Australian RC Forums banner

New Boat... Need More POWER!

3K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  direwolf 
#1 · (Edited)
So i have just bought an electric Hydro that can bee seen here:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Hugh-72cm-Sp...oryZ2564QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It seems well made for somthing as cheep as it is... I wasnt expecting any thing much but...

The speed is the main problem... walking pace? i wish!

So now i ask my question... would a helicopter brushless system work? the motors are the same size but would they provide the same kind of drive...

The two esc setup it has now would also be a problem... is there any hard wear for wireing them up? like a Y harness?
Or could i just conect the motors to one esc in series?

This is the setup i was looking at.... dual 11.4 lipo batteries aswell
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Mystery-5000...ryZ34055QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

So sorry for all the questions :p but i hope to here some feedback :)

See less See more
#2 ·
The main problem with that boat Bazooka Joe, is that it's cheap ABS plastic, rather than fibreglass..

I've got a couple of fibreglass numbers (twin hull and deep vee) and you get some decent caranuba wax on the hulls, polish them nice, and they cut thru the water like nothing else!

Plastic boats tend to 'float' on the water with a bobbing motion, rather than cut thru the water like a decent fibreglass number. They're more designed for beginners as they're a lot slower, and a lot more stable.

#3 ·
yea... its heavey as hell... i thought if i buy cheep and upgrade with the motors above it might be a little more fun...

Also can i replace the white polystyre with that expanding builders foam? will that just make it more boyant and less performance

Also it seems to let in alot of water... seals are poo :( so ill seal them up if i upgrade the motors...

Now i realy to know whether the motors above will work... There designed for helis but the dimentions are the same so shouldnt they work?

Cheers :)

#4 ·
I can't see why it wouldn't, they don't cost much so you haven't got much to lose if they don't work. Maybe also try different propellers?
Don't make the mistake of spending a buttload of cash on something cheap to get it working like something expensive, do the math and if its feasable just buy a good boat that goes as fast as you want and you won't have any of the hassles that you will with this boat.

#5 ·
yea its not exactly a big investment... i just wanted to know if they would be sutable and if could run 2 motors of one esc or if i could run 2 esc in parralel from a 2ch reciever...
Thanks anyway :) now i need to see if the big bosses will allow for a little more investment :)

#6 ·
At the end of the day, wether you go for upgraded motors, brushed or not, you're going to need to upgrade the battery, the ESC, and more than likely, the servos too...this is going to cost you a couple of hundred, and all you've really got is a cheap boat, with expensive internals.

If you want a brushless boat, for a decent price, try an Aquacraft Miss Daisy, or a Black Jack 55 - both brushless.

#7 ·
Well i finaly got round to ordering the stuff i needed for improving it at a good price not im playing the w8ting game :( Shipping from hong knog to england... not exactly quick

I still need to know whether i can run 2 esc from one channel on my radio via a Y harness... will it work?

#8 ·
Well, in theory, it should work..but you must be careful of voltages and current flow (i think thats the term)..
you don't want to be 'sailing' the thing, and suddenly have the second ESC lose power because the first one is drawing it all...

#10 ·
Yea that was my problem as well... the hull dosnt seal well from factory so the water comes in pretty easily. that is fixed now... i hope.
Chizz they run of a battery each esc so it shouldnt realy be a problem loosing power but it might overload the reciever/servo (is that posible?)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.