Australian RC Forums banner

Dash 8

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Big Bro 
#1 ·
Hey guys.

I'm debating wether to stick with my MT, and get a buggy to go racing with, or build a fairly big model dash 8.

I found a wood model made by RT models, but its electric powered. I'd prefer nitro - after all, its a dash 8 - last time I saw one fly over, it wasnt silent, or near silent.

So what are your thoughts on a twin nitro engine powered shoulder wing engine mounted plank? I know that tuning the engines for symmetric thrust will be a pain, but it sure would look and sound cool.

#3 ·
Truggy's are loads of fun.... I have one.

However it's just my personal opinion (a basher here and soon to be racer so this may change, but I doubt it) that due to the speed and nimble nature of the buggy, they are a bit more fun!

Dash, The higher ground clearance of a truggy means you can bash in rougher terrain, but you can do that now with your truck mate.

I would suggest buggy as it’s NOT close to what you have now. Then after you have some fun with a buggy, get a Truggy. (When you do get a Hyper ST Pro)

Thinking about it, I got a truck first. Then a buggy.. Then another buggy (So my day wasn’t over) then a Truggy.

My RC Preference is:

1 - Buggy
2 - Truggy
3 - Truck

Dan.

#4 ·
Well you'll be interested to know that at the track, the truggies produce faster lap times! They take to the track alot better whereas buggies tend to get thrown around as the surface has seen better days and is a bit rough. Some of the truggies are just as quick as some of the buggies too!

#5 ·
Hey guys.

I'm debating wether to stick with my MT, and get a buggy to go racing with, or build a fairly big model dash 8.

I found a wood model made by RT models, but its electric powered. I'd prefer nitro - after all, its a dash 8 - last time I saw one fly over, it wasnt silent, or near silent.

So what are your thoughts on a twin nitro engine powered shoulder wing engine mounted plank? I know that tuning the engines for symmetric thrust will be a pain, but it sure would look and sound cool.
I would go for the plane, however I prefer planes a little more. If this is your first venture into plane's, you would want to ensure that you get a lot of training from those at a model flying club, so that you are not dissapointed with the investment that you're making. The guys there will also give the plane the 'once over' to ensure the weight and balance is good, as well as other general 'airworthiness' type checks.

Large models are fun as they look good, and you can add a lot of detail to them easily, however they require special transport/storage considerations. Also, if you're making it mostly (or totally) from scratch, there are a couple of areas where you need to pay particular attention to. If you decide to go this way, I can provide some more advice if you like.

Tuning the two engines for symmetrical thrust shouldn't be too hard, as there is usually plenty of adjustment between the pushrods and servos. Also, given that you've already had experience with your MT, breaking in and setting the mixtures correctly shoudln't be a major problem for you either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.