Australian RC Forums banner

how long should a D-cell ignitor last

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Oblivion 
#1 ·
i got a d-cell ignitor when i got my savage, how long should a battery last in it

#4 ·
Mr DOHC said:
i got a d-cell ignitor when i got my savage, how long should a battery last in it

Glowplug draws quite a bit of current anda single D-size alkaline will last a fair while, say 30-40 mins continuous. But that current really kills it.

Use 2 D-cell alkalines in parallel and you'll triple their life. (I got a external battery box where I can use multiple D-cells... 1, 2, 3... up to 6!)

As you've only got room for 1 cell, best to go buy a NiMH cell. Get the real solid heavy ones with minimum 9000mAh, they go up to about 13,000mAh I think. Cost about $20 each. Fully charged,should last you at least 2-3 hrs continuous use.

Avoid the fake-o D-cell rechargeables which are lightweight and only offer 3000mAh or less. There's a subC hiding under the phat casing.

#6 ·
As much as I hate Jaycar (personal bad experience), I'll be fair & equitable to say there's probably some jaycrap that will suit this purpose.

If there's a store near you, Battery World can definitely get you something too but I'd say jaycrap will probably be cheaper.

#8 ·
i made a DIY glow igniter. a C-size connected to a Glow plug starter.

anyone know why the starter Draws power even though the glow lighter is not connecter to a glow plug?

i have to unplug the battery from the glow stick to stop it from losing power over a few days.

#9 ·
u connected it wrong.. there has to be a plastic spacing between the
middle metal part and the outer part which sits over the glow plug..

there has to be some sort of seperator there..

its just shorting out without this.. i bet it gets warm too?

#10 ·
hmm not really sure how i can connect it wrong.... its the glow sticks you buy from the LHS $9bux... its metal and has 2 wires (red and black)that you hook up to a 1.5v battery. if i don't disconnet it draws a small current. and in 2 days the battery will be dead. if i unhook it and only hook it up when i use it, then it will last me months

#11 ·
KyoshoKev said:
hmm not really sure how i can connect it wrong.... its the glow sticks you buy from the LHS $9bux... its metal and has 2 wires (red and black)that you hook up to a 1.5v battery. if i don't disconnet it draws a small current. and in 2 days the battery will be dead. if i unhook it and only hook it up when i use it, then it will last me months

i was thinking about one of these, r they good, u connect it to one of the really big 9V batteries dont u????

#12 ·
Mr DOHC said:
the only charger i have is one that suits AA and AAA, and i'm not gonna buy a new one.

ahh, plug pack chargers are cheap.

hobbyone has an AC rechargeable ignitor with a sub-c cell in it for $25, would that be ok

Only trouble with the subC ones are, they always go flat midway when you're having fun. So need to carry spare cells (if cell is swappable) or carry multiples. That AC charger is no good out in the field.

SubC is the most handy size too.

#14 ·
zoomer said:
Get the real solid heavy ones with minimum 9000mAh, they go up to about 13,000mAh I think. Cost about $20 each. Fully charged,should last you at least 2-3 hrs continuous use.

Avoid the fake-o D-cell rechargeables which are lightweight and only offer 3000mAh or less. There's a subC hiding under the phat casing.

i was at battery packs australia today, and he told me about that aswell, its such a cheeky trick and explains why arlec D batt's are so light.

He showed me a 8.2Amp hour (8200mah) D size and man it has some weight to it compared to my crappy arlecs (i got em many yrs ago)

I use 3000 sub C panasonic batt in my ignitor, and so do all my mates.

It lasts me about 2 litres of fuel before it needs a recharge, but because i have a peak detecting charger i usually top it up anyway. And i always carry a spare just incase. If your engine is an easy + reliable starter it will last a long time. but if your having probs thats when you will flatten it a lot quicker.

If you want un-official panasonic batteries orcustom packs madefor anything at all (except automotive) their good quality batt's at a good price, contact Battery packs australia, theyre a small shop in Adelaide but does aust. post country wide..

batterypacks@iprimus.com.au or 08-83366828 and ask for Tim.

no i dont get paid for that endorsement, but me and all my mates (about 5 of us) use and are impressed with his batts quality.Edited by: Oblivion

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.