Australian RC Forums banner

savage help

4K views 37 replies 9 participants last post by  SIKKO_X2 
#1 ·
hey guys,
i finished my savage x ss yesterday and i was breaking it in this morning, but even when the carby is just about completely closed, the wheels manage to spin?

i have a 3 speed tranny on there, and im sure i set up the clutch properly because i race pocket bikes and i know how important the clutch is, so i took my time with it.

what could it be?
cheers

#5 ·
Sorry mate, I didn't read your post properly. I've never actually ran in an engine the old method. I've always used heat cycling method.

I'm getting a bit rusty with nitro engines but I'm sure someone here can tell you the right way or new method:thumb:

#6 · (Edited)
as long as it's not spinning fast enough to grab the clutch, don't worry about it for now. if it's your first engine, set to break in settings and go from there. personally i think the heat cycle method is a bit messy for someone who's not familiar with tuning an engine.

after you break in according to the manual, you'll notice the performance will improve, and then you can get the engine to idle properly. you'll need to re-tune the engien every few tanks as the engine performance continues to improve.

#7 ·
well what i have been doing is i have taken the wheels off and i let it sit there idling, and the wheels spin. the clutch is engaging at such low rpm for some reason.

#9 ·
how fast is it spinning?

if the spinning is slow (less than one rev every 4 secs or so), the clutch appears to be engaging because your clutch pads are new, and because there's very little resistance.

#10 ·
nah it spins quite rapidly. it is probably spinning faster because i dont have the wheels on so there is less mass to move. ill have a look at it later

#11 ·
Hey mate,

Put your wheels back on...then block the truck up so the wheels are in the air...then carry on running it in... according to the manual.
If i remember correctly..you should run.. 1 to 2 tanks in this first proceedure...then its running it on the ground.:thumb:

Scottb

#12 ·
And you're sure you hooked the springs on the clutch up correctly? Does the engine SOUND like it's idling high? Next time you run it, put it on the ground and hold it there, don't let it move. If it stalls you know it could be the clutch locking on the bell, therefore locking the flywheel, meaning the clutch isn't setup correctly.

Cheers

#13 ·
yeah im pretty sure i hooked up the clutch correctly, because i took my time with it and made sure that it was done properly.
ill try it out now and see what is wrong

#14 ·
i gave up on trying to start it because it is an absolute bit** to turn over. it kills my hand. i want to get a roto start to make it easier. does anyone know if a roto start from an hpi t-15 engine will fit a 4.6?
cheers

#22 ·
ok, i heated it up and it made it so much easier to turn over, but i think there is a problem with the clutch, because it is engaging WAY to early. the wheels are spinning quick as with the slide open about 1mm.

what do i do?
cheers

#24 ·
yeah i can spin it freely.
yeah i havnt touched any of the settings on the carb, and i quickly went over them all to make sure they are flush

#25 ·
and i know i put the clutch springs on properly because i made sure i did, and the end result was that the clutch shoes were very hard to move and they sprung back when i pull them outwards, so im sure they are fine

#27 ·
yeah i would rather keep the engine at factory settings for the break in period. i just want to know if its the clutch or something else, because the slide is barely open soi think it might be the clutch, but i know the shoes are setup correctly

#29 ·
im located in brighton, melbourne 3186.
im in america at the moment, so i will be bringing a few bit back with me, like radio gear and a few other bits. any other hop ups i should buy while im here?
cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.