. https://www.ausrc.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13657

Kris from Daniels Pitstop will be there so if you see something you need for your new truck and you can get in contact with him tonight you could have it tomorrow.

If you paid less than $1500 you should be sweet.

Low_rb
27-09-2008, 07:07 PM
Looked after as in not flogged -yes
looked after as in maint etc - gotta say not realy as far as i can tell, more so through lack of knowledge i think.

The hole for the hinge pin is broken. Front axle mount A im pretty sure it is cant find a english manual so im just guessing from what ive googled so far and i need those plastic c clips that go over the pin as well. Found some other little things but there nothing you wouldnt expect with second hand gear.

Less than $1500 you say, well i spose i done alright then for $650:thumb:

mike
27-09-2008, 07:36 PM
$650 is steal:D Wack some outerwears on the pullstart and air filter before its too late and enjoy.

Low_rb
27-09-2008, 07:48 PM
$650 is steal:D Wack some outerwears on the pullstart.

Sweet:) and what are outerwears?

damstachizz
27-09-2008, 08:08 PM
$650 is steal:D Wack some outerwears on the pullstart.

Sweet:) and what are outerwears?
Pre-Filters.
help to keep thicker dirt/mud from getting to the filter ;)

stevoo
27-09-2008, 09:28 PM
You got a bargain at $650, cant loose on that one. Outerwares are a good idea.

stevo1957
28-09-2008, 08:03 AM
Mate,

Welcome to the large scale addiction.

If you only paid $650, you got a bargain.

Cheers,

Steve

allanach
28-09-2008, 08:21 AM
$650 what a freekin bargain.......:lock1:

You should be feeling guilty IMO.

Well done.

stevo1957
28-09-2008, 08:27 AM
Let's hope it wasn't a steal...literally!
Did the guy in the shop have dark clothes and glasses on, and keep looking away from the camera? ;)

Nah - just kidding. You were lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time.

Cheers,

Steve

Low_rb
28-09-2008, 10:41 AM
Buy your reply's i sure was lucky:).

The LHS guy done all the hard work for me. Hes pretty good,but as far as i can tell has less knowledge in 1/5 than me and told the guy any thing over $600 would be a pretty good price. Im surprised that you guys have said it was that good as i hadent done much research on the 1/5's, my hunch payed off in this case:D

Gotta replace the servos though. T/B one just died for no reason($10 one in there now) and the steering one is clicking wich i can put down to the EPA not being set properly. A new servo saver post but i think i have a smallenough tap somewhere so i can fix that pretty easy.

Need some advice on the brakes though,stocko's are shagged so whats a good priced cable set up?Ill only do the rear to start with just so i can get it to stop.

The bloke realy had NFI his fuel/oil ratio was "i just poured a heap of oil in" and he did going buy the ammount of build up on the plug.

allanach
28-09-2008, 11:05 AM
Hey Low, check here http://www.danielspitstop.com.au/menu.aspx?mc=24

Right at the top are front brakes and you should also find the other parts to get the rear discs working again.

Low_rb
28-09-2008, 11:37 AM
Hey Low, check here http://www.danielspitstop.com.au/menu.aspx?mc=24

Right at the top are front brakes and you should also find the other parts to get the rear discs working again.

Cheers, The stocko's probaly arent that bad i just have high standards when it comes to brakes.

monster
28-09-2008, 12:22 PM
looked after as in maint etc - gotta say not realy as far as i can tell, more so through lack of knowledge i think.

The hole for the hinge pin is broken. Front axle mount A im pretty sure it is cant find a english manual so im just guessing from what ive googled so far and i need those plastic c clips that go over the pin as well. Found some other little things but there nothing you wouldnt expect with second hand gear.

Less than $1500 you say, well i spose i done alright then for $650

Mate, you can't do better than that. Maybe that's why the minister of war gave you the go ahead coz she knew how much they worth:D

Bloody good buy mate...............well done:thumb:

Oh and welcome to the Dark side:cool:

MarkBaja
28-09-2008, 12:39 PM
Hey good one monster, when I buy stuff`for my car/PC/Camera my wife goes "that sounds good" and I buy it.

Do they just know hese things, or they probably look through your history on Firefox and do research themselves!

Creepy:eek:

Low_rb
28-09-2008, 06:48 PM
Hey good one monster, when I buy stuff`for my car/PC/Camera my wife goes "that sounds good" and I buy it.

Do they just know hese things, or they probably look through your history on Firefox and do research themselves!

Creepy:eek:
Mine does this at time but its not for R/C parts:)

Has some one the parts list thay could email me or a link where i could find it in english? The only ones i can find are in german.

monster
28-09-2008, 08:58 PM

Creepy

Mate, when you buy parts for PC tell her something very technical and she will tell you "well if its important buy it". Trust me, it works all the time:D Oh and setup your Firefox to clear the history every time you exit from it:thumb:

[quote=MarkEB4;188287]Mine does this at time but its not for R/C parts

Has some one the parts list thay could email me or a link where i could find it in english? The only ones i can find are in german.

I buy all my parts from Daniel's Pit Stop (http://www.danielspitstop.com.au/menu.aspx?mc=18), nowhere else:cool:

Low_rb
28-09-2008, 09:50 PM
I buy all my parts from Daniel's Pit Stop (http://www.danielspitstop.com.au/menu.aspx?mc=18), nowhere else:cool:

Ive downloaded the plans he has,but i want the list so if im after somthing and theses no pic i know what its called and save a bit of time emailing or posting q's etc

monster
28-09-2008, 10:04 PM
Allanach will be able to help you out, he owns a bada$$ FG MT as well:thumb:

Rexzilla
28-09-2008, 10:26 PM
Mate welcome to the FG club, great to see another 1/5 MT on the forum :clap2::clap2:

mike
28-09-2008, 11:07 PM

Need some advice on the brakes though,stocko's are shagged so whats a good priced cable set up?Ill only do the rear to start with just so i can get it to stop.

Elcon have developed and patented an air operated brake system that will be the ducks guts:D You will need some serious coin for it tho:)
Initially being released to suit there cleon then FG version will come later.

Low_rb
28-09-2008, 11:41 PM

Elcon have developed and patented an air operated brake system that will be the ducks guts:D You will need some serious coin for it tho:)
Initially being released to suit there cleon then FG version will come later.

Air brakes, that would be cool,but way to Bling'y for my needs.
I found the problem with the brakes, the grub screw that holds the square block is gone,though it was part of the shaft which is why i diddnt pick it up before.

Rexzilla - Thanks for the manual:thumb:

Rexzilla
28-09-2008, 11:53 PM
No worries mate, let me know if you need any more info

jasrx
29-09-2008, 04:53 AM
cool another FG `er :) give me a yell if u need any standard parts as i have a few here , most brandnew gathering dust [ from when i started moding mine as soon as i brought it ] .

mike
29-09-2008, 09:26 AM
If you need any FG parts these guys are the place to go since your in QLD,
http://www.chequeredflagracing.com.au/
they are the Australian FG importers so will have everything you could possibly need as far as standard replacement parts.
For bling have a look at the Elcon range of alloy upgrades http://powerslideracing.com.au/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=10_11
There generally cheaper than the FG alloy.

Haydrick
29-09-2008, 09:47 AM
wow $650!!!! that's a very very good price!!!

Low_rb
29-09-2008, 01:45 PM
jasrx - Cheers,ill keep you in mind

Im going to leave the Bling for now until i get it all sorted and learn to drive it

5Tom
30-09-2008, 04:14 PM
well done on the purchase!

The money you saved could now go towards a modded motor, exhaust and outerwares covers :)

Dudez
30-09-2008, 04:48 PM
A set of tyres itself almost $300 new and yours is still new! good buy! Now clean it and it will look like a $1600 car!

Did it come with the body?

Low_rb
30-09-2008, 06:12 PM
well done on the purchase!

The money you saved could now go towards a modded motor, exhaust and outerwares covers :)

The motor is last on the to do list,going to sort the rest before i go for power.

It came with a body and ive peeled all the crappy FG stickers off so it looks heaps better now

5Tom
30-09-2008, 09:31 PM
In that case, before power mods you should start on the drive train, brakes and suspension. I recommend the Cat5 steel pinion/spur combo as I used the 16t/48t setup then to a 18t/46t setup. Teeth are still in exelent condition after alot of off-road abuse.

Drivetrain wise, I really recommend the Elcon drivetrain if your willing to replace your entire rear end of your truck. Cost me quite alot of coin and heart ache however the end result is a perfect, rock solid gear mesh and a drive train that also acts as an engine mount so your mesh will never get out of align. The layshafts are very easy to change over with this setup.

Im not too knowlageable on the suspension since im still using the stock setup which leaves the truck bouncing around alot. If you can soften it, it should do wonders.

I cant remember if your running the stock exhaust pipe but be wary of the dominator pipes. In most cases, they don't quite fit around the roll cage and require some holes to be bored out to suit. Apart from this issue, the dominator pipes are very good :)

gsx1100g
30-09-2008, 09:54 PM
$650 you are a lucky, still to see mine run

Freddie
30-09-2008, 10:33 PM
If you are in QLD, then there is no other choice than Kris at Daniel's Pit Stop. Anything you want, and anything he doesn't have, he will get for you. :D

Check out the Brisbane Bash threads and come meet some members. Not all of us run Bajas out there so you won't be the only one and we are all in it for fun anyway.

Hope to see you out there! :p

allanach
30-09-2008, 11:02 PM
If you are in QLD, then there is no other choice than Kris at Daniel's Pit Stop. Anything you want, and anything he doesn't have, he will get for you. :D

Hope to see you out there!

That's right Freddie but no matter where you are you can always go to Danielspitstop.

98% of this rig came from DPS
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o268/allanach/mtf5.jpg

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o268/allanach/sizematters1.jpg

This is an old photo my wife took.
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o268/allanach/FGfrontonwheelie.jpg

low&slow2
01-10-2008, 11:58 AM
You sure have one mean rig Allanach, can't wait to see these trucks ripping it at Stockton.

main_event
01-10-2008, 12:17 PM
Wow, if you wanna sell it, you know I wanna buy it at that price!

Less than $1500 you say, well i spose i done alright then for $650:thumb:

Low_rb
01-10-2008, 07:32 PM
Allanach those pics are just to show off arent they:D it its a realy nice machine though.

I ordred some stuff from DPS lastnight and that will be waiting for me when i get back from work.

Can someone give me the rough dimensions or the radio tray so i can get some Alloy plate,Also does anyone know the thread size and pitch of the Tie rods? I was tobusy before i came back to work to remove one and measure the plate up.

allanach
01-10-2008, 09:24 PM
Allanach those pics are just to show off arent they:D it its a realy nice machine though.

I ordred some stuff from DPS lastnight and that will be waiting for me when i get back from work.

Can someone give me the rough dimensions or the radio tray so i can get some Alloy plate,Also does anyone know the thread size and pitch of the Tie rods? I was tobusy before i came back to work to remove one and measure the plate up.

Thanks LB...... and yes:cool:

In regards to your radio tray you could always wait about a week (something new is comming out:eek:).

or

You could use 3mm plate minimum.

Low_rb
01-10-2008, 10:51 PM
Thought so..lol

I know what thickness but i can get offcuts for free while im away at work and just forgot to get some rough dimensions so i could grab a few bits

Low_rb
21-10-2008, 08:33 PM
In regards to your radio tray you could always wait about a week (something new is comming out:eek:

Yep, i was lucky to get my hands on one of the test ones that were done up. Had to drill a couple holes for the on/off screws but that aside its sweet.